PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to tapping... the force will not be with you

B5813
11-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Just a word of caution for those who tap thicker parts of the MHS such as the emitter... tap it then back it... especially with a smaller tap like a 6/32... it's pretty flimsy and extremely prone to breaking off under hard torque. I learned my lesson tonight... heard that sound nobody wants to hear while tapping... SNAP! Broke the tap off flush at the surface of the emitter. Don't force the tap and overtorque the turns. I saw someone else out here say give it a full turn then back it out a bit to clear the hole before proceeding.

vortextwist
11-23-2007, 06:08 AM
that should all be common knowledge. Sorry it happened to you, taps don't drill out easy.

Hasid Lafre
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
about the only thing I can think of to get it out is small but long needel nose pliers and work it out by screwing it out which ever way will be easyer.

strengthofrage
11-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I used to work in a machine shop, it happened all the time. A good way to back it out is a paper clip and vice grips. Use wire cutters to cut two pieces of the paper clip, slide them into the hole on both open sides of the tap and then clamp down with the vice grips as close to the tap as possible. If you take your time you can back it out. Tap wax helps too.

Do-Clo
11-23-2007, 09:00 PM
When tapping a hole is a good idea to use some lubracation in the hole first (I use oil) and then go slowly with the tap.

Jedi-Loreen
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I try to avoid using anything with a 6/32 thread in thicker metal. Even with being careful, I've been through several of that size tap, they are very easy to break. :roll:

pipster79
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
when i was in machine shop class, and in school for mechanics. we were always tought, when tapping, always, always back of one quarter turn for every full turn, and use lots of lubrication.
you should never beak a tap with this meathood..no matter what size your using.
ive never once broke a tap of any size in 15 years of using them