PDA

View Full Version : Of blade retention screws and allen wrenches...

Dregan
10-19-2007, 06:16 AM
So, for a few sabers I've built, I used little allen screws to hold the blade in place, rather than thumbscrews. It's a little sleeker looking, and there are times that that is the look I want. the downside is that you need to carry around an allen wrench if you wanted to remove the blade, which can be a bit of a PITA, and it gets lost. The screw can also disappear, leaving you with no way to resecure the blade.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to bore a hole in the pommel, longways for an allen wrench to hide there. Then I'll cut a small channel across the pommel for the 'L' portion to rest in. It will (hopefully) be flush with the rest of the pommel. This will also have the added benefit of locking the pommel in place, not that it's really necessary, considering how well Tim makes these, but it's a benefit nonethless.

I'll store the set screw by drilling a tapping a few holes somewhere decorative, and I might even keep a few extra screws, just in case.

I'll probably do this on the wife's purple saber, so I'll post pics when I get it put together.

ArkaiHalon
10-19-2007, 06:46 AM
sounds like a great concept

valeon
10-19-2007, 08:29 AM
That would be really cool. Nice way of managing your tools as well hehe.

xwingband
10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Jedi have belt pouches... what are they for??? Allen wrenches!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P

Jay-gon Jinn
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Agreed with, X! Iused to carry spare batteries and the Allen wrench in my pouches before I started using thumb screws.

ArkaiHalon
10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Still think it's a cool idea. I'd even figure out a way to put a small magnet in to the channel to help hold it in place.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-19-2007, 09:00 AM
yup, on hilt storage for those who don't wear costumes is a good idea. I could probably stuff one inside my hardware sabers in the battery compartment, there's so much room in them.

ArkaiHalon
10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
no joke. one of my hardwares has so much room, I thougt about putting a field survival kit in it. Rambo meets SW

37H4N
10-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a good idea.
I need to get some more pouches for my costume to hold stuff like that. My latest MHS uses 8/32 set screws, but its not to much trouble to put the allen wrench in my pocket. For me anyhow, unless I'm doing alot of running and falling down. :?

DACOTA
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Man another great concept, but I also must agree with x here, I'm going to get a jedi pouch. :wink:

Madcow
10-20-2007, 11:52 AM
I had the same idea - but at the end of the day -I'm with X... belt pouch for my allen wrench set.

Although... if you have a switch box design... like a graflex clamp - it would be a sweet addition. Just slide in an allen wrench - like the tweezers on a swiss army knife.

MC

ArkaiHalon
10-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Jedi Boy Scout motto says be prepared.

sure can't hurt.