PDA

View Full Version : Dual Speaker Tube, mid hilt mounted

Eandori
11-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Hey There saber smiths.

I made some changes to my Proto2 saber over the last few months. It's like Disneyland, always changing! I wanted to try out dual speakers inside a bass-tube and mount them in the middle of the lightsaber. This could have many possible benefits...

-Sound is emitted just like light from the saber, a full 360% around the saber.
-2 speakers is better then 1, as long as they are not canceling each other (out of phase)
-The pommel of the saber is now free for charge ports, caps for easy access to your electronics, lights, etc.

This test came out pretty well in my opinion. It did seem to have more bass then a single speaker but I lost a lot of mid range and high frequency amplitude. Overall muffled sounding. I wired the speakers in parallel which is a larger load on the sound driver board. Personally, I think the muffled mid/high freq. was a result of my Crystal Focus board not being able to drive 2 speakers as hard as 1.

I'll try increasing the amplitude of my mid/high frequencies in the sound files themselves, but perhaps a special driver board needs to be made just for dual speaker sabers? Anyways the setup is shown in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zImUXzHYQ48

One final note, I'm LOVING the thin walled saber tube instead of thick. So much lighter = ultra fast saber spins. I used TCSS film this time plus a few layers of Cellophane inside the Proto2. That's Erv's method for building a saber tube, but with TCSS style cut on the fiberoptic paper. It's the most evenly lit saber I have made yet!