PDA

View Full Version : I need help with Sound for a Vader ROTJ saber

PastorJedi
10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I have the EL electronics in my Vader ROTJ saber. What would it take to add sound to it? Someone suggested that I could use the sound board from a Hasbro toy lightsaber.

Luar Selbor
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
what kind of sound do you want, MR or Hasbro?

there is a big difference in the two

PastorJedi
10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Is there a difference?

xwingband
10-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes... Hasbros are momentary and not good quality.

MR's are latching and sound a lot better.

What that means is an MR would be LOADS easier to wire because your EL is already latching.

The absolute easiest way to add sound is to get a DPDT switch. This will allow you to make them as two different circuits. Then 9V for the EL is too high. You will need to get a regulator (easily gotten at radioshack) to bring the voltage down. The caveat is that will give bad runtimes, but it would work.

Luar Selbor
10-31-2007, 05:25 PM
the MR is like the movies

Hasbro is nothing like the movies (I think)

xwingband
10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
the MR is like the movies

Hasbro is nothing like the movies (I think)

Like the movies that they are only two sound sets not even related to the movies? :roll:

The quality is better though. Hasbro's sound like weedwhackers and are a pain to work with. They're even harder because they fry with voltage even easier.

Luar Selbor
11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
:?
Never thought about it that way.

Novastar
11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Voltage is one of the main reasons to even BOTHER with newer drivers like the CF, Ultra, Corbin, etc.

Otherwise, I'd just cannibalize FX cards over and over. Well... except for the boredom of 3 clashes on the Ani/Obi/Yoda/Lukey board... ... ... ... and ONE CLASH on the Vader/Maul/sithy board. STUPID. Irritating and excessive, too.

Cymbal crash... over and over and over and over and over AND over and OVER. God I hate that. Drives me NUTS.

Luar Selbor
11-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Ya...I have the Vader ESB and I don’t like the clash sound

But my Ani is really nice

I don’t think that there are three clash sounds. I think it is sensing the two vibrations one over the other and the sound is overlapping.

Ghostbat
11-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I just pulled out my annakin and ran a very slow test (smacked my palm once every five seconds) and I do get three very distinct sounds.

In another unrelated test I took one of my old hasbro sabers out and clashed it against the force fx and while I am generally unimpressed with the hasbro sound, bot at once dueling is a nice contrast.

Tekka
11-03-2007, 08:25 AM
You should definitely skip the Hasbro soundboard, it's terrible, i bought 1 expecting it to sound decent but once i heard that horrible horrible humming sound i felt cheated and went right back to target to get my money back.

Ghostbat
11-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I still think that for the price the Hasbro boards are OK, I will be building sabers around the test ones I have and will continue to pick them up when I find them cheap. Given the opportunity I will upgrade of course (then build new sabers around the old boards, the cycle is unending!) The sound is very important to me so I take the stance of 'better less than none'