PDA

View Full Version : Corbin's new Hybrid MHS/1.25

ArkaiHalon
10-26-2007, 04:18 AM
That sucker looks sweet with the claws.
Looks great overall, but I love the claws on it.

And the second emitter, wit the LOOOOONG taper, is that a custom or a soon to be released?

Angelus Lupus
10-26-2007, 06:37 AM
I like the o-ring/shrink wrap idea for the grip.

supertrogdor
10-26-2007, 07:27 AM
unless my eyes decieve me that looks like a #5 with the bottom chopped off and an o-ring between it and a #7. Perhaps an extra set screw or 2
pretty schnazzy anywho

Hasid Lafre
10-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Corbin that first pic blew me away. I love that idea. How did you get the orings to stay in place when putting the shrink wrap over them and where did you get the shrink wrap?

Maybe that would be an option for the store for the 1.25 sinktube sabers.

ArkaiHalon
10-26-2007, 08:51 AM
i've done a similar grip with heatshrink and poly washers
http://www.k-squared.com/Lightsabers/DSCF0254.JPG

Works great, and hold's a PVC overlay pretty well

Ghostbat
10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Very very shiny!

I was completely unaware that they made shrink tube that large, that is a discovery that has all kinds of interesting applications, Thanks!

Corbin_Das
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys
For those that missed it, here's a quick review of what they're talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/125carbon.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/125taper.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/125claw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/125various.jpg

As mentioned, it uses a 1.25" sinktube and MHS parts, O-rings and shrink tube. The one emitter was indeed a number 7, but the Obi styled emitter isn't a number 5. It's a separately machined piece that locks onto the blade.

Corbin

valeon
11-05-2007, 10:39 PM
That is one great idea, with the heatshrink.

Darth Zecks
11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Dude, Corbin, that is awsome! That shrink wrap worked wonders. Where did you get it? Also that long tapered emitter better be available soon :lol: . Once again Corbin has out done himself.

Corbin_Das
11-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Dude, Corbin, that is awsome! That shrink wrap worked wonders. Where did you get it? Also that long tapered emitter better be available soon :lol: . Once again Corbin has out done himself.

It's nice to be appreciated. :D

I don't know if TCSS will be carrying this type of emitter or not. I doubt it though. This particular one is a separate piece that secures to the blade and comes out with it. I doubt if TCSS will want to carry that. I personally like the feel of it.

Melek Taus
12-09-2007, 09:42 PM
It's nice to be appreciated. :D

I don't know if TCSS will be carrying this type of emitter or not. I doubt it though. This particular one is a separate piece that secures to the blade and comes out with it. I doubt if TCSS will want to carry that. I personally like the feel of it.

Did TCSS do the custom emitter work for you or did you do it? What did it cost to have it done. I'd like to do something similar.

Thanks
Melek

Corbin_Das
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
That's not a CSS creation. It was something I had used for one of Novastar's sabers a year or two back and I got an extra. I'm not sure the name of the guy that machined it. It's been a while.

I can let you know if I get another spare though.

Corbin

Hasid Lafre
12-10-2007, 01:08 AM
I love the saber idea and I plan on doing something similar with my next saber but also tie in some of the byb#3.

Melek Taus
12-10-2007, 09:31 PM
That's not a CSS creation. It was something I had used for one of Novastar's sabers a year or two back and I got an extra. I'm not sure the name of the guy that machined it. It's been a while.

I can let you know if I get another spare though.

Corbin

That's great stuff...thanks. How do you mean it locks the blade? Got pics?

Thanks again.
Melek

Corbin_Das
12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
It doesn't lock the blade. It secures TO the blade via a small allen screw. It's got a 1" hole all the way through it and you slide it onto the blade after the blade is in the saber. You then butt it up against the emitter and tighten the allen screw against the blade to hold the Obi Wan looking emitter in place. I like to put an O-ring in between them.

I hope this helps

Corbin

Melek Taus
12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
It doesn't lock the blade. It secures TO the blade via a small allen screw. It's got a 1" hole all the way through it and you slide it onto the blade after the blade is in the saber. You then butt it up against the emitter and tighten the allen screw against the blade to hold the Obi Wan looking emitter in place. I like to put an O-ring in between them.

I hope this helps

Corbin

So the only thing holding the obi wan emitter to the #7 is the allen screw, which also holds the blad in place on top of an allen screw in the #7 blade holder? Which makes 2 screws holding the blade and one doing double duty?

I appologize for all the questions...but I really like that saber...:O)

Melek

Hasid Lafre
12-11-2007, 02:23 PM
One main blade set screw, then one set screw on the custom bit held to the blade

Corbin_Das
12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, the tiny allen screw doesn't hold the blade in the # 7 emitter. It just holds the Obi Wan looking emitter onto the blade. You still need a blade retention screw in the blade holder.

Corbin

strengthofrage
12-11-2007, 06:52 PM
I like the heat shrink idea Corbin... where did you get heat shrink that fits over 1.25 - 1.5 tubing?

Ghostbat
12-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I like the heat shrink idea Corbin... where did you get heat shrink that fits over 1.25 - 1.5 tubing?

Just google for heat shrink tubing and three or four sources present themselves. I never knew it existed either until Corbin showed us :)

strengthofrage
12-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks Ghost, Google it is.

I have used it quite a bit but the largest I had was around an inch in diameter and it was really thick. Used for transformers & panel wire harness' in automation.

Hasid Lafre
12-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Yeah thats all I ever find, corbin found that shrink wrap locally he told me.

Hasid Lafre
12-12-2007, 07:02 AM
I think I found some that will work here. but its alot o cash for alot of foot.

They got other sizes too but thats the first link I found.

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/heat-shrink-viton.htm?src=froogle&zmam=6023790&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=HSVIT-150-SP

X
12-13-2007, 08:49 PM

I found some at FRYS it's a 1.5" and like 4-5' for $9.99.

Corbin how did you mound the switch in the pommel, I like that.

Lord Maul
12-13-2007, 09:14 PM
He used the MPS insert 2 I believe (the washer one) and put the standard TCSS pushbutton switch through the hole.

Corbin_Das
12-13-2007, 11:57 PM
He used the MPS insert 2 I believe (the washer one) and put the standard TCSS pushbutton switch through the hole.

Actually, that's not what I did. I found a leather washer at the hardware store that's meant to be some sort of plug for a pipe of some kind. It had sides on it too, making it look sort of like this: [ It was pressed all out of a single piece of leather.

I just enlarged the hole a little so the switch could fit through and dyed it black with leather dye. It fits in the bottom of the hilt nicely and the pommel holds it in place.

Corbin