PDA

View Full Version : Shroud material

Stinky Bantha
11-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Does anyone know a good place to find aluminum pipe that would fit over mhs parts to make a shroud? Better yet, does anyone know what size will fit snugly over the mhs?

vortextwist
11-02-2007, 03:15 PM
alot of people have been looking for a long time. not sure what tim and corbin have come up with.

Stinky Bantha
11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Well if it isn't already there, I'll go ahead and add it to the wishlist.

Darth Lars
11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
What is the outer diameter of the MHS parts anyway?
I need the measurement to be accurate to in tens of millimeters to be sure.

vortextwist
11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
37 mm will be snug.

Darth Lars
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
37 mm will be snug.
Practically everyone outside the US use the metric system, which means that a "standard 1.5" sink pipe" is standard only in the USA. I have to get something else, and I use stock aluminum pipe.
If the MHS part is infinitesmally larger than the inner diameter of my pipe, then it will not fit.
Previously, I have made saber parts by putting the inner part in the freezer and the outer tube in the kitchen oven for a while and then hammered the parts together, but I'd prefer not to, because it can add some serious dents and scratches. (Incidentally, I have done this with tubes, both measured to 37.0 mm inner vs. outer)
I have also had a case where two parts fit together beautifully, but then I painted the inner part with a couple of thin coats of black spray paint and then they did not fit any more.
This is why getting to know the precision is so important.

Ghostbat
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
If you need it within a 10millionth of a mm tolerance you may be doomed I'm not sure I have ever even held a measuring device that would give me that. :)

vortextwist
11-02-2007, 04:48 PM
true but wet sanding the mhs might give you the clearance you need. I used this and my cordless drill under the sink and some sandpaper

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=32