PDA

View Full Version : looking for a MR speakers

Tekka
11-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Anyone got a MR speaker they wanna sell me? I just punch a hole in mines by accident with a soldering iron and it no longer works... I would love to get one of tim's speakers but $15 for a speaker is a bit much.

Also what are the specs of these speakers? i was gonna pick up a radio shack speaker but i saw it was rated at 8ohms .1 watt which is like terrible...

Novastar
11-18-2007, 12:56 AM
The TCSS speakers are $6.

I would highly recommend them over any MR speaker, any day.

If people question my thinking on that... just know that I use 36mm and 45mm speakers from the same source. It's a good speaker, no matter how you slice it.

Jay-gon Jinn
11-18-2007, 12:57 AM
I think he means with shipping, it's 15 bucks.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 01:05 AM
or if your in canada like me 25 bucks with the shipping

Tekka
11-18-2007, 01:09 AM
got your pm pipster I can't wait for those 1.5w speakers. Btw are how loud are they and how big of a resonance chamber do i need for the best sound possible?

Novastar
11-18-2007, 01:16 AM
Resonance chambers make a big difference with almost any speaker. In general, saber "real estate" is tough to come by--especially for blank space, but... an inch or so should nicely.

As to shipping... that is the cost of doing business. This is not something that most any business can somehow "erase". Not even Erv.

If you think about it logically... these days: very few make any profit off of shipping costs. The speaker costs $6 for TCSS to make a profit. The shipping is what it is if you're in a different country or what not.

Otherwise... I'd recommend going to a local electronics store and getting creative or what not.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 01:21 AM
well for max quality i would recomend going to a hardware store and getting a 1 inch pvc pipe coupler tere about 2.5 inches long and there only bout 2 bucks, u can play with it a bit and cut it down if u need room but the way it is sounds great, slide the speaker down to the lip and u got great volume behind and infront of the speaker, but if u need room in the hilt u can cut it down a bit like i had to with my graflex saber

Tekka
11-18-2007, 04:12 AM
I totally understand and i'm all for tim's buisness to do well but i just thought it was a bit much to charge $8.71 for something that could fit inside a small envelope to ship from Washington state to Los Angeles. Does he have a flat rate for shipping? My last order of poly tubes and Led stuff was about the same price to ship i think. I tried looking for speakers in a couple of stores but noone had any speaker that were 1w, i even destroyed a few toys but all of them were either too big or too weak to be of any use. Next time i build another saber i'll make it a big order with extras incase so i don't run into these situations again.

Speaking of resonance would you reccomend 1 inch in front or back of the speaker? Or even 1 inch on both sides of the speaker? also what do you guys use for an encap on a 1.24 sink tube. I would use the chrome caps that tims sells but i want somehting with holes or vents for the speaker.

vortextwist
11-18-2007, 06:56 AM
with my saber I haven't noticed any diff with room behind the speaker. I have my mr speaker right on the batt pack and 2 inches from the end of the saber. It's also louder then my maul or my other custom I'm workin on.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 08:28 AM
i also find the shippnig too much, tim puts 1 tiny little speaker in a big box thats about 12 x 10 x 2 now this is a lil over kill when i ordered speakers fom china all 10 came in a package that was only about 6 x 5 and 1.5, its no wonder shipping costs so much when u use a box 50 times to big and unneccassarly to big. when my crystal focus was sent it only cost 6 bucks to send from california to canada, and it arived no damage, same as the speakers from china, not one was harmed at all

now onto resonanc, myself i have found more behind speaker is good as well as in front if u can get an inch behind it and an inch or 2 in front u should find that sounds good, u will find the tones change quite a bit tho when u strart playing with it, so try a couple of ways and see what u like

vortextwist
11-18-2007, 09:01 AM
there has always been the option of emailing him about cheaper shipping if your ordering something small. I am frankly getting tired of you bashing tim, the store and his products.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 09:19 AM
i wasnt bashing tim merely stated its a bit of overkill for a box that big for a speaker so small, and fyi how am i supose to know b4 he sends it how big the box is gonna be, nor did i even think he would go cheaper shipping since he is a business and they tend to b firm on costs usualy, and i wasn bashing any of his products either, i think he has good products, that doesnt mean he has the best for everything now mind you, as for speakers i have foud better ones, but there are many other items tim does have that are fantastic, you cant exect somone to only use tim for a source for everything so settle down and be civil

Barmic Rin
11-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Play nice kiddies.....

I'm sure if you email Tim about shipping for just one item, he'll be reasonable about it.
As for prices, I work for an electronics company & still buy from Tim as even with my discount I get at work Tim is still cheaper after shipping, and there's a big ol' puddle between him & my letterbox! :D

Resonance wise, I have 3/4" between the back of my speaker & the battery pack, and about 1/4" infront. Sounds so sweet!

pipster79
11-18-2007, 09:46 AM
ya i normaly find a shorter space infont of it then there is behind much better, are u sealing the area behind the speaker?

Barmic Rin
11-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Nope. Just got an off-cut of plastic stuck to the end with electrical tape covering it. Works great for such a simple half-a$$ed job!

pipster79
11-18-2007, 10:01 AM
try sealing the chamber behind the speaker and let me know what u think, i think u will find it better

Lord Maul
11-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey pipster, try posting in ENGLISH for a change.

Novastar
11-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey Maul... what was unreadable about Pipster's comments?

Nothing. It was perfectly fine. So bury the attitude.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 03:50 PM
yes im getting really annoyed with people insulting for the heck of it, i dont see anything that could not be read as well

Altair
11-18-2007, 04:43 PM
That, and maybe alot of people who frequent here dont know english as a primary language? Did you even stop to think about that? Even if it is your primary language pipster, it dosent give him the right to insult you, or anyone like that.

Lord Maul
11-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Marsupial and Erv are both French, yet they can type perfect English. There are tons of other people on these forums as well who's primary language isn't English, yet they type like it is. All it takes is a little effort.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 05:33 PM
why dont you point out what could not be read as i dont see anyone else complaining or claiming that it cant be read

TimeRender
11-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I have to agree here... I understood everything Pip said. Maybe you just misread something Maul. Try reading it a little more slowly if you are having trouble.

Lord Maul
11-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Hmmm, maybe the part where in every sentence you feel compelled to say "u" instead of you. And then there are all the spelling errors

resonanc

tho

strart

shippnig

lil

fom

And then there is the lack of punctuation.

i also find the shippnig too much, tim puts 1 tiny little speaker in a big box thats about 12 x 10 x 2 now this is a lil over kill when i ordered speakers fom china all 10 came in a package that was only about 6 x 5 and 1.5, its no wonder shipping costs so much when u use a box 50 times to big and unneccassarly to big.

That should of been at least 3 sentences. Personally, this is what bugs me the most.

All of this was found in ONE post. Nearly all your posts are similar to this one too. This is my last say on the matter.

killphil
11-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Hmmm, maybe the part where in every sentance you feel compelled to say "u" instead of you. And then there are all the spelling errors

lol. Too ironic NOT to point out.

Lord Maul
11-18-2007, 05:53 PM
LOL

Too funny mate.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
oh god no, not a short form of a word, i guess some people dont know internet lingo, like tho sort for although

and i apologise for a missed letter here or there, i use a wireless keyboard and it often doesnt type everything i do and some times likes to throw a wrong letter here or there, u can still get the jist of it, heavin forbid its not perfect to an english teachers standards in an essay or something like that
and who really cares if it should b seperate sentacnes or not, u can still read the darn thing so stop bashing people and find somewhere better to get out ur frustrations

pipster79
11-18-2007, 06:01 PM
heres a crash course since in over 3000 posts uve never learned them obviously
u=you
ur=your or you're
tho=although or though
r=are
y=why
uve=you have
gettin the idea yet of internet short forms? i have after 15 years of using the internet

Angelus Lupus
11-18-2007, 06:19 PM
'u' for you I can just about tolerate, and 'y' I'll let pass, but 'uve' is just an ugly short form however you look at it.
As for who cares about sentence structure? Well, if it takes more than one read through to understand your post, then I care.
Having said that: I've seen worse posts than yours and I think Maul was a little out of line. Just know that some people do get bugged by the errors, and does it really take that much extra effort to proof-read or spell check before submitting a post? There is a preview button after all.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 06:32 PM
i apoligise for any errors, i am human and am not perfect, ill do my best to make sure you can understand my posts clearly. im used to typing very fast and only needing to get the jist of it out. where as many of you may still be in school and are worried about such things i am not, ive been done all my school for years now, and its life in the fast lane of work, fiance, bills, work at home, work on sabers, and other things so please forgive me if i happen to use some short forms, really ive never seen anybody have problems with short forms and such. maybe its just that most of you are from over seas and do things different i dont know.
anyhow the insulting is still uncalled for, and quite frankly immature

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Pipster,

I'm not bashing you here. I think the point is, that although your posts can be understood, it could be much easier to read if you used better spelling and punctuation. This isn't directed solely at you, this applies to everyone.

You obviously have good information to contribute, and we want to be able to understand what you are trying to say. Although it may be quicker to type, it's actually more difficult to read when you leave out punctuation, and use short forms.

It would be helpful, for a start, if you could use capital letters and periods to separate your sentences.

I hope that didn't come across as too judgemental. I'm just trying to calm the waters.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
By the way Pipster, (and in an attempt to drag this topic back on track,) thanks for the information about putting a space behind the speaker as well as in front. I'm going to try that.

Also, for anyone interested in making a speaker holder, an empty 35mm film canister just nicely fits inside the MHS. I cut the bottom off one and hot glued my speaker into it. Slides in beautifully.

Lord Maul
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM
i apoligise for any errors, i am human and am not perfect, ill do my best to make sure you can understand my posts clearly.

That is all I ask. Punctuation really helps understand posts.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 07:49 PM
a 1 inch pvc pipe coupler works great. If you can find the right one...it is 1inch in and 1 inch out, and has a small lip dead center that keeps the speaker perfectly in place. The tube is about 3 inches long, so you have room to play with it. Also since its pvc it cuts easily :)

in my graflex today i changed it to have about 3/4 of an inch behind and an inch in front, worked out very well

edit, forgot to mention they hold a 28mm speaker

pipster79
11-20-2007, 10:31 AM
obi-dar, im curious if you tried space behind the speaker yet, and how you found it to work for yourself?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I tried it tonight. I was surprised at the difference it made. I originally had about 1 1/2" in front of the speaker. I moved it so that I had 1/2" behind, and 1" in front. It actually made it sound more "growly" if you know what I mean. Kind of a deeper sound, and a bit louder.

I'm running with a Hasbro sound board, and it is at least twice as loud as it was in the original plastic saber.

For a cheap sound option, it actually sounds pretty good in my opinion.

pipster79
11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
just like the box for a sub in a car, or even the box that your speakers in your surround sound sit in, a speaker needs proper air volume behind it to get the right sound and loudness :) this is why when you take your speaker and move it half an inch into your resonance chamber it gives it better and louder sound :)
how much air volume that should be behind a speker depends on the speakrs design and power handling. its ok to guess here how much to place behind it, or you can experiment with different air volumes till u find that "sweet spot". thats what i did with my graflex.
first tried 1 and 1/2 inches behind and the same infront, then tried 1 behind and 2 infront, then tried half behind and 2 infront, and so forth...until i landed at about 3/4 behind and 1 infront. took a bit to find it, but i got my "sweet spot" now :)
also, sound directing helps, this is also why when you move the speaker into the resonance chamber rather then having it behind it, makes the sound louder and give it more grunt. the resonance chamber behind helps direct the soud waves better then just leaving it wide open to boucne every where with no direction

Novastar
11-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Absolutely correct.

Funny... we're getting a LOT of posts lately (or so it seems) on sound resonance.

The bottom line is... compare sound resonance to light diffusion. There is no "right" way... only better ways vs. less efficient ways and also result X (which is nice) and result Y (which may also be nice).

Corbin's film differs from a Gelu/Ultra style... and compare those to TCSS's diffuser. Which are "better"? Not really a relevant question... more like--which do you PREFER!

But, just like with diffuser film... you would not SKIP diffusion... just as you should not skip over sound resonance.

Playing with sound resonance is a cheap and simple way of "increasing" the value of your speaker. Any speaker, really.