PDA

View Full Version : ROTS ANAKIN DISASSEMBLY -- Newbie Question

jedi.gramma
09-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I plan on converting a MR FX in the future, but in the meantime, I am taking apart a broken one (Blade is cracked and LEDs don't all work) to use the hilt as a prop to match the converted one.

What is the MINIMUM amount of disassembly required to remove the blade only?

I understand the complete disassembly for conversion purposes, but is all that really necessary to just remove the blade?

Thanks for any help and for having patience with a newbie... :D

xwingband
09-22-2007, 07:51 PM
The last steps are removing the blade... so you do have to go through the whole disassembly. Unfortunately because MR wanted them to not be removable it is a bit of work to get to the blades, so there is no "minimum". you'll have to do it all.

jedi.gramma
09-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the quick answer!

I guess the disassembly will be good practice for the conversion. :P

Hasid Lafre
09-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Remember to get one of them new copper bits that tim sells cause trying to take the old one off your more than likley going to crack it.

My broght got away partly without cracking it. theres a slight chip in it IIRC.

jedi.gramma
10-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I've removed every screw and pin I can find in the tutorial pictures and the blade still won't come out...

Any suggestions?

ti-el_terall
10-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Have you:

1. Removed the screws under the bronze buttons? (2 of them)

2. Taken apart the control box and stuffed the switch inside?

If youve done that it should all just slide out. After that, you have to punch the pins out and then you could just simply unconnect the blade.

xwingband
10-05-2007, 06:42 PM
It should just be the three with the arrows. I have noticed though that the blades are really tough trying to pull the holder down the blade though. It goes easier up but of course that's bad. It scratches the blade up...

So if you got all three it should just be some good "oomph" to pull it apart. What I like is having a set of wood piece with holes for the blades, put it in there and tap the blade out with a hammer from the back.

jedi.gramma
10-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, my husband got it out by pounding the blade on the kitchen floor :shock: (it was broken anyway)

Thanks for all the help!

Jay-gon Jinn
10-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I have one of these that I have dismatled up to the blade removal as well, and it looks like it has three pins on both sides...or do those pins go all the way through the holder?

Lord Maul
10-05-2007, 10:22 PM
The big pins go all the way through the holder. However, there should only be two, not three :?

jedi.gramma
10-06-2007, 04:07 PM
In this picture tutorial, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5

In the 13th picture down, the one with three red arrows, you can see the pins that have to be removed. The two on the left go all the way through, and were really hard to get loose. We tapped on them with a screwdriver and hammer. The pin on the far right pries off with the blade of a small screwdriver, and there is on on the opposite side, too.

Even with all the pins removed, the chrome emitter piece did not want to slide off the blade... it took brute force and cooking spray to get it off... :shock:

If you're trying to save the blade, brute force is probably not recommended... :D

Jay-gon Jinn
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
I got it gramma, thanks for the info, too, Maul. The blade holder slid off fairly easily but I slid down the blade to the tip end. I test wired it up to a battery pack and speaker, and it all worked. Except for the leds that are out in the strip, of course.

Luuc'ha
11-01-2007, 09:19 AM
what are those copper things (second arrow), are those pins? or screws? do I have to remove them or just losen them?

http://thecustomsa.web133.discountasp.net/forum/05anakin/3.jpg

Ghostbat
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
You have to take those out to get the primary sleeve to come off, a padded pair of needle nosed pliers (I just wrapped mine with masking tape) works well.

A warning, they will not go back in as tightly as they were originally, I have had one fall out since which doesn't bother me too much as I plan to customize the thing quite a bit but will probably bother people who want to keep it as a replica. A little tiny drop of silicone adhesive or something when you are reassembling may be a good idea.

Luuc'ha
11-01-2007, 09:48 AM
thx a lot for the fast reply :D

Ghostbat
11-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Also to note is that if the pin is lost the blade shines through the hole... which is kind of cool, I might take the remaining three pins out and drill out the holes...