PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum castings

TimeRender
10-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Does anyone here know someone who has the equipment to make aluminum castings? I'm starting work on a custom DL-44 blaster and I would like to swap out the original wooden grips for aluminum ones.

ArkaiHalon
10-08-2007, 09:47 AM
honestly, try a gun show. lots of options there.

TimeRender
10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Nobody makes aluminum grips for the mauser. I wouldn't be able to find it at a gun show. My only option is to have a set custom made. At least as far as I know. Still, if I could find it at a gunshow I should be able to find it online, and I can't.

ArkaiHalon
10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
not necesarilly. alot of vendors at the gunshows don't do business online. ie old school. But a lot of them have contacts, and might know who you can get to do a custom grip. also, alot of vendor's have nothing to do with guns.

it's very interesting what you can find.

TimeRender
10-08-2007, 05:19 PM
In that case I may check it out the next time a gun show comes to town. In the meantime, if anyone has any information about casting, please drop me a line.

neophyl
10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Do a google search for sand casting, also aluminium casting at home. Its possible to do it in your back yard with some fairly basic materials.

Madcow
10-09-2007, 10:05 AM
You might be able to machibe aluminum rod or tube, and then cut the grips out. How complex it the pattern you want on them?

MC

Darth Lars
10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
There are web pages about casting metals in your back yard, including sand-casting aluminum, but I don't have the link handy. Google is your friend. :)

If you want them cast professionally, it could cost you more than having them machined.

TimeRender
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Honestly I hadn't even considered having them machined rather than cast. Hey Tim, let me hear your thoughts on the subject if you happen to read this.
As for backyard casting, I don't think I want to risk it. I live in a small apartment so I don't even have a backyard , and I don't think my landlord would appreciate me fooling around with molten metal in her parking lot. I checked Emachineshop and they would do it for about 150 for the setup and then about a buck a piece, which would be great if only I had a dozen or so other people interested in aluminum broomhandle grips. I considered checking over on the RPF, but those guys are mostly into canon props so I haven't bothered yet. I had hoped I could find someone who already owned a backyard crucible and furnace who might be willing to make a set and sell them to me. Anyway, keep the tips coming guys. Thanks!

orko
10-23-2007, 12:11 PM
if you want to make an aluminum casting you can make a cheap one time use casting..... get a bag of sand and a small container of plaster of paris from home depot or lowes or any home iprovement store (not play sand) make a box out of 1x6" lumber 4 (sides and bottom) mix the entire bag of sand with the entire cantainer of plaster in a 5 gal bucket using a drill and paint mixer making sure it is good & uniformly mixed and now add some water to the mix a little at a time until the mix can be packed into a shape or a ball and not crumble.... pack the sand mixture into the box and then take your grips and push them into the sand making a mold let it sit an stiffen a bit (thats why you ad the plaster to the sand) now very gently remove the grips and with a can of compressed air blow the mold gently to remove any loose particles...... now if you can figure out a way to melt some aluminum your good.... you could probably do it with a cast iron skillet and use a tourch on the undeside of the skillet Bernzomatic sells a nice brazing kit which comes with a oxegen tank a mapp gas tank the tourch and striker very easy to use extremely hot and extremly bright use a good pair of sunglasses or a welders mask.