PDA

View Full Version : vader emiter

marty123
01-30-2006, 05:10 PM
does anyone know where to find a darth vader black emiter in abs plastic? any links would help please, thanx much

xwingband
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
http://www.blast-tech.com/home.asp

^^^only place I'd recommend. It's not ABS, but resin is much harder. There are other's but this places is first class.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

marty123
01-30-2006, 05:27 PM
thanx, you have been so much of a help, i will post pics when i finnish my saber, and as soon as i learn how to post them.[:D]

scaarmor
01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
You could always make one out of ABS. And while the ones at Blast-tech are decently priced, I would trust ABS over resin everyday of the week- even the 6th tues. and the 33rd of the month[:D]! Trust me, if there is one thing that I know about, as pertained to what kind of a hit it can take its ABS. Resin is harder, thats why it shatters... I build custom armor out of ABS for a living- mind you, armor that is to be used in the SCA and gets beat to sh*# every week by the best anyone can throw at it. It WILL hold up.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Protein5000
01-31-2006, 03:53 AM
What is ABS?

scaarmor
01-31-2006, 05:12 AM
All you ever wanted to know about ABS and more[:D].

ABS

Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene

ABS is an easily machined, tough, low cost rigid thermoplastic material with high impact strength, ideal for turning, drilling, milling, sawing, die-cutting, shearing .

General Applications:
* Machine parts
* Prototypes
* Tote bins and trays
* Automotive parts
* Business machine housing and parts
* Aircraft interior trim
* Industrial enclosures

It has good chemical and stress cracking resistance to inorganic salt solutions, alkalis, acids, and some oils. ABS has excellent abrasion resistance; electrical properties, moisture and creep resistance .

PROPERTIES A.S.T.M Test Method ABS
Specific Gravity D792 1.02
Water Absorption Method A D570 0.3
Tensile strength at yield, 1000 psi D638 6.0
Elongation at yield, % D638 2.5
Elastic Modulus in Tension, 10~5 psi D638 4.0
Flexural Strength at yield, 1000 psi D790 12.9
Elastic modulus in flexure, 10~5 psi D790 4.4
Compressive strength at yield, 100psi D695 11.2
Elastic modulus in compression, 10~5, psi D695 2.3
Rockwell Hardness (Method A) D785 R96
Izod impact strength, ft-lb/in. notch 1/8 in. speciman D256 10.0
Deform. under load(2000 psi; 122f), % D621 0.15
Deflection temperature, F at 66 psi fiber stress D648 180
Max recommended service Temp., F intermittent use -=- 220
Max recommended service Temp., F continuous use -=- 180
Coeff. of Linear Thermal Expansion, F D696 5.7 x 10~5
Underwriters' Lab Rating (Subj. 94) -=- HB
Dielectric strength, v/mil, short time D149 357(1/8)
Dielectric constant at 60 Hertz D150 30 - 50
Dielectric constant at 1 MegaHertz D150 2.8 - 3.8
Dissipation factor, at 60 Hertz D150 .004 - .034
Dissipation factor, at 1 MegaHertz D150 .006 - .011
Volume resistivity, ohm-cm D257 10~13 -10~16
Arc resistance (SS Electrode), sec. D495 97(1/8)

Told you it was more than you wanted to know...[:)]

In short, it is a plastic that can be purchased in various thicknesses and sizes that cand be used for almost anything! It can be made into vertually any shape, conture, etc. Most of which you only need a heat gun to do...

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Protein5000
01-31-2006, 05:36 AM
Thank you! Sounds good for the vader emmiter, I'm currently trying to make one out of PVC - but as you probably know PVC is kinda crappy.

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Cain,

I have a new question for you that I thought should be posted here, instead of just a personal e-mail so I hope you don't mind... hehehe, ahem... [}:)][^][:D]
you said you mold armour out of ABS? Could you, maybe, perhaps, please, tell us how or build armour for us like a Clone Trooper!![:0] Think about it! $$$$$! I'd pay almost anything for an ARC trooper outfit or the shoulder pads that Mace Windu wears or the outfit Obi wears in Clone Wars. I hope I just didn't open up a prob for ya, I just thought that with your experience, you could tell us how? Please?[:D][:D][:D][:D]

scaarmor
02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately, explaining how to make armor the way I do would be impossible. It is very hands on and very custom. Every piece of armor I make is custom fit and perfect for the intended person. I have even had a couple apprentices at armoring and only one shows any promise. I could easily make stormtrooper armor, or any for that matter. But trying to "explain" how to over the internet would be impossible, its one of those "have to be there" things. I am dearly sorry for this as I would love to share it with everyone, I simply cant.[:(][V]

Cain

xwingband
02-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Can you at least tell which method you use? Vacuum forming?

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-02-2006, 06:22 AM
So that means that you can build the armor?!?!? Hehehehehe![:D]
Please!! E-mail me about it and the guess on the pricing.

Thanks Cain...again.

scaarmor
02-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Of coarse I can tell you the method I use, remember, I am not trying to hide it, its just to hard to "armor by e-mail"...

I use the good old fashion method of jig-saw, belt sander, heat gun, and hard work with my own two hands. I dont use forms, that wouldnt be custom fit now would it[:)]? I believe that if you want something spectacular, custom, personal, and exceptionally crafted- you have to use your hands. Factories, machines, and assembly lines are left for the creation of the materials and that is all. Some of the most wonderous things I have ever seen are midevil suits of armor done by the hands, and produced a level of craftsmanship no machine could ever dream of touching. Thats why I started building midevil armor. I have made it all pretty much, even down to a fully functional (ordered by a friend and worn on the field currently), Fully period suit of ancient samuri armor-right down to the period lacing). Everything I do is done the way it was back then (with the exception of some materials) to the letter. Samuri, lorica segmentata, gothic, you name it! (Can you tell how much pride I take in my work?)

The only thing I would consider using a vacumm form for would be the helmets.

And yes, I personally build it all Mur-Pa (I do it for a living), thats why it would be so hard to explain. Think of it in these terms-"Hey, you know how to use the force? Could you write a paragraph or two and tell us how to use it?"- Just to much to write and soak up "reading" it, know what I mean?

Cain

Strydur
02-02-2006, 11:48 PM
How about some pics?

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

scaarmor
02-02-2006, 11:56 PM
It will take a short while to get pics. Pretty much everything I build is for other fighters within the SCA and after completion of the piece they take it home. However, I can get a few of them over with thier armor and get some pics. Give me alittle time and they will be here. I will get pics of them wearing it to show how they fit. But when you see them you will have to excuse some of the scratches and scufs, we use them for live combat and some are more used than others[:)].

Cain

marty123
02-03-2006, 01:02 AM
ok, so can any body build me a vader emiter out of ABS, i am willing to pay a good price, i want the best for my saber i want it strong and good looking, thanx

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Man, Cain, you really are a master craftsman! (Hard to come by these days) I got to see some pics![:D]

scaarmor
02-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Marty123,
I could make you one but it would be more than blast-tech's $25 one, because of the material. Especially considering the shipping. However, if you wish to talk to me about it you can find my e-mail off my profile. I dont want to do that on Tim's site, I have way to much respect for him to do that...

Mur-Pa,
Thank you for the kind words. I will have pics as soon as possible.

Cain