PDA

View Full Version : A simple 1 watt Luxeon question

Jay-gon Jinn
09-26-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm in the process of building a bunch of pvc kids' hilts and have a few Luxeon 1 watt stars to use for the light sources, since the blades are going to only be 24 inches long. My question is this: can I run these straight off two AAA's without any kind of resistor, or will I need to order a few micropucks?
I have green, blue, amber and red led's to use. The forward voltage on the red and amber is 2.95 @350mah. The green and blue require a froward voltage of 3.42 @350mah. Will I blow these leds without a current rugulator of some sort?
I was planning on selling a couple of these on ebay to offset the cost of the two I plan on keeping, and may make some more someday. Any help is greatly appreciated.

xwingband
09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah, 2AAA will be okay. Micropucks aren't too expensive though they'd pay for themselves in batteries and make the blade brightness better to boot!

Those PVC hilts are nice for cheap sabers. I'm making one for someone this weekend. :wink:

Jay-gon Jinn
09-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info, X-wing! I'd like to try to keep the costs as low as possible, even if the micropucks are only $10. If I can get away without them, I will for now.

Marsupial
09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
I might be wrong, but from what I saw when I held one, I think the kid sabers at ultrasabers have the simpliest design consisting of an unsinked star/O passing trough a switch to a 3 or 4 AAA battery pack.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I have a couple of those Marsupial, it's what I am basing these off of. I just don't have the tools to drill out the battery end of the hilt like they did, which leaves me room for only two AAA's. See my pvc hilt threads for what I'm doing with the 1 watters!