PDA

View Full Version : Tools of the Trade

nich
01-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Ok I'm new to the site and how every thing works. I'm not going to be very creative on my first saber. I've read through the tutorials but what I'm missing is the tools that are needed. I get a basic Led Hilts set up. I know that I would need a soldering iron what kind of drill bits would I need and what would I use to cut the sink tub. Can anybody help me with this. Thank you for you time in reading my post.
Nich

Darth Frieds
01-29-2006, 12:07 PM
to cut the sink tube, use a dremel or rotary tool

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

vadeblade
01-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Well here is my list of tools to build a basic lightsaber:

***SAFETY GLASSES***

Dremel w/ the following accesories-
...cut-off disk
...reinforced cut-off disk
...sanding drum
...assorted high-speed cutters

screw tap w/ appropriate drill bits -
...#4-40 tap w/ No. 43 drill bit
...#6-32 tap w/ No. 36 drill bit
...#8-32 tap w/ No. 29 drill bit

hacksaw
set of allen wrenches
assorted wet/dry sand paper
lots of masking tape
tap or cutting oil
vise grips
vise (optional but handy)

ohh, and buy a good pair of safety glasses.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

vadeblade
01-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Also want to add the the flex-shaft attachment for the Dremel makes the rotary tool much easier to use. Get one of those if you can afford one.

LAN-ED-TUL
01-31-2006, 01:29 AM
one other thing that might be added to list:

BANDAIDS lol

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

nich
01-31-2006, 08:57 AM
OK So what is a screw tap?

xwingband
01-31-2006, 09:27 AM
It's the tool you use to put threads on a hole you just drilled.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

nich
02-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Does any one have any preferences on what type of dremel that they like. I've been looking at the black and Decker Dremel and the DREMEL name brand. I was also wondering if anybody has done any paint work and with out the power cotting if there was something another type of paint that could be used. Thank you everybody for your replies so far.

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-01-2006, 11:41 AM
As far as the rotary tool is concerned only go with the Dremel. They have a nice warranty and all the cool accessories work great! (especially that little pencil, flexi, thingy thing.) When in doubt always go for the better model. I prefer the twin speed over the single at least so you can adjust the speed. I have one that adjusts the speed so nicely that I can even use it to screw in screws! (which for those who have used one know that is impossible at 35,000 rpms!)

I'm currently building my first hilt, and the paints that Michael's sells for plastic stuff to make it look different seems to be working nicely for some neat different styles. Also, you can go with the tried and true Testors paint for models. Plastic is plastic if you sand it right. Mostly when it comes to painting, prepping is key, a good prep with a crappy paint job will always look better than a crappy prep, and a good paint spray. (note how I didn't say "job")

Go with the Dremel, and for the paint, make sure that it adheres to whatever you're trying to paint on, and prepping is key.[:D]

Other than that, just make sure that your finger stays away from the cut-off wheel or you can talk about the experience like the rest of us have.

As Cain would say, If there isn't any blood drawn by the end of the project, than you didn't work hard enough or it isn't done."[:p]

okay I know that was cheesey and not really yours Cain, but it was somewhere along those lines.[:D]

scaarmor
02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
The sign of a job well done is BLOOD. I have never had a project, job, etc. go correctly if I did not bleed. Conversly, every time I have bled the project turns out perfect! I have even sometimes, after working on a car when I didnt bleed, cut myself and thrown blood at the car to make sure it worked properly. Blood is key to life, and without life there wouldnt be any projects to do- Therefore blood is crutial to any project you may be doing. Morbid and psychotic I know, but welcome to my world of neverending chaos and deravity!

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

vadeblade
02-01-2006, 11:48 PM
I actually use a Sears Craftman rotary tool. Craftsman warranty is top notch. I've seen them take back a wrench purchased in the 70's. I would go with as much variable speed as you can afford. I like the ones with a variable speed lever marked off,1,2,3,4,5.

And I must stress the safety glasses. Don't go cheap on those. At least $15 - a bargain for keeping your eyeballs intact.

xwingband
02-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Get the one that fits your budget and don't cheap out. Avoid the cordless ones.

Strydur
02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I love my cordless dremel. Unless you plan on cutting allot the batterys last fine.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
02-02-2006, 09:43 AM
I'll second that on the cordless Dremel mine works great, I use an old electric one for major cutting and the new battery one for everything else.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

xwingband
02-02-2006, 09:43 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

I love my cordless dremel. Unless you plan on cutting allot the batterys last fine.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Each to his own... I think the huge battery off of the back is a pain. I use the snake attachment most of the time since I can't stand holding the normal part. It's so bulky.[:p]

I have an XPR if anyone's interested. Things a beast and beauty at the same time.[:D] I love all the attachments I can use now too. Beats having to go to the woodshop of my school just to do one cut.[:p]

GeluKhanGharr
02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by scaarmor

...I have even sometimes, after working on a car when I didnt bleed, cut myself and thrown blood at the car to make sure it worked properly.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you give your clients a free carwash with that? [:D]

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg