PDA

View Full Version : Dueling saber detail levels

gundamaniac
10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
What's the fanciest saber hilt you've seen that was made specifically for fighting with? I understand that the best hilts for fighting and playing around with are no-frills hilts, namely plain tubes with the switch on the bottom, or with some o-rings for grips. Or you could go a route like Novastar with his Flange sabers, making a nice comfy thin neck and spray-painting it to add detail as well as a neat textured grip.

I'm currently finalizing a design for a saber which I am planning to construct tomorow. In case it wasn't already obvious from the above paragraph, this hilt is being built to be easily handled, mainly because I only have one completed lux saber at the moment (i had two, but one of them is broken) and I'm sorely short on sabers for my friends to play with when they're over. And my MRs just won't cut it against my Lux (...duh...).

So this saber is being made relatively simple so a) I won't grow attached to its design over my current hilt's design, b) I won't be as P.O.'ed by any potential cosmetic damage to the hilt, and c) it's comfortable to hold (my friends disliked even the MR obi-wan because of the "ridges" on its "grenade grip"...and don't even get me started on the box). However, I want it to be detailed enough that it would look somewhat like a lightsaber rather than just a sinktube with a button on the bottom.

My idea is to give my saber a short neck (using a 1.25" tube) wide enough for the thumb and index finger to grip, for easier spins. That would then lead into a 1.5" tube, with a recessed area for a switch. Following that would be an aluminum grip, similar to Corbin's killer penny's lower grip section. That's the basic design idea; I'll post scans of my design tonight.

But for the mean time, what's the fanciest and most detailed "stunt" saber you've seen?

neophyl
10-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I build all my personal ones to be comfy when sparring. You can still have detail and style as well as the functionality. I also try and get the balance point as close to the emmitter as I can, usually with a thinner neck for grip and spins.

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/falchion.jpg

This is probably still my favourite, totally recessed switch it can not be accidentally activated or turned off during use, aux button places near the covertec and smooth with 2 different narrow areas depending on where you want the balance to be (balanced or slightly blade heavy).

I still think its fancy too in terms of looks.

gundamaniac
10-11-2007, 05:29 PM
I don't think that hilt is too fancy at all. It has just the right level of detail while looking comfortable too. I really liked that hilt; the wood grip especially adds a really unique touch to it.

Unfortunately, my hilt is going to be less comfortable than yours I think. I need to wait til I get home to scan the design but you'll see when I post it. It's not as nice looking as yours though =/. I think it's a pretty ugly design myself. Maybe by the time I get home I'll rework it into something I like...

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-11-2007, 08:50 PM
... totally recessed switch it can not be accidentally activated or turned off during use...

Just curious... How did you do that? What kind of switch did you use, and how did you rig it?

xwingband
10-11-2007, 08:54 PM
... totally recessed switch it can not be accidentally activated or turned off during use...

Just curious... How did you do that? What kind of switch did you use, and how did you rig it?

He used a slider. It's right under the brass ring in the picture. He machines all of his own stuff so it's pretty easy for him. :wink:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Ah, I see it now.

Nicely done!

gundamaniac
10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Agh. It's raining here in the Bay Area...this sucks. I was gonna build the saber today, but I do it in my garage with the door open. And the rain's splashing inside the garage (I have no idea how that works...but it's happening) so I had to close the door....cutting off what little light I was getting from the cloudy sky. And all the lights in my garage can't compare to natural daylight. Not to mention I've got no circulating air with the door closed. So I'm stuck til tomorrow.

The rain also ruined my design sketch. I can see it well enough to finish up the saber...but it's no longer scan/post-worthy. I'm a little annoyed since I actually do like my current design and really want to finish it and swish it around. Ugh. What a day for rain.