PDA

View Full Version : It just doesn't fit...HELP!!!

Kamurah
10-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Ok...here is the situation:

I have a mhs blade holder attached directly to a MHS center section. Behind that I have a 2" section connected to the center section via the connector piece. Pommel follows the 2". So it goes: Blade holder -> Center section with switch hole-> Connector -> 2" section -> Pommel.

I have a Plecter board and was wanting to use the 4 AA holder (inline 2+2); HOWEVER... there is not enough room in the center section for the battery holder with the plecter board on top (the SD card portion has to hang off the back because the MHS diameter is not enough to accomodate the entire card sitting on top of the holder).

With the SD section protruding out back, there is not enough room for the LED heatsink, battery, and card on top before the connector section.

So now I am stuck using AAA batteries (square 4)..... boo.

Hope this makes sense......Any suggestions?

Maliki Skywalker
10-18-2007, 09:28 AM
You could always get another connector and then another section, say a 3" section?? but other then that, thats a pain. :?

Novastar
10-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Li-Ion cells. A single Li-Ion can offer 3.7v of power... and a lot of runtime if you get an 18650 cell (2400mah or so).

For any who read this thread... perhaps NOW they understand how hard it was for me to fit all the "guts" of the Flange III (v2.61 Plecter) saber... in a 10.5" hilt!

I used two 18650 cells in the Flange sabers...

Kamurah
10-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks Nova!

I had looked at Li ion cells, but had so little experience with them was unsure of the useablility in this application. Do you use solder plates to connect the cells together? Sorry for the noob question.

(wonder why Tim doesn't sell Li ion configs in the store?)

Installed with the AAA's as a temp fix (probably until after Halloween :) ) but will likely re-work the hilt in the future. It's a design based off of Erv's Oddy Two, but with a few changes to the external setup:

(no LED's under the bubble plate, used a 10/32 Graflex glass eye as the blade retention screw, MPP clamp is Black, Covertec button is silver, and the recharge port is inside the pommel vice having external access). LED is a cyan 3w run @ 1a.

will be posting pics this weekend.

as an aside: Erv's board totally ROCKS! What a great piece of work.....he just needs to make MORE of them :D

Novastar
10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi Kamuruh, and welcome...

I would highly, highly recommend buying Li-Ions in the format that you want... pre-made, pre-connected. Reason is... connecting cells on your own comes with possible future problems if you are not an expert on measuring cell density, internal resistance, etc.

In other words--buy a pack the way you want it, pre-wired with PCB, and pre-wired if multiple cells. :)

I think Tim does not stock the Li-Ion cells for several reasons, possibly including:

1. They are "expensive", however when you consider that they are rechargeable, have a PCB, very nice energy density (long run time), and carry the PUNCH of 3.7v per cell... you'd spend as much in Alkalines over a year.

2. As mentioned above--you really should not "daisy chain" them together on your own. Mixing batteries of greatly differing internals (of ANY battery technology) can yield bizarre or even dangerous results... in due time. Chances are it wouldn't cause problems for a long time, but... why not do it RIGHT.

3. They obviously require a recharger, which costs additional cash-ola. For the basic saber-maker... alkalines are the way to go.

4. He may not yet have a good source where he could yield a workable profit for his time, labor, amount he'd have to buy to stock TCSS, etc. etc.

Granted, for certain applications (aka BOP I, II, III, etc.)... they are time AND money savers. Also, as mentioned--they can be SPACE savers... AND wiring savers. No need to wire up 3 or 4 or 5 cells... just use one and be done with it!

Anyhow... hope that helps.

Madcow
10-20-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with Novasar,
BUT...
I have not advanced to Li-ions yet - I'm really happy so far with a NIMH pack of 4 AA's like the ones TCSS sells. They work great with my plecter board, are safer than Li-ions, have good run times... AND - the Plecter board fits fully on top of the battery pack inside a 1 1/4" tube (Inside diameter). I think the inside of your MHS is 1 1/4" right?

Also - to save space - here's my trade secret (I will post a thread today)

Computer wire ribbon. If used carefully - it saves so much space and looks cleaner.

MC

Novastar
10-21-2007, 11:43 AM
There is absolutely nothing that is "unsafe" about Li-Ions. It's simply a myth that is perpetuated.

Any battery cell can be abused and therefore--destroyed. If you treat a Li-Ion cell the way it is supposed to be treated, and make sure you use a PCB protection circuit... you will not have problems with sabers battery-wise.

I can say this with great validity as... I must have a dozen Li-Ions sabers at this point. Zero problems... at least BATTERY-WISE. :)