PDA

View Full Version : 420 Lumen 8w LED

Firebird21
09-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know how practical it would be for us, but it's good stuff anyways.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070921/139483/

Seoul Semiconductor has announced that its R&D team has achieved a single LED with brightness of 400 lumens. This is much brighter than conventional single LED emitting around 100 lumens maximum. This high performance LED, as a next-generation lighting source, is also claimed to be the brightest LED at the level of 8W in the industry.

The single package product emits up to 420 lumens at 600mA maximum and 350 lumens on average. The size is ultra-slim, similar to that of single LED packages emitting 100 lumens. This high power package provides more freedom in design applications and lowers the price of the applications.

This product can be used for the universal applications such as general residential lighting, automotive headlights, architectural lighting, headlight for tasks, streetlighting, torch lighting, camping lights, and signage lighting. The product is expected to commercialize by the fourth quarter of 2007.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/09/led420.jpg

I guess it's the one on the left.

Hasid Lafre
09-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Yes the p4 is on the right.

But again theres prollynot an optic for this thing. more or less a flashlight, street sign stuff.

But the fact that it takes 8V just to power its prolly gonna need a huge heatsink.

I would rather deal with an atlas led than that.

xwingband
09-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Yes the p4 is on the right.

But again theres prollynot an optic for this thing. more or less a flashlight, street sign stuff.

But the fact that it takes 8V just to power its prolly gonna need a huge heatsink.

I would rather deal with an atlas led than that.

The optics would be funny...

You really don't know what you are saying though... Watts DOES NOT = Volts. They said 8W and I assume given the 600mA stat that means it actually takes around 12V.

Not only that...

An Atlas LED takes 12V also!!! If you look closely at an Atlas it has 4 normal dies on it. 4 80 lumen dies equals the 240 lumens it's supposed to give and accounts for the voltage too.

If you want 240 lumens why futz with the 12V of an Atlas when the P4 gives 240 lumens at 3.7V and 1A? Why futz with an Atlas is it takes the same voltage and more amps than this new one?

It's about efficiency people!

DACOTA
09-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Right on! :D This is pretty interesting.I'm still new to using leds and other hi-tech stuff as it were but this is very cool,a little too much voltage needed but still cool.

Hasid Lafre
09-21-2007, 03:35 PM
YEah I got v and w mixed up for some reasion.

I havent had much sleep the past couple days.

Jeb Ardunis
09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Watts DOES NOT = Volts.

Sorry for the random comment, but it's a little formula I've remembered over the years...

Watts = Volts x Amps (W=VA)

Might de-rail the topic a tad, but I needed to post something to clear my stressed mind. :D

Firebird21
09-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Did someone say derail? :shock:

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/TCSSBanner1.jpg

:twisted:

Hasid Lafre
09-22-2007, 02:14 AM
lol

LAN-ED-TUL
09-24-2007, 04:31 AM
so anyone figured out the optics to use with the P4 in our sabers yet?

from the sounds of it, the batt packs still could remian small like one for the hasbro boards.etc...

and i havent read yet, but whats the color options on them? just white, or what?

just curious on these, as i had considered one of these for my next saber project whenever optics can be done for a P4.

xwingband
09-24-2007, 05:02 AM
so anyone figured out the optics to use with the P4 in our sabers yet?

:?: ... P4's use the exact same optics as a Luxeon. They are a direct replacement as I said many times in many places. Same voltage and amps, you literally have to change nothing to use it and get tons more light.

White only.

Angelus Lupus
09-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Sounds like they'd be great for those of use using filters and wanting brighter results. How does a LEE filtered P4 compare with the lux's?

Dregan
09-24-2007, 05:49 AM
coupla things - Seoul does make P4 in limited color (OK, dental blue, but still...) - I just have yet to find someone who actually stocks them.

Optics for a P4 are interchangable with Lux optics - assuming the P4 is mounted on a regular star. I've seen some odd ones lately. Square boards and such. Odd...

I had an Atlas about 3 minutes after they were announced. Well, I [/i]ordered[/i] it. like the K2, there was an initial lag, it was actually like 3 weeks. Anyway. Between the odd form factor (3 mounting indentations instead of 4 on a star, high emitter dome, making optics a little tighter than I'd like) and the high Vf, I played with it, but I never put it in a saber or a flashlight or any other project. If I want 200+ lumens, a K2 or preferably a P4 is a lot easier to wirk with, and more energy efficient. There are people here who are more patient than I in dealing with the Atlas.

I'm waiting on this to see what form fator it is. Need a data sheet, I do, yes. If it's a side-by-side comparison with a P4, same scale, then I'm all 'bout it 'bout it, cuz' that'd be easy cheesy to put on a blank star.