PDA

View Full Version : 2001 a space odyssey, A film by Stanley Kubrick. *spoilers*

Hasid Lafre
09-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Ok so there will be spoilers who have no idea what the film series is about and want to see it so please dont read if you dont want to be spoiled.

Ok so I know that Stanley Kubrick has got prolly the strangest way of putting a film togeather(ex: clockwork orange).

But I just got done watching 2001 a space odyssey and I am really confused.

I kinda know whats going on from watching the last half of 2010 a space odyssey.

But I never could see the beginning of the film, and I forget if theres another film before or after 2010.

So please dont ruin much for me when trying to explain whats going on in 2001 a space odyssey.

I was following along pritty well they dont know what to make of the monolith on the moon and the signel that its sending to jupiter but, after dave disconnects hal so to speak they end up at jupiter. Then it goes into some messed up bad acid trip mode of sorts.

Then he "lands" his pod in a very victorean looking house then it just gets as messed up as the acid trip, and that bit about the fedus and the earth thing Iam totally lost.

So is this flick setup to keep you compleatly clueless till you ee the other films?

WHAT IS IT!

GFORCE13
09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok I am a huge Kubrick Fan and have seen all his movies multiple times and to quote Arthur C. Clark " If you understood 2001 you missed the point"
I have theories on the symbolizum, but there is no correct answer he just wanted to make you think of the possibilities.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010 is a completely different movie and not approved or done by Stanly Kubrick but I have enjoyed it since I first saw it in the Theathers, mainly due to Roy Schieder and all the Cold War aspects, plus what other movie taught you so much Russian. 8)

Jedi Ranger
09-30-2007, 11:37 PM
plus what other movie taught you so much Russian. 8)

The Hunt for Red October. ;)

Dregan
10-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Read the books.

Barmic Rin
10-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Today's russian lesson will be slightly different.

Today you'll be learning to speak it with a scottish accent! :wink:

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/Sean_Connery_The_Hunt_for_Red_October.jpg

Seriously, I have to read the books. Saw 2001 years ago, but was too young to really pay attention. Loved what I saw though.

SilentBob501
10-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Basically if your looking for the plot in 2001 ASO youre not going to find it. From what I hear though you'll understand at least a little more if youve read the book (but not much). Kubrick is out there, and likes making his movies artsy and confusing, not my taste. Hes also known for taking a fair share of creative license with source material. Stephen King basically disowned the movie The Shining after he disagreed with the way Kubrick messed with the story.

Jonitus
10-01-2007, 12:23 PM
If you're learning Russian from American movies...you're really getting the short end of the stick. The American accent when speaking Russian is so abysmal, it messes up the wording.

Why is it that every Russian in an American movie has a British/Scottish accent? Ever notice it? Weird....

Barmic Rin
10-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Or the brits make some great villians.

Alan Rickman in Die Hard & Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves ("Burn their villages, and cancel Christmas!")

Andy Serkis in Lord of The Rings.

Christopher Lee in the Hammer Horror series, Lord of The Rings & Dooku!!

The list goes on!

Angelus Lupus
10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Christopher Lee certainly has presence, and you can't beat Alan Rickman for a good sneer, he's quite possibly the best Sheriff of Nottingham ever

Barmic Rin
10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Come on Ang, help me out with a bigger list!

It's far too late for me to start thinking seriously!
Do it for Blighty! :lol:

Angelus Lupus
10-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Hmm, great British villains?
Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
Practically every Imperial officer in the original trilogy
Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort
That woman who was the evil queen in Willow

Barmic Rin
10-01-2007, 12:50 PM
She scared the heck outta me!

Christian Bale in American Psycho. Anyone who like Huey lewis & the News MUST be evil!

Gary Oldman. Dracula or the bent cop in Leon.

GFORCE13
10-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Christian Bale in American Psycho. Anyone who like Huey lewis & the News MUST be evil! Damn that explains my occasional dipping in to the Darkside, I even own the Sports Album on LP and I bought it in the 80's when it first came out. :lol:

vortextwist
10-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Christian Bale in American Psycho. Anyone who like Huey lewis & the News MUST be evil! Damn that explains my occasional dipping in to the Darkside, I even own the Sports Album on LP and I bought it in the 80's when it first came out. :lol:

"The power of love" lol

Jetsi
10-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Red Group, check in!

Red Six standinb by.

Red Three standing by.

Red Five standing by.

Red Buttons standing by.

Red Foxx standing by.

Red October standing by.

Sorry, just rewatched the Family Guy Blue Harvest.

Yeah, I need to see 2001 again, because I was pretty young the first time. So young that I think it went way over my head, therefore I never really got into it like other sci-fi movies . . . :roll: .

Hasid Lafre
10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
About the whole why are brits villans was brought up on a tv show called top gear(iam sure some of you have watched it).

But they get actors and such to drive in a resionably priced car on there test track.

The actor said something about hollywood is afraid of somethng something intelagence something something. I cant remember the rest.

But it was funny.

Jedi-Loreen
10-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Having read the book after I saw 2001 the first time did help me understand it a bit better when I saw it the next time.

But only a bit. :P

GFORCE13
10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Red Group, check in!

Red Six standinb by.

Red Three standing by.

Red Five standing by.

Red Buttons standing by.

Red Foxx standing by.

Red October standing by.

Sorry, just rewatched the Family Guy Blue Harvest.

Yeah, I need to see 2001 again, because I was pretty young the first time. So young that I think it went way over my head, therefore I never really got into it like other sci-fi movies . . . Rolling Eyes .
_________________ Funny I happen to be listening to Hunt for Red Oktober on XM right now while posting.

About the whole why are brits villans was brought up on a tv show called top gear(iam sure some of you have watched it).

But they get actors and such to drive in a reasonably priced car on there test track.
Oh yes I remember this show it was on Discovery Late Night last year, I never missed it until they pulled it but now it is on the Link:
http://tv-links.co.uk/listings/1/926