PDA

View Full Version : In regards of the copper (brass?) heatsinks

Dregan
10-25-2007, 06:44 AM
referenced here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3702

In order to test what metal it is whithout smelting it, I'd get a piece of known copper, and a piece of known brass and test the impedance with a multimeter across the same distance on the two. There should be a difference, as I believe (and I could be wrong) that brass is less conductive than copper. Repeat this test on your mystery metal, and you'd have a good idea of what you're working with.

If you want to sacrifice a piece, find out what the melting temp is. Not everyone has a forge, though. You could also grind part of one away to see if it's a uniform color through the metal, or some kind of oxidizing on the surface. I wouldn't trust the last one personally, but some people I know swear by it.

Strydur
10-25-2007, 08:51 AM
It is a copper alloy I know that much. For our application it seemed to me to work about the same as the aluminum.

Would I rather have real copper? Yes.
Am I going to have them remade in real copper? Yes.
Do I have anything else to offer until then? Nope.

ArkaiHalon
10-25-2007, 08:54 AM
as long as it works, I'm satisfied.

Everything I've gotten from the shop has been top notch.

xwingband
10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Which heatsinks are we talking about anyway... All seem in stock so I wasn't sure which. If it were the custom one I think that'd be neat to "reveal" it somehow.

Are we looking at an eventual copper switch over for all heatsinks?

Strydur
10-25-2007, 02:53 PM
The basic MHS one. If I can get them done at a decent price yes I would like to go copper. Is it really needed?? who knows..but it sure cant hurt.