PDA

View Full Version : lookin into better speakers

pipster79
10-20-2007, 07:39 AM
so i got a crystal focus v1.2, tried it out and found i couldnt go too loud without distortion on tims speaker, i evntualy fried the speaker lol (got another 2 on order from tim now) anyways i got looking around on the net and found a distributer for micro speakers. found some on there site that r the same size of tims exactly, but there rated for 1.5w and have a max of 2w. if i manage to get some im gonna put a video on youtube, also i will send tim one if he wants for the price i paid and shipping so he can c if he wants to sell them.

xwingband
10-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Did you have the older ones or the newer premium speakers?

Tim's newer premium speakers are rated up to 1W. I've used them on all versions of Erv's board and it's just fine... you won't be getting anything better by higher rated speakers.

pipster79
10-20-2007, 08:01 AM
yes it was the new one, i only got it 3 days ago, anyways 1.5 to 2w is better then 1w dont u think xwing. more watts is always better, louder, cleaner. if uve ever taken any electrical courses u would know this
like sub woofers in a car, a 12inch sub at 200watts isnt gonna b as loud and clean as a 12inch 500watt

pipster79
10-20-2007, 08:03 AM
and like ive said i already found them, they have 29mm ones as well that r 2.2w

xwingband
10-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Maybe a bit cleaner, but were already at the point where we'd be splitting hairs to tell the difference. Proper resonance is going make more of an impact than the wattage rating.

I gone through a bunch of plecter boards and never blown ANY speaker much less the premium ones he has now. So... yes, cleaner. Mayhaps...

Louder, nope. You're the first I've heard of "blowing" one so in my experience it was no fault of the speakers power that it did.

pipster79
10-20-2007, 09:35 AM
i wasnt saying it bluew b/c of the board, i only mentioned hat it wasnt loud enough. and yes resonance can make it a bit louder but a speakre rated higher will b able turn the volume up higher without distortion, and the speakr blew b/c of a termilal in saber came apart and shorted out
anyways the point is with a higherwatt speaker can turn the volume up and get louder without distortion

pipster79
10-20-2007, 09:38 AM
with tims speaker i find i can only turn the volume on the board up like a third of the way without distortion

xwingband
10-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I guess you're more picky then because lots of people have used the premium speaker and haven't complained about any of that. I certainly don't have a problem with it... if anything my neighbors would like it if I turned the sound down on them.

pipster79
10-20-2007, 10:13 AM
ok xwing im looking into a product to better the whole saber cumunity not just me or u, stop thinking u know everything and stop thinking that everyone is the same as u, there r many that would like louder, cleaner sound, so stop trying to shoot people down trying to bring a good product to the cummunity.
if the board is capable of going louder, y not find a speakr that can handle it without dstortion right?? makes sense doent it, and like i said resonace can do so much, if u have space for it, and it can only do so much. im limited on space, and many other people r as well, and with the board only turned up a third of the way its only as loud as a mr mayb a touch quieter even, so if we can get a speaker to perorm better under these circumstanes makes sense doesnt it

xwingband
10-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Calm down... jeez...

I'm just saying I certainly have been able to turn my boards up more than a third and they sound louder than an MR even without resonance. I just don't see the need... because I've never encountered it not being powerful enough.

Since you like real world analogies. Yes, I can look for crazy gold plated cables that have some crazy high quality for your home theater system... but really who's going to notice if you didn't use them.

It's like the difference between... 1A and 1.5A on a K2. I'd honesty have to compare them side by side to notice. Volume is that way too... with such a small speaker I doubt anyone is going to walk up to your saber and say "Ohh... you're using a 1W speaker?".

Maliki Skywalker
10-20-2007, 10:38 AM
ok xwing im looking into a product to better the whole saber cumunity not just me or u, stop thinking u know everything and stop thinking that everyone is the same as u, there r many that would like louder, cleaner sound, so stop trying to shoot people down trying to bring a good product to the cummunity.
if the board is capable of going louder, y not find a speakr that can handle it without dstortion right?? makes sense doent it, and like i said resonace can do so much, if u have space for it, and it can only do so much. im limited on space, and many other people r as well, and with the board only turned up a third of the way its only as loud as a mr mayb a touch quieter even, so if we can get a speaker to perorm better under these circumstanes makes sense doesnt it

Some how i don't think Xwing "thinks he knows everything" but hes been in the saber business for a good time to know what hes doing, hes just pointing you in the right direction but it seems you know what your doing as you are ignoring a person who knows what they are doing, and it wont hurt to read up a little then you might know what people are going on about for instance READ THE INFO HES GIVING YOU!!! :evil:

pipster79
10-20-2007, 12:22 PM
well xwing if ur able to turn the volume up all the way mayb i got a bum speaker from tim in the first place cus anything over a third volume would distort horribly, and in my 15 years of working with speakers and sound systems if something distorts u need a higher quality speaker(or just had a bad speaker) but still this topis sole pourpose was to inform people that i was working on getting better speakers to better everyone, so those who want crisper sounds, able to go louder and less distortion. but i can c that some people r to set in there ways, and stuck on thinking just because tim has those speakers that they r the best out there and dont even want to think about the posibility of anything else being better. no offense to tim of course i totaly suport him and the saber shop but i had a hard time finding speaker suppliers as im sure tim did as well which is y he has those ones, but if these ones im lookin into arent to costly and work well mayb he might want to sell them on here instead of the ones he has
the speakers look exactly the same as tims, have the exact same dimensions but r rated higher so there obviously better and dont we all want better when we can? im petty sure we do other wise we would all just settle for the mr sabers, and cheap dim leds, we wouldnt have ultrasound and crystal focus, so take the topic as it was meant, to inform people of better speakers

pipster79
10-20-2007, 12:28 PM
and if u dont think u would notice a difference from a 1w to 1.5 y dont u take a .5 and put that in ur sabr and hear how much quieter it is, u would notice a differene.
ive tried .25s .5s .75s and tims 1w speaker, and noticed big differences, even off a stock mr board

neophyl
10-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Instead of the two of you arguing why dont you post a link to the speakers you have found.

We are all here to help each other right ?

killphil
10-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see more about these, myself.

With the small applications we use, any improvement, no matter how small, would make a dif IMO.

xwingband
10-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm not arguing... I don't see the need. Perhaps he did get a bum speaker because mine all are fine turned up. I usually go maybe 75% because they're painfully loud in most situations.

Post a link. Just remember... there are very few using Plecter boards and with the PVC speaker holders Tim is invested in the 1W ones he's got in stock. It may not be realistic to stock them...

An without knowing the brand/maker you may just have gotten another model of the same one he is using. I noticed you said 29mm... the ones he has are 28mm.

pipster79
10-21-2007, 07:55 AM
xwing u really need to learn to read properly, i didnt say these were 29 i said they also have 29 i said these ones r 28

vortextwist
10-21-2007, 08:20 AM
your splitting hairs here. I who care what they have. post some links so we all can see what they have. quit being a richard, I know we all can get heated about stuff but is there's a better speaker lets see and hear it.

pipster79
10-21-2007, 08:28 AM
http://www.aatc.tw/manufacturer/speaker/round/adk-2808ab-14.htm

vortextwist
10-21-2007, 08:30 AM
now that's what I'm talking about :D :lol:

pipster79
10-21-2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.aatc.tw/manufacturer/speaker/round/ak-2808bb-9.htm
could even use these 2w ones if u cut the sides off

vortextwist
10-21-2007, 08:36 AM
ya looks like it might be a bit sturdier also.

I was measuring my mhs and you could almost put in a 33 mm one, as long as it not any thicker then the mhs heatsinks.

these are 32mm
http://www.aatc.tw/manufacturer/speaker/round/ak-3208bc-0.htm

http://www.aatc.tw/manufacturer/speaker/round/ak-3204bc-2.htm

pipster79
10-21-2007, 08:44 AM
ya there pretty good too, but unfortunatly for me i gotta stick with no bigger then 29 or 30, but would b good for tim to sell those sises 2 i know alot of people r using those sizes.
i should b receiving a email back tomorrow bout a price on the 1.5w 28mm ones

pipster79
10-21-2007, 08:46 AM
think ill c how much the 2w ones are as well, they would b pretty good, little bit of cutin to get those screw mounts off but no big deal

vortextwist
10-21-2007, 08:47 AM
yup that's what customizing is. :D just fyi. don't forget the edit button on the upper right :o

pipster79
10-21-2007, 08:49 AM
meh just as easy to post again lol

Novastar
10-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Good find, Pip...

Only question is how to get such speakers in ones, twos, fives, etc.

The speaker that TCSS, Ultra, and Erv carry was one that I found via some research, was then able to "unite" them on, and they made a large purchase to be split among the three of them.

xwingband
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
xwing u really need to learn to read properly, i didnt say these were 29 i said they also have 29 i said these ones r 28

And if you wrote in proper english I wouldn't make that mistake. Continue to insult me and I won't tolerate it. If you can't deal with others that don't see it the same way then you don't belong on a forum.

AGAIN I've turned my boards up before and they work just fine. I have noticed the boards work better with higher voltages because their amp circuits are getting more power... on 4.8V, no I don't turn them all the way up because they do sound garbled.

pipster79
10-21-2007, 03:34 PM
thanks novastar, hopefuly the price of these isnt too bad. i would bet that if tcss and erv and ultra were to purchase them in bulk they would b cheaper benifiting us all :)
and xwing im running off 4.8v

pipster79
10-21-2007, 09:14 PM
alright the company has got back to me there sendig me 5 free samples of the 1.5w ones and 5 of the 2w ones with the screw mounts (well they wont b right away, there out of stock on the 2w right now) so the 1.5 ill be getting shortly :)

Novastar
10-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi pipster... as you may know, Tim (Strydur), Ultra and Erv have all purchased in bulk the 28mm speakers that they all carry at present.

My guess is... for NOW they won't have any need for other more "premium" speakers--especially the larger sizes (36mm, 45mm), as they won't really fit in MHS-style sabers, nor MR conversions--as far as I know.

I have done some tricky things to get the 36mm and 45mm ones I have to work in the Flange III sabers.

vortextwist
10-22-2007, 02:40 PM
very cool pipster.
I mesured my mhs and I think as long as the lip isn't thicker then the heatsinks I can get a 33 or 32 mm speaker in there.

pipster79
10-22-2007, 03:33 PM
so far i got 28s comming to try and im working on some of the larger sizes. very anxious to find out how they work :)

pipster79
10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
found this neat little thing thru a guy on ebay, resonace chambers for 28mm speakers :) im buying 2 to try myself. they have 2 different hights included. check it out

http://dcchobbysupply.com/zcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=135