PDA

View Full Version : Proud to present my first MHS :)

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Well, after long hours of work...here she is...

Modeled after Erv's 'OddyTwo'...

Features:
Black MPP clamp
Graflex Glass Eye retention screw
Aux and Power buttons hidden in MPP Clamp
Recharge Port in Pommel
Aluminum Covertec button

Running Erv's CF version 2.63 with a Lux III Cyan at 1A.

Thanks to all who helped on this board :)

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/IMG_2117.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/IMG_2118.jpg

Tom Starkiller
10-27-2007, 07:34 AM

Lol, I thought it was it at first. Looks awesome.

vortextwist
10-27-2007, 07:37 AM
very nice man. been thinkin of usin that type of clamp. does it fit snug?

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys...

Clamp is nice and tight....no wiggle room....

Was worried I'd have to jimmy up something to keep it locked down...but it works like a charm straight out the box! Blast-tech is awesome.

Highly recommended!!

vortextwist
10-27-2007, 08:01 AM
cool. thanks man

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 08:11 AM
No problem Vortex....

BTW...I'm in Nebraska too....wonder if there are any other Huskers on board?

Angelus Lupus
10-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Any chance you can post some close ups of the switches in the clamp? I'm looking to do the same thing (plus the LEDs like erv did) on my heiland.

vortextwist
10-27-2007, 08:14 AM
darth dan is from lincoln, my brother hasid lafre and I are in Fremont. where you from? the cheeker is in lincoln to I beleive.

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Am in Omaha for the next year or so....

I serve in the Navy, and will likely get orders to change station in the next year.

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Angelus:

Will do...

The switches are micro momentary switches. Can be had rather cheaply (I bought mine for something like 26 cents apiece).

FWIW...the clamp has enough space between each of the 'ears' to accomodate a slide switch from a MR board too...so it will work great for either type of button.

I didn't do the LEDs under the bubble strip, but could always add them later :D

Jay-gon Jinn
10-27-2007, 08:38 AM
That really looks good, a fantastic job on a first MHS saber!

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Here is the power button:

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/Power1.jpg

The Recharge Port:

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/Port.jpg

...and the Aux Button:

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/Aux1.jpg

Cheers!

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 08:47 AM
That really looks good, a fantastic job on a first MHS saber!

Thanks so much Jay-gon Jinn!!!

I really enjoy this new hobby...especially seeing the looks on peoples faces when you 'whip it out' so to speak....lol.

Cheers

Tom Starkiller
10-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Sweet! Do you have a blade?

If so, care to show it off a little? :P

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Shucks...might as well show off the rest of my Geekdom...

Here is the belt I made for my HW costume:

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/Belt1.jpg

and with the pouch:

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/Belt2.jpg

Will see if I can get some blade pics....

Tom Starkiller
10-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I want that belt!

It looks awesome.

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 09:26 AM
I want that belt!

It looks awesome.

Thanks Tom....lotsa work in that one too...but also lotsa fun.

Here is the blade..(note: it looks a bit more green in person than in the pic....much more Cyan)

http://homepage.mac.com/richlisagreen/.Pictures/Blade1.jpg

Angelus Lupus
10-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the info, those micro momentary switches look like they'll leave plenty of room for the LEDs

Kamurah
10-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info, those micro momentary switches look like they'll leave plenty of room for the LEDs

I think so....especially if you are conservative on the amount of wire you use for the switches....I had lots of extra because I soldered everything before putting it in place....

I think if you waited to solder the switches AFTER you put everything in the clamp, you could cut down on the extra wire. Doesn't leave much room for re-configuration or disassembly later on...

Another nice touch I highly recommend is using quick disconnects on the main LED and the speaker. I did this so I could actually unscrew / take everything apart without twisting wires too much.

I am using a Deans UltraPlug system (which are smaller than the Tamiya plugs Tim sells). They work great and are easy to solder.

Cheers

Jay-gon Jinn
10-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, there's nothing like whipping out uor saber and watching the jaws drop, is there? :lol:

37H4N
10-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Very coo saber Kamura! I love the overall design, very nice! 8)

DACOTA
10-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Man I thought he bought ervs saber at first. :shock: That is really good for a first saber. :shock: :shock: Nice job. :wink:

Angelus Lupus
10-29-2007, 09:44 AM
someone else on here does have erv's oddy two, IIRC

Kamurah
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Man I thought he bought ervs saber at first. :shock: That is really good for a first saber. :shock: :shock: Nice job. :wink:

Thanks!!

I emailed pics to Erv, and he suggested I call it "Oddy Free".... :D

So that's her name :wink:

.....too bad it wasn't in that price range when I constructed it lol

Jedi-Loreen
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Very cool saber. 8)

And nice belt, but what's the purpose of that extra piece that's screwed onto the inside end?

valeon
10-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a strange question, what do you use to secure the buttons in the MPP clamp? In fact, what kind of buttons did you use?

Kamurah
10-30-2007, 04:36 AM
Very cool saber. 8)

And nice belt, but what's the purpose of that extra piece that's screwed onto the inside end?

I am assuming you are talking about the belt....

Ya see...that end is held in place against the outer-inner section by velcro, which is attached to the belt via leather cement....however....I found the inner-inner section of velcro wanted to pull free / come unglued.....so I re-glued it, and also put a second leather section (to keep it less 'bendy', and riveted through the velcro to hold ends in place.

Now it's nice and secure, and no velcro comes unglued from the belt. Confused? :D

Not the most elegant solution...but it is invisible when the belt is worn, and it works like I want it to.

Kamurah
10-30-2007, 04:41 AM
I have a strange question, what do you use to secure the buttons in the MPP clamp? In fact, what kind of buttons did you use?

Not strange...a very good question / observation.

The buttons are micro-momentary tactile switches. I bought mine at Sparkfun.com, but they can be found in several different online catalogs.
They are the kind that are often used on PCB's / surface mount electronics to test batteries or the like. Very small....and easy to work with. I am also using this design of switch under the Red Button of a Graflex I am converting.

Right now....they are not attached to anything. What keeps them in place is basically the fact there is extra wire wrapped behind them. The extra wire keeps them from being pushed too far inward, but also is stiff enough to keep the buttons from falling out.

I will likely glue them in place at some point just to finish the whole thing off...but right now, this works just fine.

Cheers

Wu-Li Ruwashii
10-30-2007, 05:56 AM
this is a beautiful sword... simple and functional.

DACOTA
10-30-2007, 09:05 AM
One last thing, where did you get the mpp clamp?

Kamurah
10-30-2007, 09:30 AM
www.blast-tech.com

Cheers!

:D

Angelus Lupus
10-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Just one more question: what size are those switches? From similar ones I've looked at I'd guess 6x6mm?

Kamurah
10-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Just one more question: what size are those switches? From similar ones I've looked at I'd guess 6x6mm?

You are correct...it is 6x6mm.

Here is the page of the exact switches I used:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=97

There is also a schematic of the pin layout and dimensions on that page.

Cheers

DACOTA
10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
www.blast-tech.com

Cheers!

Oh thats right I remember that site, but dang those camera parts are expensive! Huh hua, thats funny to think sabers origanated from camera flashes. :lol: Thanks.

Kamurah
10-30-2007, 11:51 AM
www.blast-tech.com

Cheers!

Oh thats right I remember that site, but dang those camera parts are expensive!

Agreed...but no worse than the $10 glass eye thumbscrew sold here at TCSS....or make that $15 if you want the red button thumbscrew.

I guess the cost of making those pieces is high because of the limited numbers produced.

Everything....and I mean EVERYTHING has been expensive with the restoration / conversion of my Graflex......oh well...:D

TheCheeker
10-31-2007, 12:29 AM
wow. i'm shocked i missed this post until now... very nicely done kamurah. i'm impressed.

btw, there's at least one more husker here. :D

chase
10-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Now, is that a MPP clamp or something else? I like the black accents on the saber. Good looking saber.

Kamurah
10-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks!

MPP clamp replica from....:

www.blast-tech.com

several different styles available....:D

DACOTA
10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Now, is that a MPP clamp or something else? I like the black accents on the saber. Good looking saber.

Not to be rude but here on the forums as I have well learned from asking obvious questions, there is a little thing called reading. :wink: This is in his first post.

Features:
Black MPP clamp

Again not to be rude, I'm just letting ya know. :wink: :D

Jetsi
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Nice saber! Those switches are exactly what I am looking for.

The belt is nice too. I just made three, two for me and one for my son, so I know the effort that belt took.

And FWIW, former Lincolnite here as well.

Kamurah
11-02-2007, 05:02 AM
lol....lots of midwestern saber geeks here! I love it!

Yeah, I made a duplicate of the belt for my son. He's four, and now he wears it constantly. When I couldn't find a manufactured pouch small enough for him....I had to make one of those too...haven't done the food capsules yet.

We'll be building a saber for him sometime in the near future....or converting his MR (he has a Yoda FX) to Luxeon so he can "wear it like Daddy"

I'm corrupting him early..hah...

Well, at least HE thinks I'm cool...and I guess that's all that matters :D

***...now if I could just get his Mom to wear the slave Leia outfit*** ;)

Hasid Lafre
11-02-2007, 06:59 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah theres some nebraskians around. I think theres a total of 4 or 5 on here. theres the omahafanforce but I havent been there in ages. thers also some 501st folks here in nebraska too but not many.

chase
11-07-2007, 02:23 PM

Not to be rude but here on the forums as I have well learned from asking obvious questions, there is a little thing called reading. :wink: This is in his first post.

Features:
Black MPP clamp

Again not to be rude, I'm just letting ya know. :wink: :D

Not to be rude, but sometimes I don't read every word thats in every post. Not everyone knows how to read here....obviously. :D

Kamurah
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Now now kids....let's play nice....it's all fun and games until someone uses a focused beam of energy that arcs circumferentially back to its source to burn out an eye.

:D :o :)

DarrynVarson117
11-08-2007, 09:57 AM
I just had to say very nice work. I am wanting a saber myself but I am so overwhelmed by the vast amount of options one can make. Again very nice work.

Kamurah
11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks Darryn, I certainly appreciate it.

I agree....it can be a daunting task to figure out exactly what you want your hilt to look like / function like.....but that is also most of the fun!

My second saber is in construction now....

I am working on a MHS version of the Master Replicas Mara Jade. I think it's going to turn out fairly close to the concept....which really is a testament to how flexible the MHS system can be. I'll be posting pics soon.

Cheers, and best of luck in your construction! :D

B5813
11-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I love the lower handle section of the Mara Jade model. How are you going to attach the metal strips to the MHS handle... rivet... button heads drilled/tapped?

Kamurah
11-21-2007, 06:07 PM
I love the lower handle section of the Mara Jade model. How are you going to attach the metal strips to the MHS handle... rivet... button heads drilled/tapped?

Oh the dilemma over this one.... :D

Well, I think I am gonna do the hard thing and tap screws. I am also gonna order chrome plated screws so I can get my bling on...ha.

I plan to first attach half of the strips via JB weld to the saber body, then drill the holes / tap screws.....and then finally attach the lower pommel end. I plan to leave enough space at the bottom to unscrew the pommel cap for maintenance.

I was originally planning on ordering a 1.5 inner diameter pipe from online metals, and cutting my strips from that since they would be curved....but I don't trust my cutting skills at this point to make the strips even.

So instead, I found some aluminum strips at the hardware store that I think will work fine....they won't have the curved inner section, but hopefully that won't ruin the look.

I will post pics once I get the hilt together (waiting on the double threaded male connector from the shop to come back in stock).

Cheers