PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Royal Blue

Dax Lander
12-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of building my first custom saber. I decided to to go with a Royal Blue (love the color), but wasn't sure which led to use. I read the ratings on the K2 and lux V, and maybe i am reading it wrong, but from what i gather the K2 would be brighter at 750 Mw. I am not sure but doesn't voltage also play a part on brightness? If anyone has both of the LED's and can shed some light (no pun) on which would be brighter! again forgive my ignorance.

Thanks for your help.

Lord Maul
12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
A K2 will be brighter than a 3 watt. A 5 watt will be brighter than a K2. All the luxeons follow this pattern EXCEPT the reds.

Dax Lander
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok cool. so the typical lumens doesn't matter where the Royal Blues are concerned. It is more the watts that drive the brightness.

Thanks for the Answer!

Soulkeeper7700
12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
im glad you asked this question Dax... as it was something i also was a little confused about. :)

darthdan
12-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Umm... you sure about that? I was pretty sure that the K2 is brighter for RB?

Dax Lander
12-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Yea i seem to get different answers.

Lord Maul
12-09-2007, 05:18 PM

5 watters are always brighter than their K2 counterparts, to my knowledge.

xwingband
12-09-2007, 05:37 PM

In terms of the ratings they give them, yes. In real world terms the V is better. That's because it has four wafers in it and puts out what a lot of flashlight people call a "flood pattern". The K2 may put out a brighter center pattern but the same size spot of a V is fuller. For a lightsaber blade this is better.

To me it's about efficiency... the V isn't it. I can't wait until Rebels are widely available as stars because they lend well to small optics like we use and equal K2's at less power required. All the ones I've done so far are smashing. :)

Dax Lander
12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Thank You Xwing!

ok so in terms of watts Lux V is brighter then the K2 and thus is ideal for a saber. Now, do the Rebels have to soldered to a lux star? if not where would i be able to get my hands on one? I might have to send my hilt to you, if i don't wanna mess this up..lol

Hasid Lafre
12-10-2007, 01:29 AM
If its a parks saber wanting to be converted to lux, dealing with rebel led, installation and troubleshooting of the CFSB to Xwing you must send your hilt.

More than likly iam gonna send my hilt to x for install of a cfsb some day.

xwingband
12-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Thank You Xwing!

ok so in terms of watts Lux V is brighter then the K2 and thus is ideal for a saber. Now, do the Rebels have to soldered to a lux star? if not where would i be able to get my hands on one? I might have to send my hilt to you, if i don't wanna mess this up..lol

I've been ordering my Rebels from www.led-tech.de

They're on a PCB but not a star. You have to use thermal epoxy/tape to hold them down on a heatsink. They also carry the appropriate optics.

Unless you have the epoxy/tape it's not gong to be too cost effective with the exchange rate, but it is great for those tight spaces.

------------------------

"In terms of watts"

Errr... I don't like that way of saying it. A V is four I wafers in one. 2 in series then 2 paralleled. That gives it the nice flood pattern.

If you look at watts though the K2 is not lacking at all. 3.9 x 1.5 = 5.85W

A V is 6.84 x .7 = 4.78W

Basically I like efficiency. The V is the monster truck, the K2 the revved up car and Rebel is like a refined German Porsche. All will get you doing crazy things but a Porsche will get you there at 100+ mph without straining and in style to boot. Efficiency is the future... we can always pack more wafers in one LED but it will reach a limit at some point.

Dax Lander
12-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I was looking at this site http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_category.php?id=1394&link_str=1394
If i do get one do i need just one or several? Man this might get too hard for me, i just started to build my own.

xwingband
12-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Those are bare emitters... you don't want those. Those ARE too hard to work with. You sneeze and you might blow the thing away... I'm not even joking.

If you want Rebels www.led-tech.de is where I've been getting them. They have mounted ones and the optics needed.

Dax Lander
12-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Those are bare emitters... you don't want those. Those ARE too hard to work with. You sneeze and you might blow the thing away... I'm not even joking.

If you want Rebels www.led-tech.de is where I've been getting them. They have mounted ones and the optics needed.

Ah! Ok! now i see what your saying! I didn't see the small pad it was on the first time i looked. It looks pretty simple, what type of power source would you use in that set-up?

xwingband
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Ah! Ok! now i see what your saying! I didn't see the small pad it was on the first time i looked. It looks pretty simple, what type of power source would you use in that set-up?

LEDs are LEDs... you treat them all the same. Look at the specs and find out what they like/need.

Rebels are just slightly below III's and K2's for voltage and can go up to 1A. The rest is up to you... what can you fit is about the more important thing. There is no miracle battery pack.

Hasid Lafre
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2714

That was shown to me, its 5.5" long and is a 7.4V li-ion that makes 2400mah.

Kinda weak imo but for 7.4V and 2400mah in that small of a package I would get a couple of them

Dax Lander
12-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I am going to stay away from rechargable batteries until i know exactly what i am doing. I feel its a bit too advanced for my lvl of soldering and building skills.

Novastar
12-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Dax... to help you with future rechargeable projects:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2402

Some advantages to rechargeables over disposables:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2519

It is a smart decision to first do a little research on battery cells to decide for yourself the best avenue for your projects...

Dax Lander
12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey Novastar,
Thanks for posting! You have opened my eyes to the possiblity of rechargeable batteries. But, i will do as you say and research before applying to my build. Like i said i never really used a soldering gun so it might be beyond my skill, but it doesn't mean i wont give it a shot. If i feel comfortable enough to attempt, then hey why not.

Novastar
01-03-2008, 04:53 PM
If I can learn how to do all this wiring/soldering stuff in less than a year... so can you!

Good luck... :)

Malaki Skywalker
01-04-2008, 06:59 AM
All the ones I've done so far are smashing. :)

Xwing your starting to sound like us smashing old brit's :lol:

www.led-tech.de are offering Seoul P4's in royal blue, Seoul's and Rebels IMO are as good as each other, so if you want bright with a 3 watt set up thats your best bet :D Powered right Seouls are brighter then a V, as far as i know

Xwing is the Master of the Seouls and Rebels, so to Xwing listen you must :lol:

Hasid Lafre
01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
If only I could understand the language.

Malaki Skywalker
01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
If only I could understand the language.

Theres a little union jack flag on the site, click on it and you have English :D

Jedi-Loreen
01-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey Novastar,
Thanks for posting! You have opened my eyes to the possiblity of rechargeable batteries. But, i will do as you say and research before applying to my build. Like i said i never really used a soldering gun so it might be beyond my skill, but it doesn't mean i wont give it a shot. If i feel comfortable eneough to attempt, then hey why not.

Unless you are speaking generically, don't use a soldering gun, those aren't meant for fine soldering and are heavy and unwieldy. I've heard of younger guys trying to use those on lightsabers, because their dad had one in the garage.

Get yourself a pencil type soldering iron, it's much easier to handle.

Dax Lander
01-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Unless you are speaking generically, don't use a soldering gun, those aren't meant for fine soldering and are heavy and unwieldy. I've heard of younger guys trying to use those on lightsabers, because their dad had one in the garage.

Get yourself a pencil type soldering iron, it's much easier to handle.

Yea bought the pencil type soldering iron the other day, now im just waiting for my TCSS package to arrive. I ordered the blade parts and will construct the blade first, then i will try to order the Royal blue led. I need to wait a bit cause when i ordered my blades i wanted to get the Heatsink too, but they were out.