PDA

View Full Version : Is that all? (saber's parts checklist)

Alai Sadu
11-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi again, can you please take a look to my shopping chart and see if i forgot something?

LED "Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD 24"
LED basic electronics kit - K2 White
Luxeon 3w driver-Latching 3w driver (what's the difference between latching and momentary?)
5" Double female threaded connector
MPS Pommel style 1
Black rubber switch boot
8-32 x 13/32" Thumb Screw
Machined button for Covertec clip
8-32 socket head
Screw on LED blade holder style 4
MPS Insert style 2
MPS Clip

Did i forgot something?

I plan on adding a soundcard when us will be restocked or if i find a cheap MR...

Note: since i don't have sound for the moment i want to put the power switch on the bottom of the hilt, i hope it is not too hard...

MATRIXtjb
11-19-2007, 04:12 AM
you may want to make the saber longer at that rate itll be 8 inches at most and you will have trouble fitting soundboard and bat pack

Alai Sadu
11-19-2007, 05:59 AM
you may want to make the saber longer at that rate itll be 8 inches at most and you will have trouble fitting soundboard and bat pack

Nice suggestion thanks.

chase
11-19-2007, 06:51 AM
You want a 24" blade? Thats mighty short for a saber. Mine is 36". Also you probably don't know this, but 2" of the blade goes into the blade holder, so you lose it. If you are doing a one hand saber for more fencing/short sword type stuff, a 32"-34" works well.

Alai Sadu
11-19-2007, 06:59 AM
You want a 24" blade? Thats mighty short for a saber. Mine is 36". Also you probably don't know this, but 2" of the blade goes into the blade holder, so you lose it. If you are doing a one hand saber for more fencing/short sword type stuff, a 32"-34" works well.

In fact i'm building a shoto. ^^
24" or 60cm is the exact blade's measure of my chinese sword used for martial art, it is the lenght from my wirst to my ear (yes i know i'm yoda size ^^).

chase
11-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Is it a Tai-Chi sword or broad sword? I think broad swords are longer than that. Your choice though man. The thing with lightsabers is you can use them for all types of sword forms, katanas, Tai-Chi, broad sword, staff, long sword, anything really. Its like a mix of everything. Thats why I suggested having a longer blade. If you have a larger hilt it makes a big difference too.

Alai Sadu
11-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Is it a Tai-Chi sword or broad sword? I think broad swords are longer than that. Your choice though man. The thing with lightsabers is you can use them for all types of sword forms, katanas, Tai-Chi, broad sword, staff, long sword, anything really. Its like a mix of everything. Thats why I suggested having a longer blade. If you have a larger hilt it makes a big difference too.

It's a Tai-chi one, but i think i'm gonna keep my lightsaber just for costuming and lightsaber combat since if my sifu sees me practice with a lightsaber i think he'll kill me ^^

ArkaiHalon
11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
unless you build him one too.

TimeRender
11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Corbin's drivers come in momentary and latching configurations to match the kind of switch that you use. A momentary switch only makes electrical contact while you are pressing it down, while a latching switch makes constant contact once you press it until you press it again to release. It doesn't matter very much which board you get, just as long as you get the correct switch.

chase
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I understand. I took Tai-Chi for about a year. Get a lightsaber and have it just like a real one for costume purpose(36'' blade coming out of the blade holder/38'' overall). It will be like learning a new type of sword.

goldsaberwarrior
11-21-2007, 12:10 AM
I bought a momentary driver and a latching switch. You can hook a latching switch up to momentary driver. If you do this you must hit the button twice to turn it on or off. If you hit it once it'll be drawing some current but not enough to actually activate the saber. Once you hit it again it'll turn it all the way on. If you're turning it off it'll use energy after the 1st hit still, after the 2nd it'll be off.

TimeRender
11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes but this is pointless and can lead to problems, such as accidentally leaving your lightsaber on when you think you have it turned off. Also, it doesn't work the way you seem to think it works GSW. When the driver is in momentary configuration it is looking for the circuit on the switch to be closed and then opened again. A latching switch will close the circuit with the first press and open it again with the second. It is the second press that gives the driver the instruction to activate or deactivate the saber. It's not that the saber isn't drawing enough power to turn it on after the first press, it's just that you haven't finished giving the driver the command yet. Honestly Alai, it's better just to be sure that you get a latching switch for a latching driver or a momentary switch for a momentary driver. You'll save yourself a lot of confusion this way.