PDA

View Full Version : Anakin MR conversion blade holder - problems

Jonitus
09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Maybe it's just me, so I ask here:

How farking tight is the blade holder supposed to be inside the hilt? Holy cow! I can't even begin to get the thing in the steel version of the hilt I have, and it's nearly a no-go in the aluminum version of the hilt.

Both hilts have been rechromed, but I have removed all the offending chrome from the inside of the hilt and it is bare substrate...and the holder still won't go in.

Just me?

P.S. An MR Anakin looks sweet with all the parts chromed...including the midband...looks much more "saberish".

Hasid Lafre
09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Try sanding some of the bladeholder a bit.

Jonitus
09-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Pardon my French, but DUH!

I will most likely end up turning it down a bit on my lathe, but I wanted to know just how tight the thing is supposed to fit in there. Right now, I bet it would take me borrowing time on my friend's 2 ton press to get the bloody thing in the hilt.

Since MR used two different metals to make hilts of this saber out of, I am wondering if their sabers differed in other ways that make this blade holder and adapter difficult to install for other people. Ya know, because MR has such "wonderful" quality control and consistency.

Things like this is why my shop doesn't do MR conversions.

Hasid Lafre
09-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I would make it so its as tight as possable but still be abel to get it out if need be without haveing to destroy it or the hilt.

vortextwist
09-27-2007, 03:01 PM
when I converted mine with tim's kit it wasn't tight.

Jonitus
09-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Interesting.

I had wondered if it weren't the fault of the MR hilts. They came apart REALLY hard. I mean banging the snot out of the electronics compartment housing to get the guts out, even with all the disassembly done according to the tutorial on this site.

If I thought I could set them up right in the lathe, I'd just throw a bore bar to them and shave off what I needed to make the holder fit properly.

Ahh, the life of a custom saber builder. Bleh!

Jay-gon Jinn
09-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Hmm...I think you're right about MR's quality control. I dismantled an Anakin a couple weeks ago in ten minutes using the instruction on the site here. The blade holder and the board carrier came right out without any trouble.

denito
06-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi guys, just got my conversion kit shipped to me and Im having the same problem as the OP did. The new blade holder seems too big for the hilt!

I know someone suggested sanding the blade holder to make it smaller, but how do i do that? With sandpaper from the local hardware and lots of elbow grease?
I dont have very much experience with this stuff nor do I have access to machinery.

:confused: Please help! Thanks

Lord Maul
06-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, start with 100 grit from the hardware store and go up to like 220 when you have it fitting well.

Make sure that you have deburred the inside of the hilt. I've had kit holders catch on crappy screw holes inside the hilt. You can use sandpaper or needle files to de-burr\

denito
06-12-2010, 01:53 AM
awesome thanks for the quick reply! cant wait to get this put all together :)