PDA

View Full Version : Modular Question.

BenReilly
02-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm sure i'm going to get flamed for this but i'm a newb here so here goes. I searched and found a little here and there about the modular hilt....but i wasn't quite satisfied with the answers.

My question is this. Is the modular hilt just for begginers? It seems to be the easiest way to get started, and it also seems to be alot sturdier than the alternative. Next question is how hard is it to customize the Modular hilts...the only ones i've seen on here really didn't look that customized. I'm trying to figure out how to go about building my first saber. And i'm considering the modular system, but i want to be able to customize it to. In threads i found it said that the modular hilt was not difficult to drill...if this is the case then shouldn't you be able to modify it just as you can the other?

nich
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Ben,
I'm new hear too. But look through the tutorials they are great for finding helpful information. I'm not going with the MHS. Anything that you are going to pick up you are going to need tools to work with. From what I have read and seen of other peoples work any of the basic kits will get you started and on your way. Make a design first and then figure out what you need to build. And From what I have seen the MHS hilts can be just as custom as the graflex and sink tubs.

BenReilly
02-01-2006, 02:38 PM
also, what are the difference in the

Luxeon Collimator Lens 5° viewing angle and the
Luxeon Collimator Lens 10° viewing angle????

Strydur
02-01-2006, 02:41 PM
The MHS is not just for newbs but can be great for them. At the moment there is not any "bolt on" mods for the MHS but there will be many in the near future. You could modify the MHS with sink tube overlays..grips..paint..et..etc.. And have the added functionality of screw on end caps and a really sturdy saber.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

BenReilly
02-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Okay, so the Modular system is easier to get started, but you can still go all out with it? sounds good.....I also like that it's not chrome......Do you guys know if paint sticks to it easier?

xwingband
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by BenReilly

also, what are the difference in the

Luxeon Collimator Lens 5° viewing angle and the
Luxeon Collimator Lens 10° viewing angle????
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37&SearchTerms=corbin,lenses

Read that. Corbin hasn't posted it himself but I know I posted the inverted version of the photo which really shows you the difference, but for all purposes the diffference between a 5 and 10 is indistinguishable to the eye.

As for paint use good paints like epoxy paint which is meant for metals. Preperation will help too. If you're really interested talk to tetmatek, a member here, since he makes his living painting.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

BenReilly
02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I can get the paint covered, i used to sell it......i was just wondering if the modular was any better at hold paint since the surface seems to be less shiny......another thing....is the modular thick enuf to say put grooves in on a lathe?

Strydur
02-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Yes you could lightly groove the hilt. I will be building one over the next few days that should show this.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

dalvalucard
02-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Trust me there sturdy. I have given mine hell since I got it out of the box. Now I just cant wait to buy more.

The bird of Hermes is my name. Eating my wings to make me tame.

BenReilly
02-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the help guys....now it's time to start scrounging up money for my new project ! ! ! !