PDA

View Full Version : Sound/driver preference question

strengthofrage
11-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Hello Gents,

I have a sound/driver question… Which do you recommend? I keep seeing mention of Ultrasound (I see that is offered by TCSS), ‘Erv’s board’, Crystal Focus, Plecter board etc. I see that Plecter makes the crystal focus but when I Google’d it I also see that it isn’t located in the US. I liked Novastar’s video demo of the crystal focus, the effects/sounds are great. Any guidance or advice is appreciated, I am just starting my first MHS saber and want to do the full sha’bang.

Thanks

Angelus Lupus
11-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm sure others can explain things better, but here's a brief summary.
Keep in mind that both are currently in production but not out yet.

Ultrasound: Costs less, luxeon configurable by vocal menu, as is everything else, so nice and easy; presumably easier to wire as there are less 'extras', has one sound bank, shipping cheaper for US customers as its US based.

Erv's board aka Crystal Focus (now on version 3.0) aka Plecter board, aka buttered toast, etc:
Costs more, shipping more to US from France (but better for us in the UK), simple text file to configure many options. Has 6 customisable sound-banks, has 'force push' or other sound option. Has iSaber mode, can run blinking (configurable) LEDs for decoration/PLI. All the numbers/values for different setting in the text file could conceivably be more confusing.

I'm under the weather and that's all I can think of right now. In a nutshell Ultrasound is simpler, costs less and is less fancy; Crystal Focus does more, costs more and is more complex.

vortextwist
11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
goin to his website would be easier.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/

Novastar
11-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Usually, for someone's first saber... I would *NOT* recommend a CF unless they are really well-seasoned on wiring, soldering, working with LEDs, computers, config files, etc. etc.

Normally, I'd say FX card for a "beginner" saber.

But--for "the whole shebang" as he's asking--there is nothing better than CF as near as I can tell--for a duel-worthy, not too-expensive saber.

If you want the brightest saber and are willing to pay anything at all, and you're not going to duel like a madman, check out Hyperdyne's sabers.

strengthofrage
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Cost is an issue, I don't want to owe my first born but I do want a quality component. As for wiring experience, I was a controls tech for a while at an automation shop. I am pretty good with wiring, soldering etc. As far as custom sabers go, I have made a few but not like the ones I see on this forum. I am anxiously awaiting my MHS parts, they were in IL last I checked UPS, this will be the first non-hardware saber for me. I'm geekin out waiting to get started.

I appreciate the feedback, it sounds like I should give the Ultrasound a try when they become available.

Thanks guys.

LAN-ED-TUL
11-09-2007, 11:11 PM
either the US board, or a FX board gutted from a FX MR saber.
both bout as easy to deal with. or even a hasbro board, some of my first lux's with sound are run with a hasbro board, and with a echo chamber setup for speaker, theyre ten times louder than they ever were in the toy sabers.

vortextwist
11-10-2007, 01:47 AM
imo an mr board is way better then the Ultrasound.

LAN-ED-TUL
11-10-2007, 02:03 AM
other than a couple things needed to get worked out, thats supposed to BE worked out in next run of US boards, i have to disagree with ya. the US board for what it has ands does, even with its couple flaws, thats being fixed on next run, is ten times better than any MR board.

erv
11-10-2007, 04:11 AM
not entering the comparison between the different SB, just a little hello to the author of the topic. I'm located in France, 150 km south Paris, in Orléans (the "old" Orléans :wink: ). Shipping to the US works pretty well, it just takes times (7 to 10 days). English communication with me is not an issue, feel free to email me if you have specific question, or take a few vacations to read the entire "buttered toast" thread :wink:
Now the horrible point about my location is Euro v.s. $ (I can't really appologize for that, it's europe vs USA, not just France).
Erv'

xwingband
11-10-2007, 09:04 AM
other than a couple things needed to get worked out, thats supposed to BE worked out in next run of US boards, i have to disagree with ya. the US board for what it has ands does, even with its couple flaws, thats being fixed on next run, is ten times better than any MR board.

So being better is contingent on FIXING it in the next run? That's just silly... the main draw was accurate motion detection. Everything else was icing on the cake, but all the icing in the world can't make up for a dry cake. :wink:

vortextwist
11-10-2007, 03:06 PM
it's ok I just snagged another CF board. some more work for ya X. :D 8)

LAN-ED-TUL
11-12-2007, 07:18 PM

So being better is contingent on FIXING it in the next run? That's just silly... the main draw was accurate motion detection. Everything else was icing on the cake, but all the icing in the world can't make up for a dry cake. :wink:

easy there X the fix for that motion sensor issue you so nicely stated, is that it will be adjustable, so YOU can adjust the sensitivity of it, which might solve the hits for swings registering mine does sometimes.

strengthofrage
11-13-2007, 05:19 AM
I have been checking ebay for busted MR sabers, there are some cheaper ones on there... If I find the right deal I may go that route until the Ultrasound is available. Does anyone know the size of the MR boards?

My MHS parts are 'in transit' to Rochester (home) according to UPS, I am anxious to get started.

Novastar
11-13-2007, 03:31 PM
The MR boards vary in size, but they aren't much bigger than Erv's CF for example. Probably smaller I think.

If the concern is: will they fit into most any tube? The answer is yes. As long as they are "alone", not trying to use the black plastic housing that is provided in a Force FX hilt.

The plastic housing can be used--but the ID of the saber has to be pretty big... 1.5" or larger I'd guess.

Lord Maul
11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
The plastic casing from the Maul sabers fit perfectly inside MHS pieces. That is what vortex did :wink:

Ghostbat
11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
The MR boards vary in size, but they aren't much bigger than Erv's CF for example. Probably smaller I think.

If the concern is: will they fit into most any tube? The answer is yes. As long as they are "alone", not trying to use the black plastic housing that is provided in a Force FX hilt.

The plastic housing can be used--but the ID of the saber has to be pretty big... 1.5" or larger I'd guess.

I should have measured my annakin when it was open for conversion, but the new 'kit' forcefx inner sheath fits perfectly into an MSH segment.

strengthofrage
11-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Will I need a driver for the LED if I use an MR sound board or is it like the Ultra and it handles both?

Ghostbat
11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I have a Lux3 running directly off the MR board. It's not as bright as it could be if I were running it off a seperate driver but it's still bright enough to get a good 'wow' out of people when it ignites.

Hasid Lafre
11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I would take an mr board over an US board anyday but then I would pare the mr board with corbin or ervs driver dimmers.

But when a final version of ervs sound board is crafted where there isent anymore additions to be made I will get one.