PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating colors??

Strydur
11-15-2007, 06:16 PM
We hope to be offering powder coating services soon. So...

What colors would you like to see offered the most? I am sure we will offer all eventually but I am trying to decide what to start with.

Er Dan Gill
11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Gloss, satin and flat black.
Gold
Copper
A high gloss clear coat.
Bronze
Blue
Red

Soulkeeper7700
11-15-2007, 06:47 PM
i agree with er dan there... but if u must select a top 3 to start with, black red and blue seem to be the easiest way to dabble in the powder coating awesome-ness. just out of curiosity, what will these services cost us saber lovers..... a ball park figure even...

love this site by the way Tim, im still very new to this all, but find myself on it quite often

AJ

Arm on Fire
11-15-2007, 07:05 PM
I would say black is a must, but any other "metal like" color ie. bronze, gold, copper etc. would be popular, allowing ordinary materials a more exotic look without the expense.

Novastar
11-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I second Er Dan Gill's color choices.

Pretty much covers it all, since... if you want something different, most all of those colors will allow for it.

valeon
11-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Ill go with Er Dan's list, but add a couple colors, gunmetal and green.

Strydur
11-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I am thinking to start I am going to do $20 per color. So if you want

5 parts in black = $20

3 parts black..4 parts red = $40

This will be for solid colors ie.. the whole piece is one color so I dont need to do taping etc..

But, if you where to order a Shilt4 for instance you can ask that it be coated before doing the grooves so that the grooves would look aluminum while the rest is colored. This would not be the same for something like the ribbed grooved mhs section as it is grooved before hand.

Any questions? Sound like a ok deal?

valeon
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Sounds ok for powdercoating, I could really go along with that. Maybe add a $5 fee for taping off painting.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
I'd like a ribbed v-groove done with black grooves. Could you just powder coat the whole thing, then put it in the lathe and knock the high points off so only the grooves are black? Would that be easier than all that taping?

How much would it cost either way?

Strydur
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Yes..that could be done. $20 for the powder coating..$10 for the lathe work.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. Hopefully by payday next week, you'll have them in stock, and I'll make an order.

Strydur
11-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Powder coating might not be ready by then..within the next two weeks I should be good to go though.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-15-2007, 09:05 PM
OK, then. Maybe by then, I can sell some crap on Ebay and not have to dip into the Christmas fund.

Lord Maul
11-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Flat black, Gloss black. Two most important colors.

Jonitus
11-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Is this service only going to be offered on new parts purchased from the store, or can we as customers send existing stuff in to have it powdercoated? Cas in point - I am working on a MHS-based Luke ROTJ V2 that powdercoating would be a nice option for me. Could I hypothetically send it in to get powdercoated?

Darth Zecks
11-16-2007, 12:09 AM
What can I say, Er Dan hit the nail on the head. With those choices just about everything us covered. I would add Valeons ideas to that list though, Gunmetal and Green.

37H4N
11-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Yep, I think Er Dan summed it up nicely.
Dacota will want a bone color for his Grievous saber.

Oh and if we can send in parts, I have a few parts on a saber I would like powter coated black. :wink:

Oh! just thought of a color, well not realy a color. White.

Strydur
11-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Yes you will be able to send in parts. They of course will need to be disassembled and clean.

And not only can you send in MHS parts but I would be happy to quote anything else you need powder coated also. Basically you can powder coat anything that can withstand 400 degrees. I will be requiring a accident waiver of sorts though as I dont want to get stuck trying to replace some non replaceable item someone sends to me that gets accidently damaged. I will be getting a sand blaster so I can clean/de-paint items also.

Hasid Lafre
11-16-2007, 04:58 AM
What about white?

Maliki Skywalker
11-16-2007, 09:09 AM
How about brass?

Jonitus
11-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm throwing my vote for:

Gloss black

Matte black

Brass

Copper

Gunmetal

Titanium (if available)

White

Red

Clear

valeon
11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I would say that list would be best. Hey Tim, how about for non-normal colors, you charge an extra fee. Say you don't carry yellow, but someone wants something painted yellow, so you charge $15 dollars on top of the $20 normal painting fee...so $35 for a non-ordinary color.

DarrynVarson117
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I wont lie this sounds like a freaking cool option, this really has me dreaming wild stuff for my saber. But I got a while to go, probably next year before I am ready to assemble mind. But the wheels are turning.

Ashron
11-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I gotta agree with Er Dan also. Black and metallic colors would be awesome to start with. Looks like I found a use for any money I acquire over the holidays.

Firebird21
11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Clear.

This is more for protecting parts like those of us who like a nicely polished hilt or want to keep the tool marks from getting damaged.

Speaking of which... I still haven't gotten my Luke cleared yet... :roll:

Darth Tollo
11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I agree with the metal colors. As far as red, green, and blue; I think I’d like to see darker versions (blood red, forest green, royal blue) if they are done. I’d have a blood red and black sith saber in no time.

Strydur
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I probably wont charge extra for a color I dont normally stock as it would just be one more color I could offer. I will probably be charging more for certain colors that require the part to be polished first or colors that require a top coat.

Anyways, Lets not get the cart to far ahead of the horse. I hope to have everything setup by next weekend and then it will take a bit of a learning curve I am sure.

Jonitus
11-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I gotta say Tim, I like the idea of powdercoating better than anodizing. Now before y'all start throwing stuff at me, hear me out. Anodizing is sweet, no doubt, but Tim would have to pass on extra cost to us because he would be dealing with hazardous waste (electrolyte and such is considered hazardous waste once used and is governed by the EPA at the Federal level and by local municipalities in the form of DNR or similar), and disposal fees for hazardous waste ain't cheap, believe me.

I'm excited for the powdercoating and can't wait to see how MHS parts turn out. There's going to be some wonderful custom sabers built, methinks.

ArkaiHalon
11-16-2007, 04:51 PM
agreed, and I'm happy he'll be open to working on parts we already have.

Er Dan Gill
11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Thought about it some more today at work, and came up with a few more colors:

Texured black
Reflective chrome
Platinum
Steel
Smoke clear
Charcoal Gray
Translucent Gold (for topcoating polished parts)
And maybe some of the anodizing colors for those that want an anodized look without the hassle of real anodizing.

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-17-2007, 12:57 AM
This is great news! :D

I would like to add to others suggestions DEEP PURPLE - I have one of Ultra's deep purple DSC 'Minilord' stunts and it is the prettiest saber I own esp with a Fire Orange blade and I would definitely be interested in that powdercoat colour option if it was made available...and especially if copper was also available...purple body with copper emitter and pommels...hmmmmmm...

Also howzabout a nice Jedi BROWN? I'm thinking a medium brown powdercoat colour could look really nice with many Jedi costumes and could also blend well with other gold, brass or copper powdercoat coloured parts.

Hasid Lafre
11-17-2007, 05:01 AM
How about the brown be sorta like a dark wood color?

Darth Zecks
11-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Can you blend colors for powder coating? I mean if you get a few base colors you could make any color that anyone could want. It would cut down the cost for everyone and save Tim the trouble of getting all the different colors. Is this possible?

Strydur
11-18-2007, 10:59 AM
You can yes..but it may not blend as well as say paint would. You would need to make sure the powders where mixed really well. If someone needed a color not offered then I would consider it but otherwise I will just stock the different colors. We will start out with a few basics and go from there.

Lord Maul
11-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I can't help but feel a little jealous of everyone...total for my MHS powdercoating it cost around a hundred bucks, whereas now it can be done for under 40 :shock: :cry:

strengthofrage
12-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Just caught this thread... and I have a little drool on my shirt :oops:

Strydur
12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Just a little update. I have been powder coating and it has been going very well. I will start posting pics of the different colors soon.

Hasid Lafre
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
[peter griffin] sweeeet!

alpine
12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
hmm i may have to jump in on this powdercoating cause my work in progress need some solor to add to the agressiveness of the hilt......*gets deep in thought and begins to drool*

X
12-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Is there any way to get a really dark "blood" red kind of like Oakley's BLOOD color they did on there New straight jackets a couple years ago, it looks almost black in low light but the red comes through in lighter areas. Just a thought.
found a pic

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/guyver04/Blood.jpg