PDA

View Full Version : Lux Con. 3 or 5

Geist
12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I am thinking about converting my mace ROTS MR to LED. i wanted to know if i could use a LUX V LED in it instead of the LUX 3.... will if fit, will the saber power it, will it over heat, ect?

Thanks

xwingband
12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Saber won't power a V (without extensive modifications that is). Pretty simple... stick to LEDs with lower voltages like a III, K2 or Rebel.

Hasid Lafre
12-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Agrees

Sethski
12-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Indeedy - I've read of a some people converting using the Luxeon Rebel XWing mentions and also a Seoul P4, both of which shine brighter than the lux III or k2 when run off the MR board.
Just to clarify, are you talking about a white LED with a view to using a purple filter or are you going to use an LED in a different colour?

xwingband
12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
That's a good point. If you want white... V isn't needed. I would suggest the Seoul P4 or it's Cree cousin. Higher bins are coming out soon if I'm not mistaken...

Whites:
Lux III 90 lumens
Lux V 120 lumens
Lux K2 140 lumens
Lux Rebel 200-220 lumens (a range as they don't publish 1A specs and I'm guessing conservatively, .7A is 180 lumens though)
Seoul P4 240 lumens

All at the same volts and amps as a III you'll get loads more bang for your punch. The Rebel is a decent buy too... they're tint is usually better for what we like, but the Seoul is identical to III's so there is no need for special optics and such.

For colors IMO Rebels (and their dies that might be put in others) are going to be the future. Unfortunately their ease of use is hindering wide adoption. Other than people buying the tri-rebel endor because of the "OMG 500 lumens" idea... no one that knows what they are doing has given too much attention to them.

MATRIXtjb
12-12-2007, 08:57 PM
well there is actually enough voltage in the mace pack but you will have to maintain the 4.5 volts to the Sound board. a regulator would be needed. 6 AA cells makes 9 volts the mace only needs the parallel link in the batt pack removed and a regulator going to the soundboard and you got it for the most part. Just slap in an RGB rebel and your good to go add a switch next to the main power use them to turn on the other colors have a purple in no time...lol just what i may try nd do

xwingband
12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
well there is actually enough voltage in the mace pack but you will have to maintain the 4.5 volts to the Sound board. a regulator would be needed. 6 AA cells makes 9 volts the mace only needs the parallel link in the batt pack removed and a regulator going to the soundboard and you got it for the most part. Just slap in an RGB rebel and your good to go add a switch next to the main power use them to turn on the other colors have a purple in no time...lol just what i may try nd do

Which is why I prefaced my first reply by EXTENSIVE modification.

That is A LOT to do. A regulator would need a heatsink as that's a lot to regulate. And Rebels are far from easy to use either.

MATRIXtjb
12-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Didnt seem too hard to do to me but thats just me. But yea for someone who is a novice with electronics yes its very extensive.

Hasid Lafre
12-14-2007, 04:47 AM
I wouldent mess around with a luxv for an mr conversion. to much hassel for the fact that theres led with almost the same lumen output as a luxv.

Darth Morbius
12-24-2007, 07:49 AM
But if you're dead set on using an MR hilt, why Keep the stock sound?

Use a CF or a Ultrasound, and use whatever LED you want.