PDA

View Full Version : converting an el mace windu lightsaber into luxeon

darth radius
11-03-2007, 10:58 AM
hi, i would need some help, i am trying to convert a sith planet el mace windu hilt (it has already the el electronic and a 3/4 blade) into a luxeon saber plus sound, somebody did that already? I think Xwing did something similar with an obi hilt....
i try to post some picture but i can't... Same topic on fx-sabers for them who want to look at it...

xwingband
11-03-2007, 12:01 PM
The one Korbath did... it should be just fine for conversion. I wouldn't count on sound, but if it's EL... it can be changed to a luxeon. Also given the way it's made, 1" blades aren't possible. With the blade options out there though I don't feel it's a loss.

Basically you take out the plug that comes with the Parks electronics kit and all that, replace it with a heatsink slug.

Totally doable. Sound, maybe (I wouldn't bet on it) but I'd have to see it internally.

Lord Maul
11-03-2007, 12:06 PM
This is the link to the FX-Sabers thread with all the pictures.

LINKY (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=9689.msg154717;topicseen#msg154717 )

xwingband
11-03-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't see pictures... but wahtever. Korbanth has one for auction and I've seen the pics anyway.

The batteries he uses are 3 CR123's for 9V. That'd be fine if you went with a driver. If it is converted I'd want to cut it to 6V if there isn't anything to stop it. The space gain might help.

darth radius
11-03-2007, 12:42 PM
thank you for those precious informations... Yes, it uses 3 CR123... The lux conversion is possible i am sure, as you said Xwing it a matter of replacing the electronic by something else... But i WANT sound! And that is my problem, till now, i don't know how to do that... I was thinking about using this Li-Ion 11V batterie from hyperdynes to gain space but i have no clue of the dimension of the pack, somebody knows it? I don't know if it fits in...
About the electronic; i think of using erv board (the new board support that voltage) and some very powerfull UV led like DO-CLO did once but i don't know what to buy...

xwingband
11-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Don't bother with Hyperdyne's li-ion pack. He's just reselling from other places. It's a waste of your money. Most boards cannot handle that much voltage anyway. CR123's are your best bang for your buck in terms of voltage and capacity anyway...

Here's the crux of sound... where are you going to put the sound holes? I'd worry about that a lot. If you want sound at the pommel you're going to have to use a piss ant small speaker and that's not good.

If you put a speaker in the middle you will have to put the sound holes somewhere rather obvious.

If you want sound it's not a simple swap. I'm not even sure Erv's board would fit either until you give accurate numbers to the internals. Most of Parks' sabers are 1 1/8" internally which is barely enough, if Korbanth carried that over it could prove an issue. Anything less than 1 1/8 and Erv's does not fit.

If you want to do this yourself... tread carefully. First you need to open it. Without internal dimensions all this talk is practically useless. That will totally determine the batteries you can use, speaker location (if possible at all), board possibilities, etc...

darth radius
11-03-2007, 01:15 PM
yes, you're right, we talk for nothing because i did not give anything concrete till now. And i won't be able to do anything on it before the 15 of november cause i go to hong kong for my work, as soon as i am back, i post pictures of the hilt disasembled plus dimensions... And if i really can't do it my self, why not sending it to you Xwing, for the ultimates conversion, you're really really good as i saw...

xwingband
11-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd be cool looking at it. I couldn't make promises though. I'd need to see the insides too to see how much is possible.

darth radius
11-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Xwing, i'm back from my trip and started yesterday to disasemble the saber! NOT EASY AT ALL, i would say, quite difficult actually; i would like to post some pictures here but i can't, i don't understand why!! What i can say is that the main part is 3/4 inch in diameter... So luxeon OK, SOUND NOT OK, There is still a solution: to turn some new parts bigger in inner diameter and adapt it... But long and complicated, i'm perplex....