PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC Wiring for K2

The_Savior
09-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I purchased a life sized Yoda awhile back and I would like to convert his lightsaber into a lighted version with a K2 LED. I have purchased the items, but I have several questions regarding converting AC/DC to make it work along with wiring.

I've purchased the following:

1 - K2 Luxeon Green
1 - 1.5 Ohm 5W resistor
1- LED Holder

Reading the resistor chart it says target mA is 1500 for the K2. Does that mean I purchase a AC/DC power supply that has a target value of 6w and 1500mA??

I have a power supply right now that can vary from 3v - 12v, but it only sends out 500mA. Would that be a factor in trying to light the LED? I'm new to all of this so I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

If I'm not mistaken the resistor goes between the power on the LED and the power on the AC/DC power supply. I don't need a switch because it's going to be hooked up to a light switch that will be controlled.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lord Maul
09-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I'd skip the trouble of a AC/DC converter and just put a AA battery holder on the back of the stand up. It'd save you a headache.

The_Savior
09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't be against that, but the problem is he's going to be about 8' off the ground on a platform. That's one of the reasons I wanted to do the AC to DC thing.

Hasid Lafre
09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
oh I see its a big yoda.

But not as big as this.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/yoda-356x450.jpg

As for the ac/dc converter thing. What Iw ould do is instead of a lux led I would get a lightbulb that green and stick it in the end of the hilt. would light up alot better than a lux would.

The_Savior
09-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Definitely not that big. :)

Actually I've seen the a Yoda done with a Lux and it was very impressive. I just wasn't sure how he was wiring the AC to DC power. I just need to know what converter to get.

xwingband
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
You can use an AC/DC converter. The 500mA it gives won't cut it though. The resistor is current limiting so if it doesn't have more than what it needs your just shooting yourself in the foot.

For a display I'd go for some sort of driver. A puck like the ones sold in the store here will give you more freedom if you can't get a higher amperage output.

The_Savior
09-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Ok, I tried out a 9v 1500mA power supply and it appears that the LED (on a heatsink) and resistor get very hot. The resistor is to the point where it will burn you if you touch it.

I'm using the recommend resistor off the chart (3.9ohm 10w), but it's still getting extremly hot. Any suggestions?

THanks again!