PDA

View Full Version : New li-ion battery pack

chase
10-26-2007, 05:22 AM
So yeah...I've got a 5w cyan and I'm thinking that could work pretty well with my setup, eh? I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't wrong before actually buying it.

Hasid Lafre
10-26-2007, 08:26 AM
It would be perfect. just make sure you get the li-ion charger here to make sure everything says safe and dont forget to read the instructions on the charger. they were helpfull.

chase
10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Awesome! i planned on getting the charger too...How would I charge it without it?!

Hasid Lafre
10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Well alot of people think any li-ion charger will work. No you want to use smart chargers and alot of people dont get that.

I just wanted to put that in there to if anyone is searching about that they need to get a smartcharger that was designed right and I love my nimh smart charger.

If I forget to unplug it before I fall asleep it wont explode.

xwingband
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
You will not find a dumb li-ion charger. The dumb ones just send current and check it every once and a while. The "smart" ones work pretty much the same way, but can follow a curve and STOP the current before it's fully charged. It will still gain voltage though after its stopped...

It's like going up a hill though. Dumb charger is a car on cruise control... smart one will know how to brake and stop at the top of the hill. :)

petriomelony
12-03-2007, 07:24 AM
wouldn't you only get like 1 hour of runtime with a lux V on that li-ion pack? it only has 800 mah o_O

xwingband
12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
wouldn't you only get like 1 hour of runtime with a lux V on that li-ion pack? it only has 800 mah o_O

Yeah, given the voltage it probably won't be at full brightness for all of that either.

Ideally a 9.6V NiMH pack would be better. Every bit of voltage lessens the need for current, that's with a driver though. Like I was power a plecter board with my PSU yesterday... it was sending 1.3A to the LED + the speaker, but consumed about 1A of current at around 5V (K2 LED for reference).