PDA

View Full Version : Seoul P4 green?? Brighter than the REBEL?

Maliki Skywalker
11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't know if this is old news but Led-tech.de is offering a Seoul P4 green with a max lumen at 180, higher then the REBEL! :shock:

Heres the link:
http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-LEDs-Seoul/-3.5W-Seoul-LEDs/Seoul-3.5W-Star-LED--P4-Version--LT-1166_121_78.html

They do offer other colors but you cant beat a good old green blade :lol:

xwingband
11-01-2007, 12:04 PM
That is actualy on par with the Rebel. The Rebels are listed at 700mA but you can take them to 1000mA.

So the Rebel has a lot of top room to go higher than what you are seeing listed.

Even so the tiny Rebel has some kick. The left is a LOW binned Rebel (95 @700 ma, actually at 1000mA for pic) and right is the 130 lumen K2. Tell me that's not. :shock:

http://www.incomsabers.com/images/rebcomp.jpg

The middle is a top binned one. While it was fuller I think the LED could give more if I had proper equipment to reflow solder it with. I fear that I damage it slightly with too much heat. I'm going home this weekend so I may try with better stuff.

Maliki Skywalker
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
That is actualy on par with the Rebel. The Rebels are listed at 700mA but you can take them to 1000mA.

So the Rebel has a lot of top room to go higher than what you are seeing listed.

Even so the tiny Rebel has some kick. The left is a LOW binned Rebel (95 @700 ma, actually at 1000mA for pic) and right is the 130 lumen K2. Tell me that's not. :shock:

http://www.incomsabers.com/images/rebcomp.jpg

The middle is a top binned one. While it was fuller I think the LED could give more if I had proper equipment to reflow solder it with. I fear that I damage it slightly with too much heat. I'm going home this weekend so I may try with better stuff.

Is it still worth a try? :? you win this round Xwing :lol:

xwingband
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Sure, I'm just saying don't count those Rebels out! In my experience they put out a lot!

Maybe when I put in a order with LED-tech I'll get one... have to sort out my current order though. :evil:

Novastar
11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
What good are the Rebels without optics though, right? ;)

xwingband
11-01-2007, 12:53 PM

There are optics... how do you think I took the pictures? That's not a tri-rebel, it's a single.

Maliki Skywalker
11-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Here you go Nova :wink:

http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-Zubehoer/Polymer-Optiken/Polymer-Luxeon-REBEL-Linse-6%B0-LT-1089_106_108.html

Darth_swarze
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
HEY GUYS that 180 lumens is nothin,u can get green at285 lumens and blue at 66,and red at 200 at this german sight

the seoul eve haves a 47 lumen orange led,i wonder if its real orange or just amber? and is 47 lumen alot for the color orange is the question

www.leds.de

Hey x wing i like that picture comparison u showed,but i have a question foryou,you know how the green k2 gives that real good vibriant green? and movie like blue?

are the luxeon rebels the same? or are they different or more like the luxeon5 watts in color?

xwingband
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Ooo... another german site to buy from! They always seem to be up and ahead in the LED stuff.

The Green 285 you're looking at is a triple... same issue as the other triples. OPTICS!

Ewww... they're shipping to the US sucks! I'd buy if not for that. LED-tech pissed me off. It'll be at least 2 wees before they correct my order if no feet dragging occurs.

For the Rebel Color? The K2 looked frickin' dingy compared to the K2. More vibrant, but essentially the same shade minus the brightness difference I was getting.

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmmmph @ 'puny' :wink: 285 lumens...the same site has this Osram Ostar white star with OVER A THOUSAND LUMENS! :P

http://www.leds.de/product_info.php?info=p439_Osram-Ostar-LE-UW-E3B--1120lm.html

It looks like it would take a LOT of juice and might need active cooling [?] but it also says this is a standard sized star...hmmmm...

Could this be a basis for a 'daylight saber' of the future? :wink: 8)

[yeah, yeah I know...optics, optics, optics...well at least worries about filters 'dimming' the saber would be a thing of the past eh? :lol: ]

Maliki Skywalker
11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Hmmmph @ 'puny' :wink: 285 lumens...the same site has this Osram Ostar white star with OVER A THOUSAND LUMENS! :P

http://www.leds.de/product_info.php?info=p439_Osram-Ostar-LE-UW-E3B--1120lm.html

It looks like it would take a LOT of juice and might need active cooling [?] but it also says this is a standard sized star...hmmmm...

Could this be a basis for a 'daylight saber' of the future? :wink: 8)

[yeah, yeah I know...optics, optics, optics...well at least worries about filters 'dimming' the saber would be a thing of the past eh? :lol: ]

Saids it needs around 20V! :shock: Didnt know LED's could take that!?

Novastar
11-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Of course LEDs can be designed to handle super-high voltages.

Did you know that most stoplights now have LED arrays vs. the older lamps? How many volts do you think they need. To be seen during the day. Granted, they are shrouded by the black, conical housings. Still.

Anyhow. Yes, there are plenty of 60v, 120v, XXXv LED arrays out there. So, joy... strap a gigantor battery backpack to yourself, hook 'em up to the LED arrays, don't forget your MONUMENTAL SLAB of aluminum for a heatsink, and run out there and duel with that 8" diameter beast of bashing.

Might be more like a Ghostbuster though. Proton pack and all. :)

alpine
11-02-2007, 01:33 AM
lol now thats funny. intresting point you make novastar.

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Novastar it says that is a STANDARD SIZED star so I don't see why you think it would need an 8" diameter emitter...your point on heatsink is well taken hence my comment about perhaps needing active cooling [hmmmm maybe that obi wan epIII/IV neck 'vane' was a fan for cooling the grenade grip eh? :wink: ] and yes I can certainly see one needing a looooooooong heatsink and perhaps therefore loooooooooong hilt but I dont understand why you think it would need an unusually WIDE one :?:

And it isnt 60V its 20V...yeah thats a lot compared to a Lux V but I've seen 6 AA pack NiCads being sold here for that use and now I see Strydur is now offering 2 AA sized Li-Ion packs producing 7.2V - so it seems to me a six-pack of those would provide the requisite 20V forward voltage?

Lord Maul
11-05-2007, 08:10 PM
And the 900mAh of Tim's packs will last all of 2 seconds with that LED. Face it, there is NO WAY that LED is feasible until new super high capacity batteries are made, and even then that LED will require a beast of a heatsink.

Novastar
11-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Novastar it says that is a STANDARD SIZED star so I don't see why you think it would need an 8" diameter emitter...your point on heatsink is well taken hence my comment about perhaps needing active cooling [hmmmm maybe that obi wan epIII/IV neck 'vane' was a fan for cooling the grenade grip eh? :wink: ] and yes I can certainly see one needing a looooooooong heatsink and perhaps therefore loooooooooong hilt but I dont understand why you think it would need an unusually WIDE one :?:

And it isnt 60V its 20V...yeah thats a lot compared to a Lux V but I've seen 6 AA pack NiCads being sold here for that use and now I see Strydur is now offering 2 AA sized Li-Ion packs producing 7.2V - so it seems to me a six-pack of those would provide the requisite 20V forward voltage?There is nothing to say that creativity can't solve many problems, but... some are certainly spacial/physical.

I could see 6 of the 18650 Li-Ion cells making this project happen. That would take an enormous amount of physical space. Not even including the heatsink... and the batteries themselves would be about $60 or $70 total.

I say do it, and show us all that it can indeed be done! :) Also, I agree... you could go longer instead of fatter for the hilt. I say for THIS project--length would be a bad idea for the heatsink, and not be worth it to extend the batteries by a x3 length... I would do 3 and 3. And you're right, you could get away with something like 1.75"(?) for the OD.

Maliki Skywalker
11-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Would Corbin's driver be compatible with a P4?? :?

Novastar
11-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Maliki... well, Corbin's board essentially drives out 1000ma (1A), so... although I don't know the specs off-hand of the P4, I seem to recall that it can work with 350ma to 1000ma... I think.

So, in other words--Corbin's board can support ANY LED you like... only question is: what is the LED "best" and "brightest" at?

In general, Corbin's board is best for driving LEDs that are "looking for" 1A of current.

Maliki Skywalker
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi Maliki... well, Corbin's board essentially drives out 1000ma (1A), so... although I don't know the specs off-hand of the P4, I seem to recall that it can work with 350ma to 1000ma... I think.

So, in other words--Corbin's board can support ANY LED you like... only question is: what is the LED "best" and "brightest" at?

In general, Corbin's board is best for driving LEDs that are "looking for" 1A of current.

Thanks Novastar :D , ill look up the specs and figure it out.

does anyone know anywhere that has corbins driver in stock? :?

Zero Unit
11-28-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't suppose this would work, would it?

http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-LEDs-Seoul/3.5W-Seoul-Plug-und-Light/Dreifach-Austauschlinse-10%B0-LT-583_121_80.html

Novastar
11-29-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't get it... work for what? As optics???

The diameter of that is 50mm, which is essentially 2 inches. I mean, sure, it appears you can get three Lux IIIs or K2s or what not under there... but... so what? :)

Getting the 3 to converge into a SINGLE beam that illuminates a 1" tube or whatever... THAT'S a problem...

"It's probably not a problem... probably" --a scientist from Half Life (the first one)