PDA

View Full Version : help i need help

sekrogue1985
09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
i need to know where would i put the resister for the LED if i am going to make my saber quick change. the think is it will be attached to a soundboard so the set up on the site will not work with the resitstor by the the power switch cause everything is already wired. What i was thinking is to put the resistor on the part that will be the LED light and not the end that will be attached to the sound board . also i need to know which end is or should i put it ont he end that will not be part of the LED module and attached to the sound board negative wire i just want some info so if you could please help it will be rocking

xwingband
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
HELP! I need punctuation and capitalization.

Not trying to be mean but answers are easier to give if we don't need to read it two or three times to understand what you are asking.

If I deciphered your post correctly I'm 90% sure you will not need a resistor. Almost all soundboard will take care of the LED in some way.

goldsaberwarrior
09-20-2007, 09:01 PM
You almost never need a resistor if you use a soundboard except under very specific circumstances. I recommend a soundboard more because they can regulate the voltage better and have more protection from overload than a resistor. As far as your set up that's up to you.

Jetsi
09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I thought sound boards didn't like too much voltage, from other posts I have read. I am looking to run the 7.2 NIMH on a Hasbro board, and was going to get the 2.2 ohm 5 watt resistor to power it. Is this not needed?

xwingband
09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I thought sound boards didn't like too much voltage, from other posts I have read. I am looking to run the 7.2 NIMH on a Hasbro board, and was going to get the 2.2 ohm 5 watt resistor to power it. Is this not needed?

huh?

Put 7.2V to a hasbro and it will go POOF!

Were you thinking of resistoring power to it? That's bad. You'd just be wasting power. Give it what it wants... more is not better in that case.

neophyl
09-21-2007, 12:59 AM

First off you do not use a resistor to drop VOLTAGE to a safe level. You use it to limit CURRENT. You cant use a resistor to drop the power to a safe level for your hasbro soundboard.

If you give the hasbro the voltage it likes and use it to drive the led then the reason you dont generally need a resistor of the led output is that the board itself doesnt really drive the led to capacity so a CURRENT LIMITING resistor to protect the led isnt needed.

If you want to use 7.2v on a hasbro try buying a 2-3 amp 5v regulator and wiring that up to your batteries to power the hasbro board. That will drop the voltage to 5v which a hasbro will happily run on.

Jetsi
09-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Put 7.2V to a hasbro and it will go POOF!

That is what i was thinking, hence the question.

Neophyl, thanks for the clarification. I am going to be heading to the library within a few days to pick up a dummies guide to electronics, because it is painfully obvious that I need it. :oops:

Novastar
09-22-2007, 04:25 AM
Jetsi... hey, we're ALL here helping out one another.

For the record, I've never read a single book on electronics. Oh wait--I recant that... the names of the books I've read were called...

...hmm... lemme see here. .... AH! Got 'em:

* Corbin
* Tim
* Alex
* Erv
* Edwin
* Do-Clo
* Phil (Cael from BOP I)
* NeoPhyl
* X-Wing

Um... I think there are more, but I won't confuse you so much... :) And don't ask me which books were the best, I say they are all equally good, although I will say the French electronique book was the most involved and intense thus far.

Published by some company called "Buttered Toast".

Strange, no? :)

Jetsi
09-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Strange, yes :P ,

Well, did some more looking on the internet, through the forum, decided to make my own battery pack. So I now have 4 NIMH AA's putting out 5.1V and 2000 mah made into a rechargable pack that will end up sitting in the top part of the saber.

I will get this Luke ROTJ conversion and mod done if it kills me.

K, my hijacking of this thread is done.

LAN-ED-TUL
09-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Edwin?

Novastar
09-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Eandori... you know him as Eandori, Lan-Ed... :)