PDA

View Full Version : hilt guts ........

orko
10-27-2007, 08:05 AM
first before i get to the topic, i want to say that i respect the TCSS as a buissiness and if i am at all stepping out of line here please let me know.

Ive been trying to come up with a way to get a rechargeable battery pack ultra board, speaker and all the wiring neatly into my new saber but it all looks like a bowl of noodles and when i got it closed boom i twisted off a wire and now i have to pull it all out and resolder. with checking through the galleries at ervs page i saw that cylinder he made to hold all the guts for his saber... now since i repaired my solder i was able to get all parts back in the graflex with some difficulty but all is in and it works great. Now i want to build my first mhs saber and im really not to fond of make shift stuff like plastic sink tubes and tape for putting together the guts of saber. So to get to the point is, i found a machine shop that will machine an aluminum cylinder as follows length 5" x O.D. 1.24" x I.D. 1.1" with a inner depth of 4". one side of the cylinder open and the opposite side closed with two holes drilled to accomadate wiring the switch, recharge, luxeon ect. heres my problem THEY WONT MAKE JUST ONE!!!!!!
The min or is 30 peices @ $20.00 each and the price of corse gets cheaper the more you order. So if there is anyone at all interested in buying one, these cylinders are all aluminum with enough room to accomidate the 1x1x3" battery pack tcss sells a speaker and any board no bigger than 1x3" the actual price of the cylinder is 17.68 each and the other 2 bux for me to send it to ya, I am in no way trying to make a profit of any kind. they said that it would take 30 days to complete the order from the time it is put in. If anyone at all is interested please let me know.

xwingband
10-27-2007, 09:41 AM
im really not to fond of make shift stuff like plastic sink tubes and tape for putting together the guts of saber.

At least my sabers don't break the wires that way. :roll: If it were makeshift it'd be unplanned like your where twisting wires break.

Honestly dude... I doubt anyone wants to pay $20 when a $2 sinktube does the same thing. If it's not meant to be seen... who really cares?!?! Function over form in this case.

Did you know cutting what Erv recommends and you saw was a SINKTUBE? Or perhaps if you saw the graflex he did was threaded rods and plastic??? All stuff you could easily get at a hardware store.

I didn't provide a picture before, but here's what I did:
http://www.incomsabers.com/images/chassis.jpg

Not the prettiest in the world but it's rock solid and works every bit as well as a a machined aluminum blank at a fraction of the cost.

EDIT: Crap I didn't spell resonance on the pic correctly. Also, TCSS is about DIY... Why would I pay $20 when I can pay $14 for 1-1/4" OD, 1.18" ID, .035" Wall Thickness Aluminum Tubing @ 3' long and cut it myself to whatever is needed?

Jay-gon Jinn
10-27-2007, 10:10 AM
The idea with the plastic is also that it is non-conductive. Aluminum is a good conductor , so if you put your electronics inside an aluminum carrier, you run the risk of the board shorting against the carrier.

vortextwist
10-27-2007, 10:11 AM
very nice x. where do you get those small quick connects?

Jay-gon Jinn
10-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I could use some of those small quick connects myself!

xwingband
10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
very nice x. where do you get those small quick connects?

I've heard them called JST connects but good luck find a place that actually has a consistent name for them...

I bought those from here (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CON-230P/189/2_CONDUCTOR_CONNECTOR,_MALE_.html) They the female one too. I guess a good hobby store would have them too. They are a standard for RC stuff.

I bet a better place could be found, but I wanted them enough I just bought them.

orko
10-27-2007, 10:41 AM
definititly making sense xwing, i guess im too much of a perfectionist and just knowing that the guts inside my hilt are not all neat makes me nuts. I guess its just due to my job. Also considering the limited space in a 3 cell graflex to begin with. Ah well "E" for effort.

xwingband
10-27-2007, 10:57 AM
You can certainly make a pretty carrier for you electronic with hardware stuff.

Like what Erv did on that one graflex and Yoda of fx-sabers is doing in his... it's essentially threaded rods, bushings and washers! If you take your time and are careful it's mighty nice looking.

I don't intend on seeing the inside of my graflex so what I did works fine.

For reference this is Yoda's:
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1200/5wattbattchassal4.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa60/FX-SABERS/GraflexIVANHVintageADp3.jpg

Pretty ehh? Other than he has the benefit of a laser cutter to cut his plastic... like I said it's threaded rod and bushings. Take your time and you can make something nice too. those crystal cores of his... those are those belly button things for slutty attention whore girls. It's really simple too.

orko
10-27-2007, 12:55 PM
...hey my wife has her belly peirced watchya tryin to say ! :lol:

getting threaded rod is no problem home depot has that but i dont want threaded rod, where can you get the rod in the pics (i can thread it mysylf) and the plastic spacers that stuff i know i cant find because i know home depot doesnt carry it and the small hardware stores by me, well lets just say i wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

vortextwist
10-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I beleive a guy on fx sabers used poker chips for his spacers.

Lord Maul
10-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Darth Morbius uses poker chips. Durable as hell, you can't break those things by hand if you try.

TorLinWaDur
10-27-2007, 02:20 PM
i hope those weren't the real poker chips from Las Vegas cause they worth real money lol.

Vazan Maceu
10-27-2007, 03:54 PM
getting threaded rod is no problem home depot has that but i dont want threaded rod, where can you get the rod in the pics (i can thread it mysylf) and the plastic spacers that stuff i know i cant find because i know home depot doesnt carry it and the small hardware stores by me, well lets just say i wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

For the spacers... Why donīt you get a Delrin bar of the appropiate outer diameter, and cut it in slices? Or better yet, cut and carve it to hold your electronics... Just my 2 cents on this :wink:

xwingband
10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
...hey my wife has her belly peirced watchya tryin to say ! :lol:

Pierced navel.. okay. Wearing a jeweled blinky in your belly button... attention whore? Why yes indeed.

That's what I'm saying it is... or something close enough to see it's really simple construction.

He is using bushings. Unless I'm thinking of something else that's what they are. They are tubes that slide OVER the threaded rod. Grab a bunch of them and you could space out your washers or whatever with them exactly like he's doing.

Strydur
10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Here is something I whipped up the other day messing around. Its a speaker and 7.2 li-ion pack housed on a 1.25" sink tube with a speaker holder on one end and a washer (mpsi2) on the other end.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/images/sphous1.jpg
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/images/sphous2.jpg
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/images/sphous3.jpg

xwingband
10-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Yup, maybe it's not fancy or even pretty, but that's darn functional! Extend it a bit to house your board and you could have a modular electronics system. :)

IMHO, the addition of the speaker holder and making it compatible with 1.25" plastic sinktubes is the single greatest thing we've gotten outside of new MHS parts.

Angelus Lupus
10-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Looks like a good setup there, secure and neat. I'll take 1

orko
10-27-2007, 06:29 PM
sweet

Strydur
10-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I could probably offer a sink tube section that has been lathed down to work. A standard tube would take some sanding which would not be fun to do by hand. Then you just glue in your speaker..mount that assembly to the sink tube and your set.

orko
10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
thanks for all your help and ideas, with a bit of net research i found this place http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm?affiliate_id=370 they have all types of plastics & metals solid or tube & sheet and they accept small orders and pricing is very reasonable......

I adjusted the link to our affiliate one. You may as well support the forums while buying from them. Use the link under links on the storefront.- Strydur

ArkaiHalon
10-28-2007, 04:49 AM
MES. MES. MES

LAN-ED-TUL
10-28-2007, 12:07 PM
yep, nice place to get stuff from. i have bought materials from them before. the shipping to me was the only pain. kinda high in my case.

vortextwist
10-28-2007, 12:16 PM
very nice tim. i like it.

alpine
10-30-2007, 05:06 AM
i may have to think about the modular electronics for my new saber.... *starts drawing a schematic*