PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a PolyC LED Blade

Darth Zecks
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I looked through the LED blade forum and didn't find this. 1) Are the PolyC blades the same length all the way up or are they tapered? 2) Will it hurt the blade at all if you cut it to the desired length?

xwingband
10-17-2007, 02:41 PM
We're are all obviously not using the same lengths... So yes, there is nothing wrong at all with cutting them. It's just a tube... no taper.

Darth Zecks
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks Xwing.

yattle
11-13-2007, 03:13 PM
what tool are you going to use to cut your blade?

Lord Maul
11-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Copper pipe cutter is what I use. Tim uses a chop saw with a plastic cutting blade. The old school handymen have been know to just use a hacksaw :twisted:

Novastar
11-13-2007, 03:38 PM
You can use any number of tools, but a tube cutter is usually available at any hardware store. Actually Tim used to sell some, and I bought one. Works well for me.

But--you can use a hacksaw if you like... not the easiest probably, but... could work. Naturally access to an electric skillsaw or possibly a bandsaw could work too, but... then you have the added "bonuses" of making sure the blade won't be harmed and the safety concerns that you must take into consideration.

So in my thoughts--best tool is the small "C-clamp" lookin' tool with a tiny circular blade and the pressure clamp. Spin the tool around, it cuts into it... tighten, cut more... tighten, cut more.... done. No safety goggles needed, no $10,000 tools needed.

Treadingwolf
11-14-2007, 04:43 AM
Tubing cutter seems to work the best, at least if you dont have access to a chopsaw. I tried the hacksaw, too much work to keep it a flush cut and then filing off the rough edges after ward :x .

Kamurah
11-14-2007, 05:26 AM
I use the tool that every saber-builder should have in their workshop: a Dremel.

Cutoff wheel....cuts then can round out the rough edge. Easy-peasy. :)

Vazan Maceu
11-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I think the Dremel is a must for things like this. Lots of useful attachments, too...

Treadingwolf
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
True about the dremel, but i stand by my tubing cutter. Straight even cut everytime, and no edges to clean up. :D

Darth Zecks
11-14-2007, 09:31 PM
You got it Vazan, I will be using the best tool ever invented, a Dremel. I just wanted to know if these things would melt or crack or if it would screw it up somehow. So it will be ok as long as I get the cut strait?

LAN-ED-TUL
11-14-2007, 11:33 PM
i use a mitre box and a mitre saw. perfect straight ege cuts every time.

Vazan Maceu
11-15-2007, 06:15 AM
True about the dremel, but i stand by my tubing cutter. Straight even cut everytime, and no edges to clean up. :D

I´m sure the tube cutter does a better job, but I have easier acces to a Dremel than to a tube cutter, as strange as it may sound :lol:

And yes, a mitre box and saw works most of the time, too :wink:

Ghostbat
11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Dremels (or motor tools in general) are the ultimate replacement for all the other tools you don't have :)

A tube cutter or a chop saw would likely be best for this, after that a mitre box, and after that a hacksaw. Those will give the straightest cuts. A dremel will work, but will be much trickier to get around a tube in a nice straight line, if you want a straight and smooth end you may have to do some serious sanding to even it out.

chase
11-16-2007, 02:07 PM
I like using a band-saw. I think its the fastest way to cut it. I've used my dremel but it kind of melts it if you use too high of a rpm.