PDA

View Full Version : gravity and plasma

JediHilt
10-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I have a theory that I need your input on. It has bothered me for years why is gravity stonger one place than another? Iv'e read how neutron stars could weigh millions of tons for just one teaspoon material! Then it finally dawned on me what might actually be happening. Take to half-spheres stick them together and suck the air out of the sphere. Now try to pull them apart lol. take the same spheres down into the ocean a few thousand feet now try to pull them apart roflmao. This is due to the pressure that gravity exerts on air and water pushing on the outside of the sphere without being able to balance it's self. Now take the same principal and apply it to a star. What if there is something about stars that causes gravity to be unable to penetrate their shell causing a massive cavitation in gravity just like the vacuumed spheres with unimaginable imploding force. The same thing happens on planets only it's something about the core of the earth that is reducing the pushing force of the gravity coming through the earth causing us to be pushed down onto the earth we call this gravity. So appearantly gravity is the same streangth everwhere it just neutralizes it's self where it seems weak or non-existant. So if anyone has any ideas on whats causing this gravity shielding we can make a lightsaber. have a beam of whatever emitting out so many feet causing a void in gravity which will crush air into a star like fussion reacting plasma that will be raw, pure, and dense energy which fits the description of a lightsaber blade. There is just one problem however, Tim's aluminum emitters might only last about 4 seconds befor melting lol.

Angelus Lupus
10-05-2007, 09:48 AM
You seem to have no idea what gravity is, or how it works. And the lols were totaly not needed. As for the vacuum idea? That has nothing to do with gravity

Jonitus
10-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Let me quote Novastar when I say:

HANH???

JediHilt
10-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Lupus where do you think air and water pressure come from? A star has enough gravity to hold it together depsite the enourmous pressure and heat not because there is more gravity on the outside of a star but because there is a lack thereof on the inside. Think about it the gravity it would take the hold an exploding mass the size of the sun together by all means should suck us right into it. Why doesn't it? it's not increased pressure on the outside it is decreased pressure on the inside. Gravity can't exert equal pressure on all sides of the atoms so it tries to crush the entire orb to create equilibrium which just creates more heat and pressure to fight off the gravity doesn't that make perfect sense?

xwingband
10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
You seem to have no idea what gravity is, or how it works. And the lols were totaly not needed. As for the vacuum idea? That has nothing to do with gravity

Ditto. He needs to sit in on a basic physics class.

The earth is not perfectly round and is effected by it's spinning. I'm in a physics lab class and we use 9.79 m/s^2 because on the precision of our experiments sometimes that actually becomes crucial. 9.79 just happens to be the value of gravity in our lab.

Take that lab in Denver or at the equator and the value might vary. It's all related to some pretty fundamental equations relating the radius and gravity.

You have terribly weak understanding of physics.

xwingband
10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Lupus where do you think air and water pressure come from? A star has enough gravity to hold it together depsite the enourmous pressure and heat not because there is more gravity on the outside of a star but because there is a lack thereof on the inside. Think about it the gravity it would take the hold an exploding mass the size of the sun together by all means should suck us right into it. Why doesn't it? it's not increased pressure on the outside it is decreased pressure on the inside. Gravity can't exert equal pressure on all sides of the atoms so it tries to crush the entire orb to create equilibrium which just creates more heat and pressure to fight off the gravity doesn't that make perfect sense?

NO!!!!!! It's spinning. Take a bucket full of water and spin it around your head. The radial momentum keeps the water in the bucket and no one gets wet.

It's just spinning! Same with planets and the sun. It's own spinning is keeping it together. Ever read about pole reversals as catostrophic events? By all means if that happened all hell would break loose, but other the effects of gravity over a distance are not what you think they are.

JediHilt
10-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm confused what your suggesting with the bucket idea is that you have centrifugal force throwing the water outward but then the bottom of the bucket holds it in place. In real life what does the bottom of the bucket represent? I realize the insanity of my theory but I'm just trying to think outside the box here. Our model of gravity is so full of holes it looks like a shotgun target.

Angelus Lupus
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
doesn't that make perfect sense?
In a word, no.
How you can say there's no pressure inside a star is beyond me. Gravity is not trying to crush a star to equilibrium, it is simply a function of the mass of the atoms in the star all attracting each other. The gravity is enough to hold in much of the fusion reaction of the sun, which is why it doesn't explode.

Novastar
10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Let me quote Novastar when I say:

HANH???Now THAT deserves an actual "lol".

So...

LOL.

xwingband
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm confused what your suggesting with the bucket idea is that you have centrifugal force throwing the water outward but then the bottom of the bucket holds it in place. In real life what does the bottom of the bucket represent? I realize the insanity of my theory but I'm just trying to think outside the box here. Our model of gravity is so full of holes it looks like a shotgun target.

No our ideas on gravity are perfectly fine. You're understanding however isn't.

The bucket analogy is just a basic idea of spinning. The gravity represented by your hand or a rope to spin it is what is preventing the bucket from flying out. The spinning force is what keeps the water in the bucket... if it wasn't there you'd just be flinging water around.

Okay here's another... ever seen an ice skater spin? When they want to go faster they pull their arms in. They are lowering their moment of intertia to spin faster. Same with the sun... the faster it spins the more it wants to pull in to maintain itself.

That's the same idea of collapsing stars; to maintain fission it spins faster, burns brighter and gets smaller.

Darth Lars
10-05-2007, 04:56 PM
You have got it completely wrong.

There is no laser in a lightsaber. Nor is it a form of plasma held in a field of some kind.
A lightsaber "blade" is actually a elongated vortex of oscillating leptons. Of course, leptonic oscillation results in leptomagnetic radiation - faster oscillation results in shorter wavelengths, and the opposite is also true. In this case, "gamma rays" are being produced and then consumed by the vortex in a continuous feedback loop.
The visible light from a blade is actually emitted from the plasma that is part of the filament propagation from the short-lived gamma-rays within the vortex.
A property of this effect is that a lightsaber can only be ignited in air, as the air in front of the blade becomes part of it as it extends.
It is pretty simple quantum physics in theory. In practice, however, the problem is in maintaining stability within the vortex. You will need to direct the energy through a "lens" of some kind which has a uniform crystal lattice structure. Any imperfection will cause the vortex to break apart within microseconds. (you will have created a particle emitter, that does not feed back into itself = very dangerous and short-lived!!). Creating such a lens is impossible using conventional processes, ... in other words, without using The Force.

:P

JediHilt
10-05-2007, 10:19 PM
You guys are totaly missunderstanding my analogies and their prospective so just forget it I'll just have to prove it myself thankyou for your input I apreciate it.

Novastar
10-06-2007, 01:09 AM
There's this place called "The Mystery Spot (http://www.mysteryspot.com/index.shtml)" in Santa Cruz, CA that Jedihilt should visit... :)

Jay-gon Jinn
10-06-2007, 08:34 AM
There's this place called "The Mystery Spot (http://www.mysteryspot.com/index.shtml)" in Santa Cruz, CA that Jedihilt should visit... :)

We have one in Northern Michigan too....in the U.P. somewhere...it's a mystery...

Dregan
10-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Jay-Gon, do you know what it's called? I'd be willing to drive up there to see that...

Jay-gon Jinn
10-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I believe it's called "The Mystery Spot." Not sure where it's at exactly anymore, or even if it's still there....haven't been there for about 20 yrs.

Novastar
10-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Jay-Gon, do you know what it's called? I'd be willing to drive up there to see that...lol... hahahah... :)