PDA

View Full Version : Difference between the Luxeon Collimator Lenses

Jedi_Pete
11-04-2005, 10:16 PM
What’s the difference between blades with the Luxeon Collimator Lenses with the 5 degree and 10 degree viewing angles?

Strydur
11-09-2005, 08:59 AM
The difference is how the light is shaped. I have not seen much of a difference, and will do further testing once I find the diffuser material I am happy with. Here is what corbin says in his saber manual.

In your choice of 3, 6 or 10 degree beam.
The 10 degree is the standard for the film
blades and most dual tube designs. Some
like the 6 degree for the dual tube designs,
but both do fine. The 3 degree is only for
the tapered core designs.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

GeluKhanGharr
11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I had the same question. I would expect the tighter the beam, the more light higher on the blade, therefore a more evenly lit blade. I don't know if the small difference (5-10 degrees) would be noticeable, though. Probably a 25 degrees would look very different from a 5, with a lot more light at the base and less up towards the end.
Tim, you say you have not seen much of a difference. But that small difference you've seen - what was it like? Is my assumption correct?

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.

Strydur
11-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I have not really done any testing. When I get my diffuser in you can be sure I will not only test different degree lens's but will also test different tips as in with mirror, painted white, etc..

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Corbin_Das
12-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi guys
I've been experimenting with the different degree lenses for about 2 years now. Here's a picture showing a 1" OD 3/4" ID 38" long blade that is using my custom blade film (for the core effect) and my Bin 1 light blue Cyan 3 watt LED, which are rather difficult to get unless you buy a 100+ lot of them:

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/corbinspics6-alldegrees.JPG

As you can see, the 6 degree and the 10 degree are almost identical. I suspect the 5 degree lenses Tim sells would be EXTREMELY close to the 6 degree one I used here. I hope this comparison photo helps.

Corbin Das

Corbin_Das@Hotmail.com

Corbin's Components (www.youcanknow.org/corbin)

headwound
01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
sorry kind of an old thread, but corbin_das's post helped me out and I just wanted to say thanks.

Ryma Mara
11-23-2006, 11:41 AM
I was thining of something, I noticed on a lot of pics that with the blades you start to lose th elight effect the more it travles the length of the blade and then when ppl use whatever reflective material on teh tip to bring out some of the light back to the top of the blad?

What if a smaller od blade was used, would that make much of a difference?

xwingband
11-23-2006, 02:07 PM
If you maintain the same thickness of blade, no. 3/4" OD and 1/8" thick blades are generally pretty crappy. If you want smaller blades you have to use thinner PolyC. Smaller simply gives it less room to light up.

There are options out there that all but negate the need for anything other than a mirrored tip. Tim's blade as long as a reasonable length is great. Ultra's acetate, Gelu's PolyP, mylar, etc... films as more difficult but improve the evenness tons.

Or disregard it and give Corbin's film a try. :D