PDA

View Full Version : Excitement got the best of me...

sensaibmf
11-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Hello,

I may have a stupid question but we all learn from our mistakes. When I got my TCSS package i opened everything up and forgot how he heat sink slide into the sink holder tube. The style I have looks different from the tutorials.

Now I code software and web sites for a living so i tried to use some my ingenuity to reassemble everything. I think I have gotten it right but I wanted to confirm with you guys before I assembled everything.

See image:

http://www.bmfwebconcepts.com/images/question.jpg

Now my question is (yes it may be foolish seeing the way things should be assembled) but the LED, Heat sink all go in the long end side, correct? I know it seem obvious but there are a bunch of screw holes on the short end side I am assuming are to be used to hold the blade holder in my tube?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

sensaibmf
11-04-2007, 05:48 AM
LOL, just when you think you have it right. I had everything backwards, including the way the lens is installed. Just took a bit of customizing to get everything in the correct way. I found this tutorial

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2741

some of the parts weren't fitting together correctly and I was afraid to break them putting everything together with my big monkey hands. After seeing the above tutorial and the side shots it all made sense.

I will post a picture to make sure I did it right. I would hate to burn down my house or something :) Oh and no, none of my coding skills helped me this time!! HAHAHA

See Image:
http://www.bmfwebconcepts.com/images/duh.jpg

vortextwist
11-04-2007, 07:26 AM
much better this time.

Soulkeeper7700
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
lol, i have yet to build my first saber because i have not yet ordered the parts...but i really hope i dont get stuck when it comes down to wiring all that stuff up.. i think i have it down just by looking at a few pics, i hope im not awakened rudely lol...

ArkaiHalon
11-08-2007, 06:05 PM
first lux saber i made, got it all wired up, spent an hour before i realized i'd wired the led backwards

Novastar
11-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Beauty of that is... wiring an LED backwards does not "kill" it. Diodes are great that way...

Soulkeeper7700
11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
HAHA yea thats a great thing that they dont blow out. it would be a shame to waste 9 bucks on one and have it torched for a simple and what would seem to be innocent error.

pipster79
11-08-2007, 08:13 PM
its not suprising when you think of the primary pourpose of a diode...to allow electricity to flow in only one dirction. if wired backwards voltage can not enter the diode

Soulkeeper7700
11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
hahaha i never thought of it that way... :D

ArkaiHalon
11-09-2007, 06:55 AM
it was great that I didn't blow the LED. I just wish it hadn't taken me an HOUR to figure out I had n00bed it. This is on top of the hour it took me to find a 1.25 sink tube to fit the blade holder.
Was during the constrution of prot01

alpine
11-09-2007, 06:58 AM
i totally noobed my first, i think most people wire the led backward the first time, but lucky me it only took me about 30seconds to realize i wired it backward

Novastar
11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Best way to test PRIOR to doing the "real" wiring is to have a "sacrificial battery tester", with wires at the ready on it.

I usually use 3v (or 3.6v Li-Ion) since that will USUALLY give you SOMEthing on most LEDs that we're using. If I'm going nuts with a Lux V, I have my Li-Ion 7.2 packs sitting around also.

Anyhow... all you do is *BRIEFLY* and I do mean briefly touch the contacts until you get the little flash you're hoping to see. You can't blow anything up unless you test with WAAAAAAY too much voltage for the corresponding LED... and even THEN... you might get away with doing the "wrong" voltage since the LED flashes so briefly.

But try to test it with the "right" voltage. This testing idea is most useful when your LED doesn't really have any clear markers on what solder point is + and which is -.

Finally though... most LED specs show the tiny tiny differences between what "side" of the LED is indeed + and - ... they are just so bloody small it's not worth trying, just use my "battery touch" idea. THEN solder away. Saves time, went-down-wrong-road troubleshooting, and prevents you from thinking your LED is "bad". :)

Bad LED! BAAAAD LED!! No soup for you!

ArkaiHalon
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
i had tested it. I just some how turned it between test and solder.
but i've gotten much better since then.

Soulkeeper7700
11-09-2007, 07:29 PM
haha.. well i hope i dont get the LED that someone forgot to put directions in the box... cuz i would hate to order one, wait x amount of time to receive it..and then break it.. but seeing how i am on limited money, instead of building a couple sabers with different colors, im gonna set mine up to be a quick change config, so i will order like 3 led's....

ArkaiHalon
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I hear ya. I just put in another order. getting a quick change kit, and an extra quick connect. Also finally ordered a corbin driver, and erv sold me a vader sound board. Hopefully will have them soon.

Soulkeeper7700
11-11-2007, 10:53 AM
hey Arkai, just so i can put a face to the name, you are the one who made the youtube video on the green Proto 2 saber right? i think thats what it was called.... the video starts out with the van halen music.

ArkaiHalon
02-05-2008, 09:51 AM
better late than never. NO that was not me on youtube.

xwingband
02-05-2008, 10:10 AM
hey Arkai, just so i can put a face to the name, you are the one who made the youtube video on the green Proto 2 saber right? i think thats what it was called.... the video starts out with the van halen music.

That's Eandori. I think you're mixing the names though... Arkai has done "proto" sabers like organic really old looking ones. Eandori refers to his sabers as that because it was essentially his second prototype.

Novastar
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
X is (per usual)... totally correct!

Eandori (Edwin) is the gent who made quite a few saber videos, one with the Van Halen music, and others demonstrating his green and red prototype sabers. He's a great guy, and you should ask him questions if you need answers. He definitely knows what he is doing, and actually implemented a "dual-speaker" chamber into a saber he sold on ebay.

Other projects that he's more known for would be the whole "flash on clash" project, where he's looking to trigger another LED or some other kind of light system (tied in with Erv's board) in order to make a flash effect that has more "punch". I suggested to him that we light the OUTSIDE (and not re-light the inside) of a poly-tube, as I believe it would show up better... but we'll see how it goes. It's a little more detailed than that, but... you get the jist.

Problem is... all of us are pretty busy with things like wives, g/fs, other work, etc. ... so making headway with "newer" ideas is sluggish at best.