PDA

View Full Version : A USB Charger for sabers?

ti-el_terall
12-02-2007, 09:38 PM
I remember Firebird talking about this awhile ago, and I think I might like to try it. We all know that iPod and MP3 player chargers are cominly available, but woudl they over charge the batterie?

Anyways, I would most likely buy a bunch of cheapo USB cables then add them to the inside of a saber. And like I said above, an iPod charger might work, as It uses 3.7 bateries.

What do you guys think?

Novastar
12-03-2007, 02:10 AM
How goes it Ti-El? Long time no hear I think... :)

What you are suggesting sounds fine at first, but... I'm fairly certain the device itself contains a circuit or program to monitor the voltage/current applied. If you simply hook up a "USB cord saber" to a computer... you might indeed blow your batts!

You could always look to try ADAPTING a pre-made Li-Ion charger to get its power from your computer...

However, I suppose you might want to think of other more practical possibilities too...

1. Wall chargers -- well, an outlet is pretty common to find anywhere, and you need not have a computer on!
2. 12v converted car adapter -- perfect for a cigarette lighter in a car if properly set up. I've done something like this for when I went to C4... although we didn't need it... :(
3. Quick-change cords -- I've outfitted all of my wall chargers with quick-disconnect style plugs... so that I can change the ports in the sabers someday if need be.

Personally, I've always hated how the Ipods MUST be plugged into a computer... and they can freak out if you unplug early, since they CAN mis-read or "mis-set" the reported current/voltage in the batteries to the Ipod.

So... MISE EN GARDE!! :) Be careful, Ti...

ti-el_terall
12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
How goes it Ti-El? Long time no hear I think... :)

What you are suggesting sounds fine at first, but... I'm fairly certain the device itself contains a circuit or program to monitor the voltage/current applied. If you simply hook up a "USB cord saber" to a computer... you might indeed blow your batts!

You could always look to try ADAPTING a pre-made Li-Ion charger to get its power from your computer...

However, I suppose you might want to think of other more practical possibilities too...

1. Wall chargers -- well, an outlet is pretty common to find anywhere, and you need not have a computer on!
2. 12v converted car adapter -- perfect for a cigarette lighter in a car if properly set up. I've done something like this for when I went to C4... although we didn't need it... :(
3. Quick-change cords -- I've outfitted all of my wall chargers with quick-disconnect style plugs... so that I can change the ports in the sabers someday if need be.

Personally, I've always hated how the Ipods MUST be plugged into a computer... and they can freak out if you unplug early, since they CAN mis-read or "mis-set" the reported current/voltage in the batteries to the Ipod.

So... MISE EN GARDE!! :) Be careful, Ti...

Yeah, My pc has been on the fritz for quit some time now.

I might try to adapt some of those batterie powere iPod chargers, if I hooked up the charger to the PC then to the saber it might work.

Although, I might as well just make a wall chrager with USB +/- ports, then the saber can still be run off a PC