PDA

View Full Version : crystal focus and TCSS' PLI

orko
11-01-2007, 09:41 AM
does any one know if the two are compatable to wire up according to the instructions for the crystal focus or is there a different wiring method if so which pin on the TCSS PLI get wired to the board?

xwingband
11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't wire it to the board at all. I'd hook it in as a separate circuit... that's of course if you hook it with a switch. If you want it constantly on, I wouldn't know off the top of my head.

DACOTA
11-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Down load the cf manual from plecterlabs.com, and then look at the wiring diagram for the bargraph. And just wire it like that except forget about that grey control wire. If you wont have the switch whch cuts power to the board even when its off then I would say you could could just splice the wires leads to the luxeon and the pli. What do you think X ?

Novastar
11-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Well... I'll chime in here with the tiny bit I can offer...

I don't know *exactly* how the Corbin/TCSS PLI works, but I DO know that it functions as several LEDs... some green, some amber, some red. All of them lit = full, and then green eventually goes out, then ambers, then you're on the red ones.

ERV'S power level indicator... is simply using ONE LED (thus far in the design), and can be commanded by the board to blink more rapidly as the battery level wanes.

All this being said--getting the TCSS/Corbin PLI to function in a logical format with Erv's board--might be a bit overkill!

You simply need one LED if you go with Erv's board.

HOWEVER... :)

Having the TCSS/Corbin PLI wired up on its own, or in ADDITION to the Plecter single LED... could be neat! More lights, more fun... and maybe a bit more "specific" idea of what the voltage is.

Jonitus
11-02-2007, 06:57 AM
You can wire the PLI to Erv's board, so long as you don't expect it to function as anything more than "bling". If you wire it positive to LED+ and negative to battery-, the LEDs on the PLI will flash in sync with the flicker of the blade. It's neat looking, but worthless as teets on a mule.

Follow the suggestion of wiring it on a separate circuit interrupted with a momentary switch. It will actually function that way...with alkaline batteries or NiMH cells. Pretty worthless for monitoring Li-Ions.

DACOTA
11-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Yeah, besides we already have pli's,.......they are called Blades!

When they lose the brightness we know its time to power the up on the charger,or whatever [new batteries].

orko
11-03-2007, 07:40 PM
what if put a gen on off switch on the pos lead and wired the pli on the pos and neg leads right before they connect to the board, will it still work as a pli ? will it damage the crystal focus ?

I have also decided to make the guts cylender and a crystal holder similar to ervs but i also wanted to use about a foot of el wire accent and i found a 3v dc driver that will power 1-1.5' of el wire http://www.thatscoolwire.com/store/item.asp?Category=168&SubCategoryID=142&GroupID=&SKU=3v%2D25%2D50cm

if i wire this driver to to the luxeon connection on the crystal focus does any think it will work?

Novastar
11-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah, besides we already have pli's,.......they are called Blades!

When they lose the brightness we know its time to power the up on the charger,or whatever [new batteries].Agreed with Dacota. I *never* understand the insane logistical concerns on PLI setups. Personally, I think there are better things to setup, such as flashing LEDs, LEDs that "mirror" what the main Lux/high-powered LED does, etc. etc.

It's not just because I use Li-Ions. I just re-charge my sabers after every use. No memory effect and all anyhow. I almost NEVER see them shut off/dim due to low batts... :)