PDA

View Full Version : What is Powdercoating? :insert confused expression here:

Altair
12-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I think the name of the topic here says it all, but what exactly is powdercoating and how is it different from spray paint? Ive seen the effect it has on the metal, but im still confused.

Soulkeeper7700
12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
ok,powder coating is like paint, but it is in fine powder form.. and the powder gets electrostatically charged with a negative charge, and the item being powder coated is positively charged, and the powder sticks to the item... then it has to be baked at close to 400 degrees F to cure it so it hardens. what it left is a very even coloring, and its super resistant to drops and nicks, unlike paint. think of it as a rhino lining that they use for truck beds... the only real downside i can think of, is that the powder coating makes the item thicker in diameter. so if u have a piece that it lets say just under 1.5 inches in diameter, the finished result may end up being over 1.5 inches. im useing some common sense knowledge i have to help you, but to get a better idea, ask tim. hes the one doing the powder coating... or check out this Wiki link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdercoating

hope i was of some help..

vortextwist
12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
google is your friend.

Altair
12-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah, i checked out that as well (after i posted this here, heh, go figure) but it seems like a good idea. but is it realy that much more expensive to do this rather than spray paint?

also, maybe this should be stickied for others who are lazy, like me =P

Lord Maul
12-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes, it is more expensive. Put it this way:

Take two pieces of bendable (say 1/32 inch steel) and paint them. One with Powdercoat, one with regular spray paint.

Now bend them both over, so the ends touch each other.

The powdercoat will show no signs of wear, no cracking, no chipping. The spray paint will of flaked off.

This thread shouldn't be stickied (in my opinion). We expect people to NOT be lazy and to look for the information before asking.

Altair
12-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah, guess youre right. And thanks, that helps me even more....... i think ill go with spray paint for now =P

Madcow
12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
I've had really good resuts with metal paints or rust paints like tremclad. the trick is letting them dry for 5 days without touching them. Much better than model paint!

MC

LordJaivus
12-07-2008, 05:19 AM
So would having something anodized be any cheaper than having it powder coated?

Lord Maul
12-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Tim has reallly low price for powercoating. I doubt you could get anything cheaper.

I got my MHS PC'd before he offered it and it cost about a 100 bucks all said and done.

xwingband
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
No, anodizing is even worse for prices. Ano has hazardous chemicals and has a very defined process to prep the metals. If you can't fill the tank you're wasting money and time.

With powdercoat Tim can switch guns for colors and it's not all that different from painting. Heck if parts aren't to big he can roast them in a toaster oven and get multiples done at varying times.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
powdercoating is much nicer than paint (waaaaay more durable). When I started PCing stuff I threw my paint away...

RandallFlagg
12-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I've actually been sitting here wondering how much it'd cost to have a small setup here at home to powdercoat small items like sabre parts. I've already been looking at a small lathe for a tabletop setup....

Hmmmm.

Kal El Rah
12-09-2008, 10:43 PM
If You have a Harbor Freight Hardware store near you, they sell portable PC equipment cheap and I am pretty sure the have the Powders. remember that you will have to sacrifice some type of oven to back the paint.

RandallFlagg
12-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Oh, sweet! Thanks for the tip.