PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Focus Soundfonts and Config Files (Shop and Swap)

Delmustator
11-15-2007, 07:00 AM
I saw that there is some interest in sharing configuration files and ideas for the Crystal Focus Saber Core. I think this is a great idea.

Please post your soundfonts, configuration files (ones you don't mind sharing with the community), and questions here.

If you update your soundfonts and/or configuration files, please edit your original post with the files and enter a little blip so that everyone sees the update.

Moderator - please make this topic sticky..

Delmustator
11-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Del SaberFonts

Here are some sound clips.

Predator Saber v2.0
PredatorSaberv2demo.mp3 (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/PredatorSaberv2demo.mp3)
Predator Saber Soundfonts (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/Predator_Saber.rar)

LoWang Saber v1.0 (Sounds from Shadow Warrior)
LoWangSaberv1demo.mp3 (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/LoWangSaberv1demo.mp3)
LoWang Saber v1 Soundfonts (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/LoWang_Saberv1.rar)

LoWang Saber v5.0 (Sounds from Shadow Warrior)
LoWangSaberv5demo.mp3 (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/LoWangSaberv5demo.mp3)
LoWang Saber v5 Soundfonts (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/LoWang_Saberv5.rar)

LoWang Rap (Sounds from Shadow Warrior)
Lo Wang RAP (ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/misc/lowangsrap.mp3)

Del Saber v1.0 (Sounds from Jedi Knight II)
DelSaberv1demo.mp3 (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/DelSaberv1demo.mp3)
Del Saber Soundfonts (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/Del_Saber.rar)

Sound capture from Darth Vader vs Luke in cave.
Captured Sounds - Unedited or Filtered (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/weblinked/sabersounds1.mp3)

Delmustator
11-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Ancient Saber CFG (posted on FX-Sabers.com)

Note: This is a USER modified Ancient Saber CFG.

//********Begin Config for Ancient Saber***********
hc=255
lc=90
hs=65
ls=11
sc=9
ss=6
i=0.84
gainx=1.1
gainy=2.3
random=1
freq=120
shimmerduration=200
shimmerperiod=5
shimmerrandom=25
dynshifting=0
shifting=5
gravity=110
buffer=9
noisegate=11
sample=14
swinglimit=180
lockupdelay=90
switchpolarity=2
offprotect=0
auxreboot=1
forcefx=1
mute=0
ledcurrent=70
currenterror=3
flickerspeed=7
flickerdepth=225
brakepercent=0.95
slopefactor=0.05
//***********end of config**************

Delmustator
11-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Vader ESB SF by judgesabersmith

Vader ESB Mix (http://www.judgesabersmith.com/Mixgood.wav)

Jonitus
11-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Vader ESB SF by judgesabersmith

Vader ESB Mix (http://www.judgesabersmith.com/Mixgood.wav)

Try this version instead, for better lockup sound:

Vader ESB mix (final version) (http://www.judgesabersmith.com/Mixgreat.wav)

PS...Delmu...stop friggin' bidding on the Ani AOTC FX on eBay! It is mine!

Novastar
11-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Not like people don't know, but I'll be posting pretty much 100% of whatever fonts I design to Erv and onto Plecterlabs.com.

I also have configuration files that go with all such fonts... granted, everyone is free to play around with them.

Great thread idea, Del!

EDIT: Added reference to this thread in the CF Sound font thread I created, and altered the name to include ALL sound fonts. I didn't mean to make it "Novastar" sound fonts as an exclusive thing, lol!!!!

I'm such a scrooge-like, selfish wampa as you all know... heheheh :D

erv
11-19-2007, 08:41 AM
I'll soon create 2 tutorials, one for creating sound fonts, a real tutorial,
with all my "secret" and savoir faire

also, I'll make a section with individual parameter settings, instead of full config files. Explaining in details how to get this or this effect helps users to do their own mixture.

Angelus Lupus
11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
That second section sounds very usefull erv. As you're reading this can I request my chicken sounds be put up? A couple of people here have expressed interest.
Merci

Delmustator
11-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Added soundfont links to my original post.

All soundfonts are in compressed WinRAR files.

erv
11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
oups oups oups... still in the email, I haven't even looked at it, thanks for re activating this.
I'll test delmustator other fonts soon too.
Erv'

That second section sounds very usefull erv. As you're reading this can I request my chicken sounds be put up? A couple of people here have expressed interest.
Merci

Barmic Rin
11-21-2007, 10:53 AM
I know Maul & me want these!!!! Hurry up Erv!!!!!!! :lol:

Stinky Bantha
12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Is the Vader ESB font ready? I love the sounds, and can't wait to use it.

Delmustator
12-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Dumped the Predator sound font on my spare 32MB SD card and plugged it into the CF 3.0. Does not sound too good... I see now how much trial and error is needed to actually get these things sounding good.

So I remixed the DelSaber sound fonts and it sounds good. I'll have to work on the Predator some more. The swing sounds are kinda funky.

The LoWang sound font is just too funny to hear coming from a saber.

One recommendation for those first time CF owners. Get a blank SD card to play with so you don't mess up your original. I had a spare Panasonic 32MB SD and it was acting weird until I reformatted it and started from scratch. Some stuff worked while other stuff did not.

Novastar
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah, it takes a lot of testing and work, that's sure!

I can safely say... there is at least ONE particular someone who understands and appreciates your work... his name begins with an "N", and ends in "ovastar". Weird guy. Italian. A bit nuts, but... you'd like him. :)

vortextwist
01-22-2008, 07:32 PM
The ancient saber font is my favorite font but I was wandering nova it you have tried to redo the blaster effect for the ancient saber? I was thinkin of the straigh forward sound and then maybe a slight almost like the blaster was making the saber powerdown (only for an instant). And do you know if xwing had done some tinkering with it to make it less computery lol

Madcow
01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey,
I'm putting the finishing touches on a whole new Luke ROTJ font. Boy it takes alot of work!

MC

xwingband
01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Vortex, I haven't done any tinkering... honestly it ticks me off too much. I leave it to those with more patience for it. :)

I do wish my idea of a more "mechanical" sounding ancient font was made.

Nova, I think we need a better system so that we can get your updates... I'm going to need to hit you up for the latest updates on the EP2 and 4 I think. The last saber I did I boosted the swings by 50%, but I'm sure you have tweaked since I got the files also.

Dark Helmet
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
i don't have a cf yet, but i downloaded the mixer, and using audacity, i have found the standard saber sound with a gated reverb, also labeled as gverb, is amazing. it sounds like a saber in a tight metal hallway. added to the ancient saber sound , it gives it a much colder, flawed mechanical sound. when the 3.0 is available i plan on using this effect quite a bit. when in doubt, gverb and ring modulators can create some crazy sounds, so anything that seams weak can be beafed up if your willing to get a lil' crazy with it.

Novastar
01-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Beautiful, Dark Helmet!

I'll be honest about several things here to everyone (warning, lots o' text):

1. Although I always intended my sound work to be helpful to Erv and essentially "free/donation highly helpful" in terms of users... the sound fonts are a LOT of work. Anyone who has attempted a font from scratch, and realizes the work in making it 95% to 100% "seamless"... understands that.

2. "Slap sounds together, upload" is NOT EQUAL to what I've been doing here.

2. Building a sound font from essentially SCRATCH--pretty much making your OWN sounds... vs. tinkering with a pre-made font, or mixing Ben Burtt sounds... is planets apart in terms of time, work, energy, and an attribution to excellence.

3. Unfortunately, only about 10 or so people have donated for my fonts, heheh. This isn't to sound "money-grubbing", but... I know that there are a LOT more CF users than just THAT, lol! Besides, it goes along with BOP as a donation. Is all of that worth... uh... one dollar? Five? I don't know... you decide.

4. More fonts are on their way. I'm working on many at a time this time, hopefully to release like 4 or so together? All depends.

5. I welcome others to modify, adjust, tweak and SHARE "re-creations" of the fonts I've designed. Whether for solely personal usage... or to post for others...

but if you DO, I only request that you give me credit... "Novastar's xxxxx font, adjusted by yyyy for a more zzzzz effect" or whatever... maybe sharing a link to the original font if necessary. You know... respect and common sense, heheh! :)

And... make a donation??? PRETTY PLEASE?? :) Essentially like "buying" the font so you can play with it as you please.

Again, $1 or $100... it makes no difference to me.

Now I realize that I could have done the whole sound fonts thing in a much more organized way... maybe even forced downloaders to at least donate $1 minimum or whatever... or even asked Erv to add it as a shopping cart option for $1 or $5 or blah blah... but... when Erv first released CF, I saw the need for the fonts immediately. I could have waited, and been a jerk... but why?

Sabers are supposed to be fun... and I also wanted people to see the versatility of the files being changeable/swappable.

CF can be so much more than "just a saber". Although I also realize that most people don't want to hear ANYTHING different other than the "de facto" movie sounds. I'm not wired that way, though.

6. SO FINALLY... the big point is... TRY DOING SOME OF YOUR OWN EVERYONE! :) It's fun! Hard work... but imagine how cool it would be to someday see... 50(?) CF fonts? 100? Videos demonstrating them by user X and user Y?

At that point, there will be such a nice repository of fonts... my work may or may not be necessary anymore. :)

sekrogue1985
01-23-2008, 09:02 AM
agreed with nova star making original sound is hard then mixing it right so that it;ll sound good is hard word. I've recently been mixing the silly human saber sound font made out of recording several silly 10 year old obsessed star wars fans. It's hard work to top that I'm running off of trial versions haha love it. oh and my next project will just be whever the hell i want random sounds haha just got to figure out what sounds really really really piss people off.

"We all admit that when we were young before the any real lightsaber toy or sound came out that we all created our own woosh, hum, chash, and all the other various sounds that we thought a lightsaber would make. Now what I going to eventually get around doing to create this voiced lightsaber with the help of some 10 year olds that love lightsabers. Basically I'm creating this for the hell off it but yeah thought it be fun to relive the old days where we voiced everything." my original post

but yeah it takes time but yeah once done i hope you all enjoy a bit of your much much younger days before the creation of a sound board

DarthFender
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
oh and my next project will just be whever the hell i want random sounds haha just got to figure out what sounds really really really piss people off.

That might be the burp/fart/foul language saber. And If you make a font like that, I'll pay $20 (US) for it.

Personally, when I get more time to do it, I might record a Popeye the Sailor font. Just because of the mumbling and the "Wham/Bam!" It's too funny.

vortextwist
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm all for donating becouse I like xwing just don't have the patience for it. Can't wait for your new rotj font nova.

Novastar
01-25-2008, 01:26 AM
For the record, I am not currently planning to do a ROTJ font... for numerous reasons. But the main one is....

...Uh... JONITUS has already made one. What the.... what's wrong with you people??!!?!? :) Download his font, darn you!!

Jon and I have spoken a bit, and... I think he may have even improved it since it was first released. Anyhow. Go get it. CLICKY! It's on Erv's site.

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 03:17 AM
I heard it, dident sound all that great.

Eventually nova Iam gonna have you make me a sound font. the premade ones are great but I want something more custom. :P

sekrogue1985
01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
i like jontoris one its great and with a little "tweecking" aka adding my own boot sounds and so forth it sound fine to me. Agreed with Nova why make one when there is already on up neh? but yeah update I've found my woopy cushion and a few other items for my next random yet meaningless sound font. but yeah youtube isn't allowing me to load my video of my dreamer saber so yeah hmmm maybe i know but yeah after saying up 2 nights in a row the font is done but yeah needs a more work cause after you sleep on it, it sound odd in an area or too. but eyah I cant help but laugh at what i've created. If you all like it copies will be avaible somehow.

Ghostbat
01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
... why make one when there is already on up neh? ---

My take here is the same reason we make our own hilts. Because it's OURS and we learn a bunch in the process!

We are not a bunch prone to making life overly easy for ourselves :)

sekrogue1985
01-25-2008, 10:12 AM
My take here is the same reason we make our own hilts. Because it's OURS and we learn a bunch in the process!

We are not a bunch prone to making life overly easy for ourselves :)

true what i was getting at is why ask someone else or wait for someone else to make it when you could do it yourself and what not have to wait for the other and what not. that is what i was trying to get at.

ghostbat

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
WEll I looked at how to make a soundfont and I wouldent be abel to figur eit out. May be easy for some but alot arnt that computer savy. Savy?

Ghostbat
01-25-2008, 07:54 PM
WEll I looked at how to make a soundfont and I wouldent be abel to figur eit out. May be easy for some but alot arnt that computer savy. Savy?

I wasn't trying to put down people using already done sounds, I was more trying to defend people who were making their own when an equivalent already existed. Sorry if that came across wrong!

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Well sorry if my post came off like an ass.

But like I said I dident care for jons ROTJ font. Just dosent sound like my cut of tea ya know.

Ghostbat
01-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Well sorry if my post came off like an ass.

But like I said I dident care for jons ROTJ font. Just dosent sound like my cut of tea ya know.

Nah, you didn't come off asslike, it's a fair question and I was just giving my answer to it, all is right with the world :)

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Ok just checkingUsually when I type like that I get kinda ass like sound going on.

sekrogue1985
01-25-2008, 08:35 PM
it's cool ghostbat. In all honesty i thought you were attack me or something so i was just trying to defend my self and what not. oh and I agree to the jon's ROTJ to sound right for me i had to spend about an hour or several more like 5 actually to get it to sound right. SO totally in agreement with you all. SO we all say we all sounded like an ass in someway or something. IDK. LOL

Hasid Lafre
01-26-2008, 10:10 AM
LOL, Iam usre it takes a good bit of work into making a sound font and I appreciate the work that went into it but it just dosent sound like a ROTJ font to me.

Like when Luke first ignited his saber to cut the stabalizer bar off the speeder bike, Thats the ignition sound I want.

Madcow
01-26-2008, 12:13 PM
My problem is that I'm a perfectionist.
Last week I spent my whole day fo working on a Luke ROTJ soundfont, and It's still not exactly what I want. But each day and each experiment brings me closer. It's fun work.

MC

Luke-SkyMarcher
01-26-2008, 08:52 PM
All right, so I was planning a sound font, and have run into a bit of a problem. I can't find a hum sound that I like. All the hums I find don't fit my mental picture of what a hum should be: they have too much growl/motor sound, not enough actual hum. Anybody have a hum you think would work/know how to make one? This is the one thing that has been bugging me for quite a while, any help here would be great.
Thanks

Luke

sekrogue1985
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
All right, so I was planning a sound font, and have run into a bit of a problem. I can't find a hum sound that I like. All the hums I find don't fit my mental picture of what a hum should be: they have too much growl/motor sound, not enough actual hum. Anybody have a hum you think would work/know how to make one? This is the one thing that has been bugging me for quite a while, any help here would be great.
Thanks

Luke

if you want one that hums nicely in my opinion is del...soemthing or other but you will need to tweek it a bit aka change the pitch and some other stuff to get a good hum. Another way to do it is to isolate the "hmmmm" sound that you heere in novastar soundfont and stretch that out to get a good humming sound that is what i've done but yeah hope this helps.

Hasid Lafre
01-27-2008, 01:21 AM
At TF.N there are some sound files to download. They even got my ignition sound

erv
01-28-2008, 04:36 AM
And finally, I've finished the translation of my sound font tutorial, I hope it's detailed enough:
Sound Font tutorial (http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=47&language=en)

I'm late for including SF made by madcow or other people on the DL page. It's burried in my mail box, but I promise : I'll take the time to put them on the website at a moment or another. Be sure it's NOT because I don't care about you guys are building up, just a matter of time.
Erv'

Novastar
01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
My problem is that I'm a perfectionist.
Last week I spent my whole day fo working on a Luke ROTJ soundfont, and It's still not exactly what I want. But each day and each experiment brings me closer. It's fun work.

MCThis is *EXACTLY* the spirit it takes to make a good font.

However, making a "movie accurate" font is not always going to sound great... since sometimes--what we imagined the sounds were like and what they actually WERE... are sometimes dissimilar.

Granted, that is actually why I created "Novastar" and "Blackstar" fonts. These are a mixture of what *I* believe are some of the most robust and interesting sounding swings and clashes... plus a taste of my own tinkering... PLUS sometimes I have "mixed" two clashes or swings TOGETHER to make one. But neither of them "obey" a specific movie in the SW series. As I said--I'm not that kind of person. I'm too creative and perfectionistic (if there is such a word!) to just "copy" things sound for sound and make a font.

If you ask me... Jon's ROTJ font is pretty much how Luke's saber sounded in the movies. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way--I've also probably heard a "better" version of his font... a more recent one... so maybe that's the issue. As I mentioned before.

Anyhow--everyone go check out Erv's sound font making tutorial... it is definitely a good way to get started, and although it doesn't include more "manual" tricks... you can get a solid foundational font from working exactly as he specified.

DarthFender
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Erv and Novastar,

What did people ever do before you guys were here to build killer electronics and killer sound fonts for them?

Keep up the great work.

vortextwist
01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
This is *EXACTLY* the spirit it takes to make a good font.

However, making a "movie accurate" font is not always going to sound great... since sometimes--what we imagined the sounds were like and what they actually WERE... are sometimes dissimilar.

Granted, that is actually why I created "Novastar" and "Blackstar" fonts. These are a mixture of what *I* believe are some of the most robust and interesting sounding swings and clashes... plus a taste of my own tinkering... PLUS sometimes I have "mixed" two clashes or swings TOGETHER to make one. But neither of them "obey" a specific movie in the SW series. As I said--I'm not that kind of person. I'm too creative and perfectionistic (if there is such a word!) to just "copy" things sound for sound and make a font.

If you ask me... Jon's ROTJ font is pretty much how Luke's saber sounded in the movies. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way--I've also probably heard a "better" version of his font... a more recent one... so maybe that's the issue. As I mentioned before.

Anyhow--everyone go check out Erv's sound font making tutorial... it is definitely a good way to get started, and although it doesn't include more "manual" tricks... you can get a solid foundational font from working exactly as he specified.
Not to sound like I'm trying to get any credits from you Nova,:) but your fonts are awsome and I think that is the reason some of us just don't want to make em or even try. Me, I don't have the time to devote to makeing the fonts, the time I do have on the computer I juggle work,kids,dogs,housework, and or course naps. One other thing Nova, I myself would appreciate the menu fonts for the other fonts. Well enough brown nosein, gonna donate some funds to ya.

Novastar
01-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Erv and Novastar,

What did people ever do before you guys were here to build killer electronics and killer sound fonts for them?

Keep up the great work.Well, I didn't really build any kind of electronics, myself. In fact, I owe most all of what little knowledge that I *DO* have to a myriad of the "main folks" who pioneered the Luxeons (namely Joe "Corbin Das", Tim "Strydur", Alex "Ultra", and a bunch of others).

When Erv started to show up and make himself known... well... I myself was looking into having a really NICE sound & light driver made. However, when I quickly learned that Erv was doing nearly everything I was imagining--and that we thought quite 'alike'... I abandoned my "Ns5" project, and haven't really looked back. It would have been rather expensive to create, too. VERY expensive.

But then, I noticed the lack of sound fonts for Erv's board, or rather... the NEED of more. More quality AND more quantity. More dynamics. More to show off that CF does not need to be "limited" to solely "SW saber noises".

So--I applied what I was already learning from mixing together the BOP I (and BOP II) sound plots, which included ambiance, vocals, volume levels, fixing pops & clicks, and a whole can of worms that complicates the heck out of things! I'd worked with sound before, but never in such detail. The more I work at it, the more experience I get... despite that I use what most would call "crude" tools. But great tools can't replace having an ear for sound and attention to detail anyhow I guess.

This is why things like donations help BOP and sound fonts SOOOO much!!! Granted, I'm not a very good marketer, and I'm afraid... not very good at "organizing" my fonts into some easy-to-access-and-donate-for way. If that makes any sense.

Finally, if there is any question... the REAL work is on Erv's end! In the grand scheme... I haven't done all that much. Trying to help Erv, I am. Doing 50% of the work???? I am not. :) This is also why CF is 100 Euro, and my sound fonts... are essentially "free" with the hope of others recognizing my work and making their own judgement on how much they think one of my fonts is worth to them. And, essentially... how much BOP is worth to them!

sekrogue1985
01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Erv and Novastar,

Keep up the great work.

hehehe before we had electronics we had our voice hehehe thus woots
updated news almost done with my kiddy vocal saber

Luke-SkyMarcher
02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey, does anybody know how to make Goldwave save the files in the correct format? When I saved it as "Raw," it had an "snd" file extension. When I renamed the file extension and tried it in the "isaber" section, it didn't work. So.... I'm sure someone knows how to do this...

sekrogue1985
02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey, does anybody know how to make Goldwave save the files in the correct format? When I saved it as "Raw," it had an "snd" file extension. When I renamed the file extension and tried it in the "isaber" section, it didn't work. So.... I'm sure someone knows how to do this...

okay marcher this is what i do i first open the file that i wanted converted. then i open an already converted file that is saved as somename.raw. at that point i delete what is on the raw file and then cut and paste the said file that needs to be converted into the raw onto the raw file and then just click regular save not save as. I've had perfect luck with that and it is all the requireed litte endien, mono, 16 bit, and so forth but this is what works for me and yeah maybe tedious but yeah that is how i solved my issue and i've gotten great sounds from doing that and other stuff. if you have issue just ask me

Novastar
02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
For the record, if you FORCE goldwave to save a ".snd" format as .raw, it will work just fine.

Just type out the ENTIRE filename + extension when saving, and it will work.

It's a bummer goldwave doesn't offer a default option to save raw sound as .raw... but it can be done.

Also--I recommend that people create a "new" save as format and save it under a profile that contains all the needed data... 22Khz, 16-bit, little end, mono, unsigned, etc.

Remember--just ONE mistake in saving... and you may end up with a font that does not work at all. And you'll spend a LOT of time hunting the culprit file down--whilst amongst 6 saber sound fonts, menu files and the isaber directory. So... don't F it up. :)

Luke-SkyMarcher
02-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Novastar I sent you a PM

Novastar
02-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Did you? I'm... not certain I ever got it... (LukeSkyM..)

But anyhow... Erv and I are on a quest to try to figure out how exactly to handle all of the CF sound fonts and packages and so forth...

In the meantime, I *AM* working on new fonts, it's just taking me a lot of time. Lots going on lately it seems. Some good some bad as many of you know. :( But whatever, additionally, I think I'll release a bunch of fonts at once, and not just one at a time.

Hope everyone is doing well.

sekrogue1985
02-28-2008, 07:08 AM
working 3am to 8am is well pays the bills but yeah sleep is nice. anyway has anyone just randomized the sounds before like just renamed everything to whatever. I ask is cause when saving some stuff i renamed then as well swings to clash and clash to swings i was like wait is it my lack of sleep or is it well yeah. this is something that one should try it's interesting just like a cow mooing for a clash effect. best part is recovered all my fonts for my old harddrive woots. i wish to share some of my works with people but yeah maybe i;ll post something on like idk megauploader or sendspace. if you havn't heard of them they are like well used by people to send files and what not

erv
02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
don't forget to send me a ZIPPED archive with the sound font you'd like to be published. One font per email, to keep the size reasonnable.
The archive must include :
- a description text file, like readme.txt, written using windows notepad.
Include a clear description of what the sound font "context / theme" is, mention your name / nickname eventually email if you wish to be contacted.
- a boot sound
- all the other sounds, swings, clashes, power on/off etc
- a MP3 "sound preview" of the result.

For this last one, I use the mixdown produced by my saber sound mixer utility software, in which you play one after the other all the sound fx, mixed with the hum. Just save it as an MP3 and you have your preview.

I'm pretty slow to review and test sound font, but I promise I'll do my best to host and publish all of them

Erv'

Luke-SkyMarcher
02-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Novastar, I re-sent it.

In the mean time, I'm working on my "blue saber" sound font. Basically it is my mental image of what a blue saber should sound like, and it's going to be different from anything else that's been posted so far.

Novastar
04-16-2008, 03:25 AM
By the way everyone... in case you're interested, I'll be releasing the EP I Darth Maul font soon enough... :)

Was fun to make, not too tough, and sounds very nice!

Sethski
04-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Look forward to the Maul Font :D

Malaki Skywalker
04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
By the way everyone... in case you're interested, I'll be releasing the EP I Darth Maul font soon enough... :)

Was fun to make, not too tough, and sounds very nice!

*Shakes fist*

You win this round Novastar! Mark my words i will return with a new IDEA! :twisted:

lol, you beat me :rolleyes:

Novastar
04-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh carp!

Were you working on one? D'oh. Well... I don't know, maybe let's chat on e-mail or something and see what you came up with???

I'm planning on releasing this font (among several others) hopefully by the end of April, along with the release of V4.

Sorry... I didn't mean to mess up anyone's ideas... I'm just trying to make new sound fonts as WELL as cater to everyone wanting "traditional" saber sound fonts.

Malaki Skywalker
04-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Well I'l put it up to see what you guys think ;) This is V1 so its not amazing

TheFristApprenticeV1.aif (http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/1228425_g6799/TheFristApprenticeV1.aif)

SWAT Strachan
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Apart from the sudden cut-off of the saber activation sound, it's bleedin' good!

Malaki Skywalker
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Apart from the sudden cut-off of the saber activation sound, it's bleedin' good!

Thanks! :D I'll see what i can do with the cut off ;)

Novastar
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
It sounds ok, but I don't think the sounds technically match Maul's stuff from EP I... even the hum isn't really what his was.

Also--the lockup is simply the one I created for Blackstar, as is the blaster effect, heheh! :) I mean... sure, I'm all for using my sounds, but... to leave them TOTALLY alone seems kinda blaze'... but not because you copied what I made... only because it *prevents* your sound font from sounding too much different from the Blackstar one.

If even *I* "recycled" one swing/clash from font #1 to font #2... it would begin to destroy the whole effect of it being "its own".

I realize you said it was v1... so... I'm sure you'll fill in more details.

I'll see about posting a quick & dirty "low quality" MP3 of what I've got going on so people will hear... it's almost EXACTLY what you hear from Maul's saber... mainly during Obi / Qui v. Maul.

Malaki Skywalker
04-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Well after the problems with my Maul font, I decided to give up.... but in my time of thinking I've come up with a font, which is not complete, which most Sith will need in there sabers ;)

I present to you.... THE DARK LORD SOUNDFONT! :twisted: (Which is still a W.I.P)

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/1238384_emf1t/TheDarkLord.wav

Tell me what ya think :D

Count Malik
04-20-2008, 02:24 PM
pretty nice, mabe a deeper hum?

eastern57
04-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I like it! very characteristic of the Vader.

How does it sound in a saber? I've had to remix both of my fonts a few times - I can never predict the high/low dynamics :( Do you plan on including lockup or force? It still sounds good as-is... [thumbs up]

Malaki Skywalker
04-20-2008, 11:55 PM
I like it! very characteristic of the Vader.

How does it sound in a saber? I've had to remix both of my fonts a few times - I can never predict the high/low dynamics :( Do you plan on including lockup or force? It still sounds good as-is... [thumbs up]

I'm still working on it, the lock-up i have made is being a pain (Pops and clicks) and for the force I haven't decided yet (Any ideas?)

Thanks for the great comments guys! :D

Novastar
04-21-2008, 03:27 AM
Nice one Malaki! I'd agree that maybe a deeper hum would give it the Vader-ish feel... otherwise sounds good thus far! And definitely more original and "apart from" some of the goofy sounds *I* made, heheh...

If it helps, I tend to just listen to the movie sequence over and over (of the font I wish to try to 'capture') and work from there. But I also try to give a little bit of fresh and original "panache" so that it's not simply a cut & paste of Burtt's work at every turn.

I might be weird that way, but... hey, that's me.

SWAT Strachan
04-21-2008, 03:33 AM
I'm still working on it, the lock-up i have made is being a pain (Pops and clicks) and for the force I haven't decided yet (Any ideas?)

Thanks for the great comments guys! :DForce choke? I don't recall hearing that in any sound fonts yet. Just a deep Force rumble with a few crunching bones :twisted:.

Novastar
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Force choke? I don't recall hearing that in any sound fonts yet. Just a deep Force rumble with a few crunching bones :twisted:.Actually, *technically* I've had that in my Blackstar font for sometime, but... I don't think that sound made it into the public version.

No matter... it will be there on the CD! :)

In fact, there are several versions... one of just the "regular" choking... one of the choking plus a CRUNCHY sound at the end... and one with music and some sort of screeching effects (hard to explain).

You can hear the "uber" version of the choke effect I made here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7OQRAbt5z2Q

It occurs almost immediately, about 30 seconds into the demo.

Lightning is also there as well...

SWAT Strachan
04-21-2008, 05:00 PM
You can hear the "uber" version of the choke effect I made here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7OQRAbt5z2QI stand corrected :cool:. It's odd, I've seen that clip more than a few times now but the choke part never really registered, that's probably YouTube mangling the audio as usual.

Hasid Lafre
04-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok sence I havent messed with it yet and am unsure.

On a CF 2.5 what does it have for sound fonts and which ones can I use? Like if it says v2.x + then I can use it?

My brother thinks its got nova and black star.

*looked at the 2.5 roadmap*

I HAVE ISABER! but only 4 sound banks which is better than 1.

Novastar
04-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Well... that's going to be one of the fantastic things about the CD (just ONE of them)... every single font will be configured for every single version of CF... with the exception of v1.x.

However, at present, Hasid, I believe you can download pretty much any sound font that you like and it will work with v2.x, v3.x and 4.x of CF. Technically, the sound file type and configuration remains the same: 22,050Hz, mono, 16-bit, little endian, unsigned.

The only difference for sound fonts are the v1's, which are 8-bit and 11,025Hz. Which is why I won't be supporting them on the CD.

Besides:

1. Not many v1s were really made. I should know--I used to have two of the v1.2s... :)
2. It only held one sound font.
3. If you want to, you can simply take any current sound font, and batch convert the sounds from 22 to 11K on the Hz, and also do the 8-bit thaanng on 'em. Easy to do.

So the short answer for everyone is: you can use ANY sound font with almost ANY version of CF you like! Sure, at times you may have to "drop" a file (or add one)... but there is no reason why you cannot have font "X" with your CF version 'whatever'. :)

<--- continues to work on the staged combat tutorial video, CF CD Sound Compendium and the 250 Battle footage...

Hasid Lafre
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Thats fantastic nova, but can you tell me what 4 soundfonts my 2.5 has? Cause eI cant find any documentation on what soundfonts are on what.

erv
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I can probably tell you hasid : 2 first were made by me. Not very good selection of sounds. Then you have novastar and blackstar !
Erv'

Hasid Lafre
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Well erv Iam sure I will like your fonts. thanks for lettign me know.

Novastar
04-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Also Hasid... there is no harm in downloading the ones you want and loading them into your SD (& CF) so that you *DO* know for certain what is there.

The default package for v2.5 on Erv's site has some text files that explain what font is want. You need only look.

Novastar
04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I was pretty "slow" to react on this (all things considered), but... dang... even *I* did not know Erv was releasing CF until a few days beforehand... and got secondhand knowledge of it! :)

Anyhow:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vjLS0J2AiMQ

Enjoy.

DARTH KALEL
05-03-2008, 02:34 PM
hey novastar i'm looking for something like a great saber sound, you know like it can barely contain the energy when it's ignited, and a transformers :-D:-D font as well. would gladly pay for that.

Novastar
05-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Updates for my upcoming Sound CD:

* New, alternate hum mixture & lockup that is more "screen accurate" for Episode II. So... now there are TWO versions of EP II. :)

* SW Episode V and Episode VI fonts being added... I took these sounds directly from the movies and worked them in a way so that music and foley sounds are not present, so... they're about as screen accurate as you'll hear (to a point). They have SOME of "my own" flair added, but... not much!

* SW Electro Staff being added...

* "Magic Saber" font almost complete

* A bunch of video tutorials on mixing your OWN sounds (using Goldwave), and also a tutorial on how to correctly copy files over to your SD card without causing problems.

* Bonus sound library is getting RIDICULOUS, and that is a GOOD thing! It means a wonderous variety of sounds for people to work from and with... and in combination with the tutorials... ANYONE will be able to try their hand at soundmaking for CF!

List of fonts that will 100% for certain DEFINITELY be on the CD:
(and this means "new" versions in some cases!)
...in alphabetical order:

* Ancient Saber
* Blackstar
* Chainsaw!
* Elemental: H2O
* Indiana Jones Whip
* Kung Fu Fightin'!
* Elemental: Magic
* Nano Deus Tachi
* NecroVolt Staff
* Novastar
* Phoenix Pyre (also doubles as "Elemental: Fire" in a way!)
* Satori 'Zen' Saber (inspired by Jonitus' request for sound)
* Steel Sword
* SW Electro Staff
* SW Episode I -- (extremely screen accurate)
* SW Episode II -- (two versions now! newest more screen acc.)
* SW Episode IV -- (now with more lockup sounds to select!)
* SW Episode V -- (extremely screen accurate)
* SW Episode VI -- (extremely screen accurate)

THAT'S NINETEEN FONTS!! :)

I'll shoot for at least 20 though... heheh

List of fonts that are currently being jerks to me and not going as I'd hoped:

* Video Game Font -- (it's harder to choose what sounds to use than I thought)
* Elemental: Earth -- (it's coming along, but... I'm having trouble with selecting some sounds)
* That's it!

Ok... back to work I go...

jpbeck
05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Dude stop teasing us-- lets roll-- get them out there--- I want to be the first 35 year old kid on my block to get this CD. :-D

I only tease because I like you-- Don't get all BOB 2 on me. :D

Just a quick question though, do you think these will be out before the end of this month (when my CF 4 gets here ;) )?

In all seriousness--- no rush, we all have day jobs. I'm just thankful that I got NovaStar and EP IV on my CF.3

May the Force be with you NovaStar.

Novastar
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
---------------------------------
MINOR v1.1 UPDATES (completed 8/11/08)
---------------------------------

* Added an "LED Current Calculator"
* Updated the helpful hints file for configurations
* Fixed problem with LEDs.txt folders not covering v2.5 forward (used to read v2.61 forward)
* Fixed problem with v2.63 config.txt being synonymous with v2.61--instead, it is with v3
* Added the config.txt file to the sound directories (v4 only)
* Added a "dummy" folder set for bank1-6, plus menu options, etc.
* Episode I sounds -- fixed some small zero-crossing point errors to remove pops & clicks
* Episode II sounds -- fixed some small zero-crossing point errors to remove pops & clicks
* Added missing Heirloom config.txt file for v3 (it was missing under v3 folder only)

I'll see about posting at least some of these "bonuses" online for the original v1 buyers, but... REALLY these are extremely minor things that are easily remedied with awareness--and in some cases (like the "pops & clicks)--I doubt most any of you folks would even catch them!! :) I'm just picky.

Again, special thanks to everyone who alerted me to issues or the "minor errors"!

DarthFender
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I probably wont get time to work on this myself, at least not for a while, but for campy Saturday morning Cartoon value, I think A Thundar the Barbarian sound font would be cool....

The Sun Sword! LoL

Donnovan Sunrider
11-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Oh, yeah. Sun Sword sounds would be AWESOME.

Novastar
11-19-2008, 04:57 AM
How funny that you mention this... there is an "Easter Egg" of sorts (well, really TWO of them) in the "Magic Saber" sound font...

...but you'll have to load them up to find out!! :)

True, it isn't Thundercats... but it's something that's exactly in the same time period, and both Easter Eggs have to do with "Power Swords". :D

I'll see about adding a "Sun Sword" to the list... although I never watched much of Thunderkitties. :D

Donnovan Sunrider
11-19-2008, 05:55 AM
You misunderstand. Thundarr the Barbarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundarr), not Thundercats. Though I'm a TC fan too, Thundarr was a great little post-apocalyptic show where the title character had a sword that had a blade of energy that sprang to life from a bare hilt, it had several other Star Wars type influences as you'll see from the Wiki entry.

For the old fans like me, you can buy it here (http://www.imissmytvshow.com/id89.html).

DarthFender
11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
How funny that you mention this... there is an "Easter Egg" of sorts (well, really TWO of them) in the "Magic Saber" sound font...

...but you'll have to load them up to find out!! :)

True, it isn't Thundercats... but it's something that's exactly in the same time period, and both Easter Eggs have to do with "Power Swords". :D

I'll see about adding a "Sun Sword" to the list... although I never watched much of Thunderkitties. :D

Nova,

You'll probably find better reference vids for the Sun Sword if you search for Thundar the Barbarian. And Thanks for the look!

Edit: I was beaten to that many days ago. Man, how slow am I?

Novastar
11-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Oops. Thundar. Thunder-kitties. Not the same. Zounds. Mixed up N-Star--d'ohhh. :)

DarthFender
11-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Nova,

Actually, a Thundercats Sword of Omens font would be pretty sweet, too.

And dont forget Voltron's Blazing Sword! LoL

DizzyKungFu
12-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I was looking at the config files on the v4.1 and I noticed many of them have a debug=1 parameter. I can't find any documentation on what that parameter does. Anyone know?

Novastar
12-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I'll check with Erv on this later at the end of the week... he told me he's pretty swamped until then...

I'm imagining that you could try setting it to 0 and see if you notice a difference, but... I doubt that parameter will affect about 90% of CF users.

One thing: I know that my own "v4.x" files on the CD do not contain this parameter. If anyone would like to check if my default 4.x fonts work with the "newer" v4.1... that would be cool. I imagine it shouldn't affect anything, as... missing parameters usually default to a pre-set value. :)

eastern57
12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
It's a leftover from his testing trials. It's fine to delete - it does nothing. :)

Novastar
12-04-2008, 01:44 AM
It's a leftover from his testing trials. It's fine to delete - it does nothing. :)Thanks Eastern... I figured as much, but... didn't want to speak out of turn since I do not own a CF v4.1... AND Erv never told me about the debug parameter.

But yes... looks like that would be two educated opinions (Eastern's better than mine via having the board with him) that the parameter does nothing and/or is safe to delete... uh... or just leave alone--it won't hurt anything at all. :)

DizzyKungFu
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks! It works great with debug on, so I wasn't worried about it. Man, this thing is cool! I've never had a CF before and I'm just blown away by its capabilities! It's worth every red cent (or euro-cent)! :-D

I do have another question about the config files tho. I don't see anything that actually controls the speed and duration of the ramp up/down effects. But clearly the different sound banks do these effects differently. Now I do see the parameters for brk and slp, but if I'm reading the documentation correctly this is shaping the curve of the effect, not controlling its overall speed and duration. Is the time span for the effect based on the length of the poweron.raw and poweroff.raw sound files? I suspected this is the case because on the Episode IV bank, the LED is still on while Old Ben is talking during the shutdown sequence, but I may be missing something else. Anyone want to point me in the right direction to understanding this? ;)

eastern57
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
You've answered your own question. So to validate it - yes, you are correct! ;)

Novastar
12-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Heheh, Eastern gotcha Dizzy! :)

Yes, the length of sounds have to do with the ramping of current. When I put the "long" quote of Obi-Wan saying "The Force will be with you... ... ... Always."--it extends the off time. This can naturally be changed and on my CD I offer a version of that poweroff sound that does NOT have the vocal (you can remove it yourself too with some finesse & the right programs).

HOWEVER, brk=xxxx and slp=yyyyy also affect the ramping--especially when the saber is first "truly" powered on (that is, the kill switch is removed). At this point, CF uses this sort of "default" ramping...

Why.

Well, at that point CF does not know the "best voltage" for your setup since it has just been powered up. It DOES know the optimal CURRENT... but it does not know the voltage. For example, you might have a Lux V LED @ ~7v + 1A... but you might ALSO have a Lux III LED @ ~4v + 1A!! How "smart" would that be if CF just randomly threw voltage at things? Not very.

SO... on the initial powerup (in whatever mode)... it uses the defaults to determine/poll for the general forward voltage that will achieve the current setting that you've specified. After that--well... now CF KNOWS what the voltage is, and can now utilize "better" gradation of the ramp and the on/off sounds better, etc. etc.

Long story I know, but... since we were here--I figured it might help Dizzy and a few others too! :) Also of note is that you should not "hot swap" your LEDs. That means--kill the circuit prior to changing an LED... otherwise you run the risk of CF giving an LED too little... or TOO MUCH voltage. The latter is the worst, naturally.

Logan Cade
12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I’ve started messing around with Goldwave and I created a 3 Stooges sound font for my CF 4.1.

I have no idea how to host it, so if anyone is interested I’ll email it to you…it’s about 3 Meg in size…. if anyone of you wants to host it for me, that would be great also.

It’s a first try, so please treat it as such, but it was a lot of fun. These CF’s open a whole new door on sabers. I can see these advancing into high-tech MP3 players with flashing coordinated blade lights and stereo sound. The possibilities are endless!

Novastar
12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
You're getting the idea, Logan... :) Fonts like my own "Chainsaw", "Kung Fu!" and even "Steel Sword" and "Phoenix Pyre" certainly open the door for unique fonts... and then you have Delmustator's "Lo Wang" font, Madcow's "Pet Droid", and many others.

CF is most certainly set up so that anything you think "fits" with motion and props... well, it can be realized if you think outside the box enough.

Ask Erv to host the font on his website if you'd like!

Logan Cade
12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I figured out how to host a file, so here it is.

3 Stooges.1.zip (http://www.4shared.com/file/76925948/37983a75/3_Stooges1.html) Revised version.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

There a file in there called bootmenu.raw, that’s the one that’ll be the descriptive sound for this font that goes in the main directory. You’ll have to remove and rename it (one.raw-six.raw) for whatever bank you make this font.