PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Dar's Jedi Costume

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi all! I just wanted to make a quick post and show off the fruits of my labour.

I showed up for work in costume Wednesday, and kept it on all day. What a hoot! I got a lot of compliments, and people were even more amazed when I told them that I sewed it myself. I guess I don't look like the type that can sew. Who knows?

Even better were the people who had no idea what I was dressed up as. I got all kinds of crazy guesses. One guy thought I was a samurai. OK, that was close. We'll give him half points for that. Another thought I was some Biblical character. He still didn't get it when I hinted that I was a character from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. One older lady thought I was a Cossack. Huh?

A couple of people even brought out their cameras and asked if they could take my picture. Sure, why not. If you dress up in a costume, it's a given that you are going to draw some attention. I went along with it, and had a lot of fun.

Anyway, enough chatter, here are some pictures:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Obi-Dar_Tunic_3.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Obi-Dar_Tunic_2.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Obi-Dar_robe_2.jpg

Now, I can't wait for the next convention to come to Toronto.

valeon
11-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Looks really good, my costume should be done by tonight. Just a few finishing touches. I'm making Tsyrin's as well, so I'll post pics of us together.

ArkaiHalon
11-02-2007, 05:08 AM
looks good. I love the belt.

Jay-gon Jinn
11-02-2007, 07:00 AM
That turned out pretty good!

Jetsi
11-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Very nice. My Sith costume came out allright, just needs some minor modifications. My Jedi still needs some work, I didn't like how it came out.

What did you use for fabric of the outer tunic, obi, and tabbards?

Treadingwolf
11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
nice! Is that wool? I need to finish up mine someday lol.

Hasid Lafre
11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Can you post a close up pic of your robes fabric?

All in all looks good.

Needs a inner tunic, Something that comes closer to the neck.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-03-2007, 05:50 PM
The tunic, obi, and tabbards are a wool blend. If I remember correctly, it's 95% wool, 5% nylon. They called it suiting material. I picked it because I liked the texture and the feel of it. When I washed it, it came out really soft and fuzzy. It's a little warm, but not too bad.

The robe is 95% acrylic, 5% umm... something else. Again, I picked it for the rough texture and the feel of it. It flows nicely when I walk, but I need to shorten the hem a little. I kept picking up leaves and twigs. :)

You're right, Hasid. I need to make an inner tunic. I wanted to, but I ran out of time so I just used a v-neck t-shirt. It was OK, but it could be a lot better. What material do you think I should use? Simple cotton, or something else?

Here's that close up:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Jedi_material2.jpg

Jedi Ranger
11-03-2007, 06:39 PM
That looks great!

Excellent choice on fabrics!

Jay-gon Jinn
11-03-2007, 06:48 PM
If you're going for a full under tunic, I'd go with cotton, as it's light weight and breathes. If you were to make a "cheater" or ****ie style under tuinc, oyu could use whatever you want, as it is basically a collar, not a shirt.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-03-2007, 06:59 PM
The pattern package, (Simplicity #5840 if anyone is interested,) included a pattern for a ****ie. I may use it for a reference to get the collar right, but I'd like to make a full under tunic. I suppose I could use the pattern for the outer tunic, and just make the collar a little higher, and make short sleeves.

Syphon
11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Fabric on debit card.....35 dollars
Needle and Thread on debit card......5 dollars
Under shirt on debit card.....10 dollars
Pattern for Jedi Costume on debit card......25 dollars
Having the guts to tell everyone in your forum that you can sew....Priceless

For everything else theres MOM :wink:

Jetsi
11-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Fabric on debit card.....35 dollars
Needle and Thread on debit card......5 dollars
Under shirt on debit card.....10 dollars
Pattern for Jedi Costume on debit card......25 dollars
Having the guts to tell everyone in your forum that you can sew....Priceless

For everything else theres MOM :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jedi-Loreen
11-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Looks good. My only critcism is that the hood of your robe it kind of small.
Check out how voluminous the one on Jay-Gon's robe is.

Now that's a hood! :wink:

Jay-gon Jinn
11-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Yup, my hood is pretty big....A 40" x 20" piece of fabric was used for it. Here it is from behind:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/dark-brown-jedi-robe-2.jpghttp://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/dark-brown-jedi-robe-3.jpg

Hood size is a matter of personal preference really. I wanted to really get the movie look, where you can hide your face if you want to.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Funny, I hadn't seen that you two posted here.

I agree that the hood is too small. Fortunately, I have lots of the robe material left over. Next time I drag the sewing machine out, I'll make a new one.

I remember someone saying that they made a sleeve in their robe to hold their blade. Where would you put that so it wouldn't look goofy or get in the way?

kinchar bamin
12-24-2007, 03:04 PM
great costume.make it in black andI'll fall in love methinks!

Jedi-Loreen
12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Not everyone wants to be a Sith, or a Dark Jedi, you know. :roll:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-24-2007, 08:45 PM
great costume.make it in black andI'll fall in love methinks!

Sorry bud, I'm taken. Besides, you're not my type.;)

ArkaiHalon
12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Not everyone wants to be a Sith, or a Dark Jedi, you know. :roll:

Mine's black, and I'm lightside. so there :-P. LOL

seriously though, great costume.

Hasid Lafre
12-25-2007, 02:32 AM
As for the blade in the robe thing most usually make a pouch kinda thing in where a seam is, or if you are good at hiding your stiching you oculd place it in just about anywhere really but I would have it on the side somewhere and easaly accessable.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Cool. Thanks, Hasid.

Hasid Lafre
12-26-2007, 02:34 AM
no problemo

DARTH KALEL
04-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I think it looks great man, since my costume is so different I will need different type of fabric, but when I make my Jedi costum that's where i'm going with fabric, looks great.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, another old thread revived!;)

Thanks for the compliment, but if I could do it over, I would do it differently. The benefit of this wool suiting material is that it looks great, and has a nice texture. The down side is that it's stinking hot! It's wool for crying out loud!

Heh...

I wore it last Halloween, and I sweat my knackers off on the last day of October. I'm planning to go to a convention in Toronto in August. Have you ever been to Toronto in August? Can you say, "Holy humidex Batman!"? Lets just say that unfortunately, I'll be going in shorts and a t-shirt.

If I can justify the expense before then, I'll make another tunic out of some light weight cotton or something, but that's a big if.

That said, I'd love to see some sketches if you have any.

Hasid Lafre
04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Maybe get a undersute like the one that lan has for when he weares his vader sute.

Its susposed to keep you cool or warm depending on the climate or whatever.