PDA

View Full Version : thumbscrew loosening remedy

Darth Ultionis
09-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Any one has a remedy for the thumbscrew getting loose when you duel or it is just something you have to deal with and make sure it's tight every few minutes? It gets kind of annoying.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-26-2007, 09:41 AM
You could try a lock washer or maybe a small o-ring to help keep it tight.

ArkaiHalon
09-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I've got a rubber washer between the screw and teh blade holder. Seems to hold quite nicely.

Darth Ultionis
09-26-2007, 01:09 PM
how would that keep it tighter? Just trying to understand the mechanics of it....

ArkaiHalon
09-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Friction is a powerful ally.

The rubber washer is sammiched in place between teh shoulder of the thumbscrew and the MHS. The rubber, now compressed between the two, pushes back and the resistance prevents the thumbscrew from being able to turn as freely.

Darth Ultionis
09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
i see. thanks.

Jedi-Loreen
09-26-2007, 04:15 PM
I've never really had much of a problem with my thumb screws coming loose during dueling, I just check them frequently.

The problem I do have, is when I wear a saber on my belt when in costume. I often forget to screw the thumb screw in all the way, after I take out the blade, and I end up losing it while I walk around, since it's not in very far, and friction against the blade isn't helping hold it in. I've lost 3 screws that way, so far. :roll:

Novastar
09-27-2007, 12:16 AM
An alternative to thumbscrews is simply to use recessed head screws, where the screw "head" is simply inside the body of the screw. They are difficult to lose even without a blade, since they are recessed, and additionally, they cannot catch on anything if you size them correctly.

Disadvantages are--they are not "canon" by appearance, and they would pretty much require you to have a pocket-tool to screw/unscrew them.

gundamaniac
09-27-2007, 11:45 AM
but the recessed screws ARE very comfortable for dueling too.

I personally don't use them because I like the look of thumbscrews and i don't like carrying tools around with me for my saber. That and mine aren't really built exlusively for dueling.