PDA

View Full Version : drilling into pommel

Darth Ultionis
09-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm going to dril into my pommel style 3 to put a d-ring onto it. All i need is a standard power drill and appropriate bit size right? No special drill bits? I'm nervous about drilling myself

Treadingwolf
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
You can pick up a tap and bit set here, or get one from your local hardware store, as long as the bit is the right size for your tap, they can tell you what you need if you are unsure.
But basicly if you have steady hands and true eyes you can use a power drill, thats what i do hehe.

Jonitus
09-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Are you attaching a d-ring TO the pommel, or THROUGH one of the "cubes"?

If it's THROUGH one of the cubes, it will be quite a bit more difficult, but still doable.

Need more info.

Darth Ultionis
09-27-2007, 06:02 PM
i figured i would drill in between one of the two raised pieces on the pommel

Hasid Lafre
09-27-2007, 06:06 PM
That would require some very carefull drilling and iam not sure if theres gonna be enought cube to make it look right.

Darth Ultionis
09-27-2007, 06:17 PM
ugghh, then i need advice from all you saber builders. Check out my saber in the MHS thread, you'll see it. I need a clip, convertec or d-ring... but i dont know where and i am so nervous about drilling and where i would put it

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Personally, I like the covertec system, but after looking at your saber, I don't know where you could put it. You could cut off a piece of one of the grips, and put it there, but I think it would be a bad idea.

You could put it further down on the smooth part of the black section, but I think the screw would interfere with the threads inside.

I think your next best bet is a D-ring.

I have a pommel #3, and I used it to make a couple of quick pictures for you. (Pardon the crude drawing. :lol: )

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/pommel3a.jpg

If you wanted to drill through sideways like the picture above, the cubes are too thin.

If I were you, I would get the 3/4" D-ring and put it on the flat of one of the cubes. You could drill and tap it for a screw, but in this case, I think it would be easier to just use a pop rivet.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/pommel3b.jpg

Hope that helps.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Looking at your saber again, I think the D-ring might possibly fit between the grips. Just make sure you drill your hole beyond the threads for the pommel.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-27-2007, 09:56 PM
If that were my saber, I'd put a covertec right between one of the rear grips, wherever you think would be the most comfortable spot for one to have the saber hanging from a belt. Don't worry about drilling and tapping for the screw, it's very easy to do.

Bescherman
09-28-2007, 01:34 AM
I've not actually worn a saber held on by either method so I don't have a practical perference, however I DO like the "old skool" nature of a D ring over a covertec clip. Very OT. :)

Darth Lars
09-28-2007, 02:46 AM
I have worn both sabers with D-rings at the very end and a covertec. The D-ring saber moved around more when I walked, against my leg, which was less comfortable. The D-ring also "claps" against the metal when I move the saber.

Darth Ultionis
09-28-2007, 04:22 PM
If that were my saber, I'd put a covertec right between one of the rear grips, wherever you think would be the most comfortable spot for one to have the saber hanging from a belt. Don't worry about drilling and tapping for the screw, it's very easy to do.

I like this idea. does the black convertec on the site that comes with the belt clip need to be screwed in like the silver one?

Barmic Rin
09-28-2007, 04:56 PM
On my personal hilt, my Covertec is about 2" from the pommel end, not too much swing, & easy to pull off the belt.

I do love the look of the D-ring, but trying my graflex, it just swings too much when you walk.

I agree with Jay for your one, but it is your choice afterall.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I like this idea. does the black convertec on the site that comes with the belt clip need to be screwed in like the silver one?

Yup. It should come with the screw, all three of the ones I have came with one, but then again, I got them from another source. They can use the same screw size as the button heads in the store, 8-32 x 3/8".