PDA

View Full Version : My new shop is 'finally' finished.

acerocket
10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
It has taken over a year since I made the decision to start my own business, but after the electricians left yesterday, my shop is finally in a working state. Those who know me are familiar with my story, but for those who don't know, here you go in a condensed form:

While my wife was expecting our first child, I picked up a manual 3-in-1 machine and started having fun with it - to my suprise, I really enjoyed working with it. After my son was born 3 years ago, my wife and I decided we would need to move out of california to raise our son the way we wanted to and live the life we wanted for our family. In a nutshell, Southern California has become an increasing hostile environment to the average American worker. We finally settled on moving to Idaho and started getting things in order about a year ago. I traded the manual mill for an older CNC machine and began collecting other equipment. We finally made the move this August and I have spent the last few months getting everything ready. I also picked up a CNC lathe along the way to round out my capabilities.

I know, enough talk, how about some pictures?

http://www.orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/100_143402.JPG
My shop.

http://www.orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/100_143502.JPG
My 4 axis CNC mill.

http://www.orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/100_143602.JPG
My CNC lathe.

http://www.orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/100_1437.JPG
My 'office' and workbench.

http://www.orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/100_1443.JPG
My commute to work. Yes, that is my kitchen.

Please, don't use this thread to ask for work. There are other ways to reach me if you would like to. Besides, not having my equipment for a few months means I am really back-logged at the moment. I just wanted to show off what has consumed a large part of my life the past few months and thought some of you might be interested.

Strydur
10-25-2007, 11:15 AM
You didnt take the time to paint first?? :D Looks like you are setup and ready to roll.

ArkaiHalon
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
congratulations on taking the steps to make your dreams come true.

DACOTA
10-25-2007, 11:31 AM
I cant wait till I do. Very nice and i'm sure you had a huge sigh of relief. :wink: :D

acerocket
10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
You didnt take the time to paint first?? :D Looks like you are setup and ready to roll.

With all the troubles I had drywalling and taping my son's playroom, I am not even going there in the garage. I got insulation in the walls and drywall up and that's good enough for now. After those machines make me some money, I will see about maybe doing some pine planking to give it a more finished look.

Well I am ready to roll on the mill since I have been using it for a while. The lathe on the other hand - I am still reading through the 4" thick stack of manuals that came with it now that I can see what is on the CRT.

supertrogdor
10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Looking pretty good Ace, Once you get some of your backlogged work out of the way I will have to come drool over your machinery... i mean work with you on some custom ideas i have had brewing for a while
Congrats on getting set up!

xwingband
10-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Looks too pretty... dirty it up a little!

Someday I'll have my garage... I like woodwork too so I'll probably need even more space! Heck In my dream house I have a entire "man floor"... wood and metal working tools, studio (for music and drawing), and my library (my small 10'x10' room back home has one wall 2' deep with books).

vortextwist
10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
very nice man! I envy you.

Tom Starkiller
10-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Awesome:

So, The mini Custom Saber Shop? :lol:

Hope the buisness works for you. :)

Novastar
10-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Great to hear you've popped up on the other side of the country in good form!

Obviously, I'll be contacting you in the future regarding SOME kind of custom-machining project... but I don't know what as of yet...

I can attest to the fact that living in (for example) San Jose/San Francisco is extremely difficult. Living expenses are completely insane, and the wages... pretty much identical if you live in (let's say) Idaho and do the same style job. So, my living in San Jose just KILLS my income (as paltry as it is being a small business of one), and what else can I do when I teach fencing classes.

Anyhow... you're in our thoughts--and can't wait to hear more from you regarding tri-lux, machining and all that jazz!

Lord Maul
10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Looks great Ace!
I'm glad that your move went so well, but I agree with X, dirty up those machines a bit :P

Hasid Lafre
10-25-2007, 03:45 PM
So ah do you need a security guard at all? My last rent-a-cop job I had I got $6.75 an hour. Iam willing to work for 6$ an hour.

Looking sweet.

vortextwist
10-25-2007, 05:05 PM
So ah do you need a security guard at all? My last rent-a-cop job I had I got $6.75 an hour. Iam willing to work for 6$ an hour.

Looking sweet.
I'll do it for a custom saber :D 8)

valeon
10-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Congratulations on getting everything together. I would love to have equipment like that. I wish you and your family the best.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
The new shop looks great, Ace!

Do-Clo
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
The shop looks great Ace :wink:

Dregan
10-26-2007, 06:51 AM
Very nice Ace. I am officially somewhat jealous.

Hasid Lafre
10-26-2007, 08:19 AM

Looking sweet.
I'll do it for a custom saber :D 8)

I'll do it for a customsaber and I will help :P

Barmic Rin
10-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Nice ace!

Vazan Maceu
10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Seems like a nice place to give shape to your designs and ideas, congratulations Ace :)

Darth Zecks
10-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Looks like a dream making shop to me, congrats! I live in central cal and me and my wife were thinking of moving out there with our 2 sons, some were around Idaho Falls maybe. Even living in central california I loath this place, its becoming a cesspit.

Treadingwolf
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
WOW! soo soo jealous hehe. Looks great, bet you gonna have a load of fun in there :)

Syphon
10-28-2007, 08:18 AM
:wink: I really like that CNC, now all you have to do is get you a 5 axis and youll be in heaven, hehehe

Jetsi
11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Very awesome setup.

I am looking at getting into being self-employed myself, and I know there is a certain bit of trepidation and fear involved in that, so I assume you had the same.

Best of luck.

Novastar
11-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Jetsi...

It's WORTH it. Believe me.

I mean--my small business is just that. Small. BUT... there are so many things I've been able to accomplish that I simply NEVER could if I was always working for "the man". heheh

BOP(s) would be included on that list.