PDA

View Full Version : Button Hole

Darth Tollo
10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what size drill bit I need to make a hole for the button. My guess was 1/2” but I wanted to check.

Novastar
10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Place the bit close to your switch and look at it. You should be able to tell.

If it doesn't fit the first time--drill it a bit bigger, etc. etc.

I apologize for not answering directly, but... this isn't really that difficult to glean with a little bit of work. In fact--it's best NOT to start with too big of a bit--try smaller ones for pilot holes, then work up to higher bits until you get what is desired...

...you can't ADD metal back if you over-drill! :) So how can you miss if you "undercut" it until it's just right...

Lord Maul
10-23-2007, 02:41 PM
You need a 3/8 inch drill bit I believe.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
If you a have a pushbutton switch from the store, Lord Maul is correct, it is 3/8"

valeon
10-24-2007, 02:58 AM
3/8"?? I never knew that...I've just been drilling through with a dremel, and progressively trimming it till the switch fits....it's been working for me so far haha.

Darth Tollo
10-24-2007, 04:36 AM
Thanks Guys. I only have small drill bits and have been rounding out the hole until it fits. The hole comes out kinda oval so I decided I need a bit. Too broke for a set. Glad I didn't go with my guess :oops:

Ghostbat
10-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks Guys. I only have small drill bits and have been rounding out the hole until it fits. The hole comes out kinda oval so I decided I need a bit. Too broke for a set. Glad I didn't go with my guess :oops:

They make these wonderful bits called step bits (or something similar) they are basically a tiered cone looking thing with progressively larger sizes, you just push it until it cuts to the right size and you are done.

It doesn't work for everything, but it works great on aluminum!

lessee... http://www.tradetufftools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=217_336&gclid=CNaVgr-HqI8CFSY7hgodS0ceKQ

they can be gotten for cheaper than that (harbor freight sells cheapies but they don't last as long).

LAN-ED-TUL
10-24-2007, 06:48 PM
yep, got me one of those puppies last year for drilling my vader box holes for the green lights.

suckers a lifesaver. mine goes up to 7/8 inch.

Darth Tollo
10-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Awesome

traydemark
10-27-2007, 08:03 PM
For those with a drill press, what kind of clamping methods do you guys use? I'm trying to drill a 5/8" hole for a button cap I made but the hole doesn't come out very well. I'm pretty sure it's because of the way I'm clamping it. I'm trying to clamp a section of a sink tube and it bends...since it's hollow. This makes the hole oval and I was actually afraid it was going to ruin or tear the pipe section because the sides of the bit couldn't reach the pipe section yet.

Lord Maul
10-27-2007, 08:05 PM
My vise has a curved part in it, perfect for grabbing tubes. I also put one of those industrial paper towels on the vise to keep it from scratching the metal.

LAN-ED-TUL
10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
along with covering the outside of tube to prevent scrathes, i have in the past, also slid in a piece of pvc pipe that fit snugly inside, and that keeps the tube from collapsing in.

traydemark
10-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Hmm... I'm trying to find a way to clamp the pipe so that it doesn't bend like this ()

When I drill a large hole into that, I get an oval because the sides get an extra bit of drilling away. Also, the sides of the drill bit take longer to make contact with the pipe making it appear as if it could tear.