PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Sword

valeon
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I had an idea of making a plasma sword from the Halo universe, using the same tech that we use to make sabers. I just need some ideas, as far as the handle goes, that will be easy to make, but I want to make a clear "blade" for it, either using LED to fully illuminate the blade, probably two LED's on each side. Either that or use EL wire and completely line the blade with it, and using two seperate power sources for each side of the blade. Where my thoughts have run into a wall, is the material to use to make the hollow blade for the LED's or EL to shine through. If anyone has a good idea, let me know, and feel free to leave any ideas in this thread. Sorry Xwing if this is in the wrong section.

Barmic Rin
09-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Try looking at water pistols.
I've seen some with 'shields' on them that you could maybe take a mould of, them cast in clear plastic to get the Plasma sword, or at least a base to start on.

Something like this (only done a quick search, there's better examples out there):

http://i.ivillage.com/PP/products/toys/Transformer325.jpg

987654321a
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I am currently working on Mjolnir Armor Mark IV. If you dont know what that is, its basically the armor that master chief wears. Let me tell you the plasma sword isnt the easiest thing to make at all. Its been done. Trust me it has. I have seen it in person, but it is very difficult if you want a truly kickass plasma sword. The plasma sword is secondary, meaning, after i finish the armor.

here is a video of a really proffesional armor set topped off with a plasma sword.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QAF5FxzZ17E

valeon
09-25-2007, 04:01 AM
That one is ok. But Im looking to do one with LED rather than EL. I'm thinking of layers of plexiglass and making it with a hollow middle. Also, if you have molds left when your done, I would like to buy them.

987654321a
09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
LED is even more difficult. Its hard for someone that doesnt have the right tools to make one perfectly. dont let that discourage you though. you might have an idea that noone else has though of. so go for it and see where it takes you.

valeon
09-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Then LED it is hehe. You see, I'm a VERY good fiberglass person/thing. I do alot of automotive body repair and other various creative works. Thats why I want the mold for the Mjolnir armor. I would do wonders with it. Expect at least a few ideas from myself for the plasma sword this month then.

987654321a
09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Alright good to know that firebird and I arent the only fiberglassers out there haha. well Good luck on the armor. I cant wait to finish mine up. how are you going to make yours? im shaping mine from clay which i think would be better because you can always fix it all up if you screw up.

valeon
09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I was thinking of taking the original cast out of Foam. Its really easy to work with, but kind of fragile till you get the mold made. Figure that way, any size adjustments would just take a couple minutes with a rough grit sandpaper.
BTW, I got Halo 3 last night....beat it in less than 6 hours. It is definitely for the epic win.

987654321a
09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
yea that would work too. The only problem i have had with clay is that it sometimes doesnt cooperate the way you want it to. but even when you make the armor you can always use sandpaper and bondo to fix it up.

valeon
09-25-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm not a fan of bondo, try using dura-glass. It's like bondo, but fiber based, so you can spread it thicker.

987654321a
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
oh wow thanks for the tip.

987654321a
09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.willyliliana.com/Halo%20Sword/Halo%20Sword.htm

enjoy

a guy i know made that.

Hasid Lafre
09-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Very cool, That handel looks huge thou, Iam sure you could do with better leds and smaller battery pack and say a sith mr sound board.

valeon
10-03-2007, 10:41 AM
wow, that is definitely cool. Will take into consideration when making mine.

Luke-SkyMarcher
10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't play Halo, but my brother does alot, and if the plasma sword you're talking about is the one I'm thinking of, you may find this useful:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=68&product%5Fid=10718