PDA

View Full Version : MR Board dimensions

GusKenobi
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
does anyone know the exact dimensions to the Mr boards and battery packs for any or all of the MR products?

xwingband
10-02-2007, 01:41 PM
The 3-cell models are about 1" x 2" and 6-cells are 1" x 2 1/4". They vary in height a bit... like the 6 cells usually are taller because of connectors and the 3-cells are no thicker than about 1/4".

GusKenobi
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
So if i were to basically open up any of my MR sabers i would essentially have a 1"x2" board.
The reason i was asking was because i bought a machined hilt and was trying to get some lights and sound set up on it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

xwingband
10-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it will be close to that. The 6-celled models are a bit longer and thicker. If you are decent with a soldering iron one of the 3-cell models could fit in 1".

GusKenobi
10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
i guess ill have to take it apart tonight and use my caliper to see the exact measurements.
I personally like the idle sound of The darth maul saber best and since the Custom saber shop has no sound boards or boards in stock id just use it for a conversion.
I should be able to do a direct transfer of the speaker and board and then convert that to a lux3 though?
I have never done anything like this before so i really wanna research the best and easiest options before i go ahead with it.

Novastar
10-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Removing the speaker from the battery pack can be daunting on certain MR models, but it can be done.

However, whenever possible--it's pretty good to keep the battery + speaker pack the way it is. It's pretty nice on saving space. Problem is... I don't think it will fit in the ID of an MHS. I could be wrong.

The board should fit just fine in any MHS part that I can imagine.

GusKenobi
10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
so i got it all apart thanks to the tutorials on here which are so accurate it only took a few minutes!

The batter pack and speaker will fit almost perfect, but the sound module is well, over sized to say the least. So i will have to take it apart and then make a new "holder" for it.

Is that possible has anyone tried that?

xwingband
10-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah... done all the time. The dimensions I gave are for the board not the holder. I assumed you didn't want to use it. Oh well.

GusKenobi
10-03-2007, 12:18 PM
whats the best way to go about taking the plastic appart without busting whats inside?

and also what do i do then? is there a forum u can direct me to for that...
FYI u guys are really good at helping people out... i cant wait to be done and get some pics up!

xwingband
10-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I'd heat it up a bit and just take a knife down the seams.

A forum??? How about this one? :P It is all about building sabers.

It all depends on what you are putting it into, but I like just cutting up a 1.25" plastic sinktube. If the space is tight enough I'd just use a little hotglue on the board joints then heatshrink the board... maybe a little foam on it.

If you have tons of space locking it down to another piece of pipe is nice.

GusKenobi
10-03-2007, 12:27 PM
HA HA...
no i wouldn't go anywhere else for my saber advice than here!
i never thought of heating up the a knife..i will be on that right after work tonight...

I dont have alot of room diameter wise...only 1 inch..but i do have about 10 inches length wise... so just use some sink tube...cut it and the card on it u say...hmmm. Sounds easy enough :P

Hasid Lafre
10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Be sure to put hot glue on all the wires on the board and becare full not to damage the sensor that hangs off or you will lose your clash effect.

xwingband
10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Hmm... an inch. That's not much. You probably won't have the luxury of a cradle made from anything. With wires and some padding it will probably be really snug as is.

You may even need to solder off the blade connector and just solder the wires directly to the board. You'll probably see pretty quick what you could or couldn't do, but right now I'm thinking it won't be much. Just some heatshrink and at 1" it will hold itself inside without knocking.

GusKenobi
10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
well i put my darth maul back together and tore down my obi wan. the led's were going in it so i figured yeah..lets take that ole girl a part.
For a note the connections all fit inside..once u get the board off the plastic mount..it fits so snug in the 1 inch tube there is no movement at all.

now for another question ( i feel like a little kid asking my dad why and how every 2 minutes haha)
the battery pack and speakers dont fit...and i measured and i cant even get 2 double A batteries inside the tube side by side... so im wondering will the Obi-wan board and sound be powered by AAA?
Is there anything to the battery and speaker pack beside the speakers and the battery? Like there isnt a sound card or anything in that?

I guess if you can help or mention if there is any parts i could use from CSS id love the help yet again!

xwingband
10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
It will be powered just fine by AAA's. The runtimes will just be rather low.

There is nothing in the battery pack besides the speaker and parts to hold the batteries.

GusKenobi
10-03-2007, 08:45 PM
so i could buy a AAA holder from here and jsut wire it to the board and then wire the speakers in too?
.....SWeeet