PDA

View Full Version : Saber tone control?

dbraxton9
01-30-2006, 07:19 PM
i bet a simple passive tone control like on an electric guitar would make the MR sound much better by taking some of the raspiness out. i notice my anakin sounds better as i point the speaker into various cups, tubes, etc that would make a resonating cavity, but it sounds best with just my hand cupped over it. this reduces the high frequencies a bit and i think doing this electronically would be just as good. does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

bremenx
02-12-2006, 05:36 PM
That's a really neat idea, Braxton. But not as easy to implement as you might think. I don't know how much you know about guitars, but as a guitarist (for about 7 years now), you have to know your equipment. The reason there's a sound difference between switch positions on a guitar is that it's switching between pickups. The "treble" switch position uses the pickup closest to the bridge, and has a 'screamier' (read as more whiny and high-pitched) sound. The "rhythm" position uses the pickup closest to the neck, and has a more mellow, smooth sound.

In order to convert this into a saber-sound, we would need to install two different speakers with different intonations. That's the catch...as you know, most small speakers that can fit in our hilts naturally have that high-pitched, whiny tone to them.

I think if/when I put the sound module into mine, I'm taking your advice on the resonating chamber idea. If we could incorporate a small, partially closed chamber inside the hilt to provide that "cup" over the speaker, that could help the sound quality a lot. Maybe put a rubber spacer in between it and the hilt to keep it from rattling, and help to provide some damping.

Maybe you already knew the guitar stuff, but in case, well, there you go.

Bremenx
The Last Scion of Rock

http://www.swoopshirts.spreadshirt.com
http://www.purevolume.com/vanceswope

Bremenx
The Last Scion of Rock

dbraxton9
02-12-2006, 06:04 PM
hmm, that's not quite what I meant.
I had a pot-and-cap treble bleed in mind. you know, the knob on the guitar? i bet you could wire one into the speaker lead wires.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"