PDA

View Full Version : New here, interested in custom saber, special order parts

NeuroSean
10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi all. I am a new member here, but a long time star wars and lightsaber fan. I have had a couple of custom lightsabers made, but my usual sources are not doing them anymore.

Basically I am trying to figure out the best way to get the following made

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/1525356388_1c09721dff_o.jpg

Right now the emitter seems to be the only piece that the MHS doesn't have. I could use the MHS pieces for the rest, but if the hilt and end components could be special made as well that would be great

So my question is, can these pieces be custom made by the store?

Thanks so much for any help and feedback

supertrogdor
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Greetings NeuroSean,
This is a marvelous store with lots of possibilites. Tim a.k.a Strydur is capeable of and often does custom machining work. You should consider sending him a private message with regards to your design. You might also consider that the sink tubes sold here in the store fit perfectly over mhs parts and could be used for some of the overlay pieces you have in your picture. Definately Tim's MHS parts are second to none for the customizability, durability and ease of use, and you will find that the definately do not disappoint, especially when you get to see your great idea come to fruition. Keep tabs on the forums here, they are grand for spawning ideas you may have not even considered or thought possible.
cheers

Barmic Rin
10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
As always, the Burninator speaks true.

Definitely consider the sink tube option, especially with the emitter, though i'm sure Tim could machine that pommel easily.

Welcome, read, & enjoy!

DACOTA
10-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Well look who came from randomsabers to join tcss,greetings Neurosean,rememeber me?

Like thay said,Strydur could do it.That is why there is a custom work fee in the store.

Darth Lars
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
How about clamping a MHS emitter in a miter box and cutting it with a hacksaw at a 45° angle? The cut surface could be a little bit rough, but that could be corrected with a fine flat file followed by some fine sandpaper.
That's how I would do it. Hiring someone else to do it should not cost much. Having a custom part machined from scratch would.

xwingband
10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
With a stock MHS part at a 45 degree angle you'd have one side with like a half inch in the holder. Not very sturdy I think...

vortextwist
10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
maybe if you just use the regular straight thick emitter and overlay it with a sinktube for the angle.

NeuroSean
10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the tips and ideas. To be honest, while I consider myself somewhat handy, I know I lack the tools, and I think I lack the talent to fully realize this vision on my own. I would rather pay someone to do this saber right, and continue to learn more so that some other designs that I have buried in my head could see the light of day from my own hands.

Barmic Rin
10-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Never any harm in asking opinions on here dude!

I think i'd go with the sinktube shroud effect. It'd be sturdier than just cutting the MHS at an angle, and give the funky 'multi-layered' effect.

I'd do that myself if I were you, all part of the learning curve! :D

TheCheeker
10-10-2007, 11:27 AM
the sinktube shroud is not nearly as intimidating as it seems. i simply drew the design i wanted on the side of the tube with crayon and cut it with a dremel and after a few minutes of filing looks great. dremels are fairly cheap too if you dont already have one.

NeuroSean
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
This might be moving into off topic territory, but in looking through the forums I have not been able to find a great answer.

So I am now considering doing the hilt with MHS parts, and then trying to do a sink tue overlay to get the emitter shroud the way I want it. But I have a few questions.

1- Basic principles of the dremel I get (used one for rodent surgery, I have a Ph.D in neuroscience), but for cutting, what attachments specifically are used and how much resistance does the sink tube provide?

2- Besides a hacksaw any other tools that can be used to modify the MHS hilt components themselves?

Thanks for the insights

Stinky Bantha
10-10-2007, 09:50 PM
1- Basic principles of the dremel I get (used one for rodent surgery, I have a Ph.D in neuroscience), but for cutting, what attachments specifically are used and how much resistance does the sink tube provide?

2- Besides a hacksaw any other tools that can be used to modify the MHS hilt components themselves?

Thanks for the insights

As for cutting the sinktube, just find a heavy-duty cutting wheel (they usually come in little packs of like 20 or more). The sink tube won't cut like butter, but you should be able to make it through pretty well if you take your time.

Although I imagine it's not the best method, you could do the same with the MHS as with the sinktube, there will just be a lot more resistance since the MHS parts are quite a bit thicker.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I have used a metal cutting blade on my compound miter saw to cut angles in sink tubes for shrouds.

TheCheeker
10-10-2007, 11:08 PM
the dremel accessory that i used specifically says on the package that its meant to cut metal. should be really easy to find. The sink tube won't provide a ton of resistance. just make sure you wear gloves, long sleeves, and protective eyewear because the dremel kicks up a ton of debris and in case you dont already know, little metal shards hurt :wink: ... but as long as you are careful and move slow you won't have to worry about putting too much effort into the cut. you might want to have some files on hand to take care of the sharp edges and imperfections from the cut. on mine i cut an emitter shroud and an overlay for the body and filed and sanded the edges and including cleanup only took about an hour or so. its worth noting that it was the first time i had ever handled a dremel too.

LAN-ED-TUL
10-10-2007, 11:11 PM
one time i used a dremel and the cutoff wheel to make a sinkpipe replica of a graflex. i cut the angled end of the graflex out on the pipe with a pattern taped to it, usin nutton but the wheel, then a drum sander to smooth the edges up once cut off.

NeuroSean
10-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Has anyone tried cutting and shaping the heiland head piece replica (the resin one). I think I can do the emitter with that, but I dont want the base part, pretty much everything below the screw. Any luck cutting this, what did you use, a dremel? Any other advice?

Thanks for the help.

gman666
10-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I used the MR Vader ESB shroud for a Vader ROTJ shroud. I cut off the 45 degree part and saved the back. I then used epoxy putty to fill the slot. I used a cope saw. The cut was straight and just used a belt sander to clean it up. I got a Vader ROTJ for a 10.00 ESB shroud. There is also the Anakin AOTC shroud.

Thanks!

Greg