PDA

View Full Version : my first led graflex conversion

orko
10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
so here it is wed ill get all the parts i ordered from tcss, and ill begin working on converting my 3cell flash tube into a saber.... i was also able to secure a ultra board driver..... so no what im looking to do is make my own custom hilt using the graflex tube, i am open to all suggestions for assembly, wiring, battery type and holder to use and any design tips or suggestions i'm also gonna ad a charge port and PLi, thanks guys

xwingband
10-22-2007, 07:18 PM
First... I'd figure out where you'll put the PLI and charge port. That will probably influence where all the guts will go more than anything else.

For the holder... duh, TCSS one. For a chassis to hold it all, go for a 1.25" plastic sinktube. The belled end almost fits perfectly inside the graflex. Add a layer of tape and it's really good. Cut it to what you'll need and it will work great as long as absolute prettiness inside isn't needed (fancy cutaway looks and the like).

orko
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
ok well the pli is going on the clamp, and the charge port is going on the hilt right below the clamp (aka activation box) but what are you talking about sink tubes for ??? i definitly ordered the coversion kit for the greaflex from tcss, are tring to tell me after i take the guts outta the flash tube the led heatsing and tube holder dont just screw in? i also got the lens holder and 5* lens with a luxonIII and a corbin blade... if this topic has been discussed alread and you know where it is can ya shoot me the link.... what would be a good solid mounting setup for the speaker, ultraboard and battery

Jedi-Loreen
10-22-2007, 07:37 PM
The plastic sink tube for the "chassis" would be for the battery pack and the Ultraboard to mount in, then just slide it all into the bottom of the flash tube. I believe that's what he's talking about.

You don't need it, but it can make things easier to install.

xwingband
10-22-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm telling you that a PLASTIC 1.25" makes a great chassis to hold all the internals.

WHY?
-The belled section fits near perfectly INSIDE a graflex tube. one layer of tape makes it SNUG.
-Any hardware store worth their salt will have washers too. A 1 1/4" washer fits inside belled end and makes a great resonation chamber and something to mount a speaker too.
-Easy to cut out for ports wires, yet sturdy
-Fits a 2AA really well so the 4AA rechargeable pack fits wonderfully in it.

Also the PLI will NOT fit in the graflex clamp. If you don't plan on a graflex clamp then it could work but otherwise the PLI is too thick to fit in a graflex clamp.

orko
10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
gotchya, which 1.25" pvc are ya talking about the ridgid type or the ribbed flexable extention tube ?

xwingband
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
The rigid white plastic sinktubes. Not CPVC... I believe that's the beige looking kind.

I'm literally just redoing my graflex this way today. I just got the urge to slap in a rechargeable setup and I had it laying in my tool chest. Works awesome and I think I'll finally be able to leave the graflex alone. I wanted to change the speaker and font (Plecter board) anyway so it worked out.